2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't know how to process seeing our pick at 29 (our own pick that is).

The way he's got his mock we would lose to the Blues in the conference final as Philly is picking 30th, St. Louis owns that pick. In order for that to happen we would have to be a wild card team that crosses over to the pacific. I get he's just going based on standings but I like it more when people put thought into the non-lotto picks.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Haven't seen many mocks yet. Here's one. Question for the prospect gurus. Who the heck is Ty Emberson? If we took him with Jett Woo on the board would you pull your hair out?

Recrutes

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

Chevy must be pretty high on him if he traded up to nab him. ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Pretty interesting Mark Edwards mentioned on his Hockeyprospects.com site that

As we reach the Christmas break, we are getting a better feel for this 2018 NHL Draft. We knew entering the season that this was not going to be one of the stronger drafts, but as we approach the fourth month of viewings, this draft appears to be weaker than we expected. HP’s Mark Edwards says NHL scouts are talking, “I can’t a recall a year since I’ve been doing this when the scouts spoke about a draft being weak as much as they have this year. Barely a day goes by in the rink that I don’t hear it from someone. Obviously those are just opinions of the overall draft, that doesn’t mean it’s not without some high end players.”

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah no high end centers available. Mostly defencemen which are always a bit of a gamble. Lots of winger depth though. Weaker than usual Ontario crop which tends to be a stronger area of the draft and weaker than average Euro crop. Two very high end players at the top though. Overall not really living up to expectations. Veleno and Tkachuk were thought to be very high end players coming in and both are struggling compared to expectations.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

??? I thought this was supposed to be a strong draft. Just that the first round would be dominated by Dmen. Is it really looking weak or is it just that some pundits/scouts are looking for exciting C's?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
??? I thought this was supposed to be a strong draft. Just that the first round would be dominated by Dmen. Is it really looking weak or is it just that some pundits/scouts are looking for exciting C's?

Mark Edwards has a pretty good pulse on things. Only December still so we’ll see.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mark Edwards has a pretty good pulse on things. Only December still so we’ll see.

If these guys can't identify the strong and weak draft classes a year or two in advance how are we supposed to know what kind of mood to be in? Sheesh! :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah no high end centers available. Mostly defencemen which are always a bit of a gamble. Lots of winger depth though. Weaker than usual Ontario crop which tends to be a stronger area of the draft and weaker than average Euro crop. Two very high end players at the top though. Overall not really living up to expectations. Veleno and Tkachuk were thought to be very high end players coming in and both are struggling compared to expectations.

Veleno played on the team with the weakest offense in the Q and accounted for 38% of their offense. Hard to say if he is having as disappointing a year as many are letting on. It will be interesting to see what he does on his new team. Someone might get a very nice player late in the first round or early second. He impressed me at the Hlinka last summer.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only player I want us to draft is Jett Woo because he's from Winnipeg and will have not only the best Winnipeg Jets name in franchise history, but potentially the best name in NHL history too. Otherwise, I don't see why we need more prospects, we're taking off (literally) as is.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Only player I want us to draft is Jett Woo because he's from Winnipeg and will have not only the best Winnipeg Jets name in franchise history, but potentially the best name in NHL history too. Otherwise, I don't see why we need more prospects, we're taking off (literally) as is.

The great thing about talented prospects even on loaded NHL teams is that they will provide low cost options for us on their ELC’s when we are having cap issues. That can provide a massive advantage.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The great thing about talented prospects even on loaded NHL teams is that they will provide low cost options for us on their ELC’s when we are having cap issues. That can provide a massive advantage.

I am aware of that, but if we're REALLY contending we should try and get as many experienced assets as we could possibly get. But only other reason to keep the pick is if we can't get a good deal for them.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Unless you are trading your first for a star.. Karlsson.. Tavares types. ... Id keep it. Jets are gonna need some ELC players in the future and also our defensive depth.. While not awful... Isnt good.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Someone will take a gamble on him, all it takes is one team to be super high on him

Yeah I just don't think he should be our gamble not yet. I'd be more inclined if we were a regular playoff team. But we need a few more safer picks for now.

Yeah lack of centers will always term a draft as weak. Defencemen are very hit and miss even at the top of the draft. there always tends to be winger depth. Plus having a few of the highly touted guys slipping a bit like Veleno and Tkachuk makes it look weaker than many thought heading in.

Veleno played on the team with the weakest offense in the Q and accounted for 38% of their offense. Hard to say if he is having as disappointing a year as many are letting on. It will be interesting to see what he does on his new team. Someone might get a very nice player late in the first round or early second. He impressed me at the Hlinka last summer.

Rimouski isn't exactly loaded with talent but a young Lefreniere is putting up a better PPG pace as a 16 year old and leading the team. Veleno should at least be expected to be quite a bit farther ahead of him by now. Safin has been arguably a better player for Saint John over the season. Not that Veleno is looking bad he just isn't looking like the kind of player you drop a top 3 pick on.

I am aware of that, but if we're REALLY contending we should try and get as many experienced assets as we could possibly get. But only other reason to keep the pick is if we can't get a good deal for them.

Unless you are trading your first for a star.. Karlsson.. Tavares types. ... Id keep it. Jets are gonna need some ELC players in the future and also our defensive depth.. While not awful... Isnt good.

Yeah unless we are making a big push to acquire a world beater we should hold onto this pick. We will need all the picks we can get over the next couple of seasons as younger guys earn more and we need guys to step in on ELC's to help the team remain competitive.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
So you don't like Jett woo?
What’s not to like great player,His dad was the Asian guy in the movie Goon so he may have some Acting ability as well!! I played with his dad back in the day and he was a solid player himself obviously talent is in Jett’s bloodlines.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Every year I hear about it's a "Strong draft" especially when you see Canadian teams near the bottom of the standings. Also people are usually only are talking about the first 5 picks when they say that.

I don't even care about where we draft, if Jett Woo is available, we NEED to take him only for his name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Every year I hear about it's a "Strong draft" especially when you see Canadian teams near the bottom of the standings. Also people only are talking about the first 5 picks when they say that.

I don't even care about where we draft, if Jett Woo is available, we NEED to take him only for his name.
If I was in the position to make the pick, I would find it incredibly tempting to go out there and say "The Winnipeg Jetts Wood like to select... from the Moose Jaw Wooriors..."

Plot twist: continue with "Luka Burzan".

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Every year I hear about it's a "Strong draft" especially when you see Canadian teams near the bottom of the standings. Also people are usually only are talking about the first 5 picks when they say that.

Yup, want Jett. :laugh: Just gotta.

We heard about both '16 & '17 being somewhat weak classes for a couple of years ahead, by my memory. In '16 we even heard that the top 2 were good, not great because '15 had McD & Eichel. It turned out they were near the same level and a stronger pair than many classes have at the top. The rest of that class was not that great though. I think '17 was not as bad as the early assessments made it out to be. Good, not great at the top but pretty deep, I think. But '18, I have been seeing for 2 years already was supposed to be epicly strong. Now all of a sudden it isn't that good. My guess is because its strength is in Dmen not uber high scoring F's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad