2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We seem to love the USHL. Maybe watch a future Jet here.

USHL not looking overly strong this year. Wouldn't mind taking a swing at Drury's nephew in later rounds. Though he is committed to Harvard which basically guarantee's if he is good he won't be signing with us until year 4 if he does at all.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I hate to be a party pooper but anyone who thinks we will get Woo as a playoff team will be disappointed. Unless for some reason every team is sleeping on him.

Its always hard to say Dax.....last season Toronto was a playoff team and they ended up with Liljegren and I think that was a much longer shot than Woo falling to a team at lets say 20ish? Either way I don't want to get my heart set on anyone until I see where it is we will be picking.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Its always hard to say Dax.....last season Toronto was a playoff team and they ended up with Liljegren and I think that was a much longer shot than Woo falling to a team at lets say 20ish? Either way I don't want to get my heart set on anyone until I see where it is we will be picking.
Agreed. It's hard to know who will fall to #31 :);)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Agreed. It's hard to know who will fall to #31 :);)

haha but in all seriousness boys if we draft 31 I could care less who we draft. Take any chance you want at that point.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Ya if its 31 I don't care what we do with it..........could even trade it for a Reinhart or Strome, I dont care.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
haha but in all seriousness boys if we draft 31 I could care less who we draft. Take any chance you want at that point.

Out of all the posts this past season the bolded is the one I agree most with.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The post WJHC list is out and Button has two Swedes going 1-2. Would be big news in Stockholm. Look who he has ranked at #31. Jets current seeding would pick 29th BTW.

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
There you go, Woo and Addison right in the wheelhouse haha..

Also it was pretty silly that Durzi didn't get drafted last season, nice to see him rated that high as an overager.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
31 out of Button's top 75 are D (and 29 of the first 61) Come one come all, step right up and get yourself some.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Looking at Buttons rankings there are so many solid prospects available in the 20s and later that I would be happy with taking in the teens.

Ty Smith
Kotkaniemi
Woo
K'Andre Miller (this guy screams a Jets pick but I honestly don't see him lasting past #15)

And to a slightly lesser extent Addison.

Reactions: Rheged

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
would've liked if the jets pulled a centre from those last 2 drafts
instead they went with a ld and a winger

I guess an rd could be the right call for this draft..especially if we're gonna draft later on in the 1st round

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Someone did a comparison of Buttons rankings over the last few years vs where guys actually went in the draft and he is usually really far off. He also puts a tonne of weight into international tuornies, specifically the Hlinka. I wouldn't use Buttons list as any sort of indication as to who will be available at which pick. Typically McKenzies list is a lot closer to where guys actually go.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Woo has dropped in the rankings. I think he will be around in the 15 to 25 range.

One guy in the Jets range if we pick that low could be Serron Noel, big rangy winger from Oshawa. Long stride needs to work on his quickness but he kind of falls into that Jets type pick. Calen Addison would have all the analytic people drooling as he checks off a lot of boxes with his humbers. His skating is top notch, but his size is not.

Reactions: Rheged

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Someone did a comparison of Buttons rankings over the last few years vs where guys actually went in the draft and he is usually really far off. He also puts a tonne of weight into international tuornies, specifically the Hlinka. I wouldn't use Buttons list as any sort of indication as to who will be available at which pick. Typically McKenzies list is a lot closer to where guys actually go.

As someone who doesn't follow these players that closely I tend to pay attention to three lists during the season.

Button
Pronman
McKenzie

They all bring different things to the table. Button's list is likely pretty typical of a single NHL team's list. He thinks like a GM. Pronman values things a lot differently than Button and seems to think outside the NHL box. The McKenzie consensus list, especially the one closest to the draft is the list that will most accurately show how the draft will go.

I think the combination gives a casual observer a broad picture. Closer to the draft I start paying attention to others

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Looking at Buttons rankings there are so many solid prospects available in the 20s and later that I would be happy with taking in the teens.

Ty Smith
Kotkaniemi
Woo
K'Andre Miller (this guy screams a Jets pick but I honestly don't see him lasting past #15)

And to a slightly lesser extent Addison.
He would be a great addison to the prospect pipeline. ;)

Looking at Button's list, one name that stands out is Mattias Samuelsson. Based on a quick stat watching session, he ticks quite a few boxes; he plays in the US development program (our luck with those Americans has been something else), has a huge frame (6'4" /216) and has put up some points this year (13 in 27). He is a LHD, too. Does anybody have any info on him?

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I have fallen in love with Evan Bouchard's game. Out of curiosity (though I dont think we should), what do you think we would need to trade to draft in the 10-15 range?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What I find weird is that Woo seems to follow us in the standings. Wonder if the media heads are trying to manifest some destiny in regards to Woo. There is really no reason he should be falling. 1D on the best team in the WHL and top 2 team in the entire CHL. Kid can't really do much more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad