2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't think we ever get to that point. See Dax's post above. Trading high picks for rentals is suicidal.

Yep. 1st/2nd round picks are moved at every deadline but I can't recall the last TD rental that moved the needle for a team. Nashville has never traded their 1st for a pure rental, closest they came was with Mike Fisher but they signed him longterm. I am fine with the Jets never moving their 1st or 2nd on a deadline rental.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yep. 1st/2nd round picks are moved at every deadline but I can't recall the last TD rental that moved the needle for a team. Nashville has never traded their 1st for a pure rental, closest they came was with Mike Fisher but they signed him longterm. I am fine with the Jets never moving their 1st or 2nd on a deadline rental.

The only time it should even be an option is if there is a clear, gaping hole somewhere that can be filled with a reasonably priced rental. TD rentals are usually priced at about the same as the same player should bring if under team control mid to long term.

The kind of price we payed for Stempniak is good anytime but that kind of bargain is rare.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Paul Gaustad was traded for a 1st

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Nashville has never traded their 1st for a pure rental, closest they came was with Mike Fisher but they signed him longterm.

Fisher, Gaustad, Franson. Nashville is the probably the worst example you could have thought of. :laugh:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That Minnesota trade for Hanzal is the perfect example
True. That team simply collapsed after the TDL.

I would advise against trading any 1st/2nd at any time, unless a really good player was offered to us. We need to retain our best shots at acquiring quality players, plain and simple.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
True. That team simply collapsed after the TDL.

I would advise against trading any 1st/2nd at any time, unless a really good player was offered to us. We need to retain our best shots at acquiring quality players, plain and simple.

Trading high picks for good young players under team control for significant periods is one thing. Trading them for rentals, usually older and not always all that good either is another thing altogether. I would make Calgary's trade for Hamilton all day, anytime.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
If we end the season near as well as our record looks right now and draft in 20s, this guy might be a great value pick: Dominik Bokk. Great numbers in Swedish juniors and his highlights are absolutely unreal.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If we end the season near as well as our record looks right now and draft in 20s, this guy might be a great value pick: Dominik Bokk. Great numbers in Swedish juniors and his highlights are absolutely unreal.

Have to agree he looks pretty good I think he may end up a riser though. Especially with a few other guys falling off a bit.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
BPA is obviously the way to go but I'll still be disappointed if Chevy drafts another winger. Unless I feel like it's an absolute steal, like Tkachuk or Zadina at 20s, of course. I feel like we are already set on wings for a long time and we still have Vesalainen in the system

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
BPA is obviously the way to go but I'll still be disappointed if Chevy drafts another winger. Unless I feel like it's an absolute steal, like Tkachuk or Zadina at 20s, of course. I feel like we are already set on wings for a long time and we still have Vesalainen in the system

With the defencemen available we should be able to pull out a good one. I'd definitely prefer a dman. McIsaac should drop to late 1st. Merkley might but hard to say if the Jets target him. A lot will depend on the interviews.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
With the defencemen available we should be able to pull out a good one. I'd definitely prefer a dman. McIsaac should drop to late 1st. Merkley might but hard to say if the Jets target him. A lot will depend on the interviews.
I'd love to gamble on Merkley with a late 1st round pick, even if the interviews don't go as well as you'd hope. His potential upside is just so high

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd love to gamble on Merkley with a late 1st round pick, even if the interviews don't go as well as you'd hope. His potential upside is just so high

It definitely is. But with the rumours swirling and the way the Jets like their picks.. I'm not so sure we would take him even if he is available. Plus his complete lack of a defensive game has a lot of people worried. Prone to just completely giving up sometimes. It's an odd sight. I had some concerns with Makar but his was more about bailing the zone early which I think was more a part of Brooks system. Merkley just shows a complete lack of interest in helping his team out defensively sometimes. Some real controller off type of moments.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It definitely is. But with the rumours swirling and the way the Jets like their picks.. I'm not so sure we would take him even if he is available. Plus his complete lack of a defensive game has a lot of people worried. Prone to just completely giving up sometimes. It's an odd sight. I had some concerns with Makar but his was more about bailing the zone early which I think was more a part of Brooks system. Merkley just shows a complete lack of interest in helping his team out defensively sometimes. Some real controller off type of moments.
I'd imagine that we might hear about his Combine interviews at some point in the future. There's potential for him pulling a Filatov.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Who do you think would still be available if we have to draft 20-28th?

In that range Woo could be available if he is we should nab him. Dobson is another good pick. Potentially McIsaac or Samuelsson. There are a few under the radar guys that we could take a stab at. Khovanov could drop and be a great pickup. I think Milos Roman would be an excellent addition.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Haven't seen many mocks yet. Here's one. Question for the prospect gurus. Who the heck is Ty Emberson? If we took him with Jett Woo on the board would you pull your hair out?

Recrutes

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Haven't seen many mocks yet. Here's one. Question for the prospect gurus. Who the heck is Ty Emberson? If we took him with Jett Woo on the board would you pull your hair out?

Recrutes

IMG_5020.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

IMG_5017.jpg

McGagg is pretty low on Woo for some reason so likely why he doesn't have him in the first round. I'd be pretty pissed personally if we left him or really a number of other guys on the board for Emberson. He's mobile and a decent shutdown option but he has zero offence. Woo destroys him in every measurable way IMO but McCagg has a hate on for the kid.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
McGagg is pretty low on Woo for some reason so likely why he doesn't have him in the first round. I'd be pretty pissed personally if we left him or really a number of other guys on the board for Emberson. He's mobile and a decent shutdown option but he has zero offence. Woo destroys him in every measurable way IMO but McCagg has a hate on for the kid.

Thanks. Lots of time left for risers and fallers. Also if we're picking that late it would mean we've had a pretty successful season

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't know how to process seeing our pick at 29 (our own pick that is).

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
McCagg is a bum and was a huge asshole to me in the past. He's lied about his scouting history and I have no idea who the "scouts" are that he gets quotes from because no one will talk to him. He hasn't been seen in a rink in ages and mostly relies on video scouting that you or I could do. Highly doubt he pays the money to watch anyone overseas either.

I completely ignore him now. Sorry for the rant, but the dude has problems.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Does anybody have an opinion on Lundeström? 9 points in 20 games in SHL seems promising.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
McCagg is a bum and was a huge ******* to me in the past. He's lied about his scouting history and I have no idea who the "scouts" are that he gets quotes from because no one will talk to him. He hasn't been seen in a rink in ages and mostly relies on video scouting that you or I could do. Highly doubt he pays the money to watch anyone overseas either.

I completely ignore him now. Sorry for the rant, but the dude has problems.

I agree the guy is a bit of a joke. He's really not much more of a scout than anyone who watches video on here. His hot takes on some guys are laughable. How he doesn't have Woo in the first round is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad