2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
2020 might end up being a year to remember. Lafreniere has started this year off with 12 points in ten games, leading his team in points.

This is his draft -2 season.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Is there any hope we could squeeze a mid 1st rounder out of Myers? Poolman deserves icetime, and Im starting to really like what 2018 draft has to offer. McBain/Veleno with the first mid rounder, and Smith/Wilde/Woo/McIsaac/Merkley with the 2nd one

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Anyone gotten recent viewings on Jett Woo? I had planned to watch him live when he was in town last week but something came up, moreover the service I used last season to stream junior games is offline :(. His scouting reports look amazing, a physical d-man who lays the body and is putting up points like he is and is still ranked between 13-25, should be prime target for us even if it wasn't for his Winnipeg roots and that amazing name.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone gotten recent viewings on Jett Woo? I had planned to watch him live when he was in town last week but something came up, moreover the service I used last season to stream junior games is offline :(. His scouting reports look amazing, a physical d-man who lays the body and is putting up points like he is and is still ranked between 13-25, should be prime target for us even if it wasn't for his Winnipeg roots and that amazing name.

I've watched every home game this season in person and most away games. What would you like to know?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've watched every home game this season in person and most away games. What would you like to know?

Wonder if he is going to be a Provorov two way type where he settles into a top pairing roll in the NHL? Maybe not quite as slick as Provorov at the same age? When I watched Provy in junior I was screaming from the rooftop that he was a sure fire top paring NHL D man and most likely a solid #1 on a team. Woo seems very pro like already and like Provy he doesn’t seem to have any gaps in his game that a normal junior D man of his age usually have. With Woo I don’t see any weaknesses maybe just a lack of as high an offensive ceiling as some of his piers in what might be the best D man draft class I have seen.

It will be interesting he currently has 14 points in 14 games so that checks the scoring box although I think you mentioned he plays big minutes.....is he on the first PP unit.

I would love him on the Jets.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wonder if he is going to be a Provorov two way type where he settles into a top pairing roll in the NHL? Maybe not quite as slick as Provorov at the same age? When I watched Provy in junior I was screaming from the rooftop that he was a sure fire top paring NHL D man and most likely a solid #1 on a team. Woo seems very pro like already and like Provy he doesn’t seem to have any gaps in his game that a normal junior D man of his age usually have. With Woo I don’t see any weaknesses maybe just a lack of as high an offensive ceiling as some of his piers in what might be the best D man draft class I have seen.

It will be interesting he currently has 14 points in 14 games so that checks the scoring box although I think you mentioned he plays big minutes.....is he on the first PP unit.

I would love him on the Jets.

I see more Vlasic in his game than anything. He logs huge minutes with the Warriors, top pairing, PP1, PK1. A buddy of mine does some stats for the Warriors and said he's had a few games around 30 mins of ice time. Which is nutty for a junior Dman.
He plays a strong defensive game in his own zone, which is really his bread and butter. He is built like a tank. He likes to play a physical brand of shutdown hockey with a very active stick. Gets in shooting lanes and angles out guys with efficiency. His gap control is among the best I've seen from a WHL dman. He just knows where to be and how to get there and effectively shut the opposition down. His offensive ability is really in his transition game. He just makes simple plays with the puck. Uses the boards and pivots well to get away from forecheckers. The best part of his skating is his edges, he can move in tight space very well. He makes some great stretch passes and can open up the defence with them frequently. Very high IQ player but isn't flashy. On the PP he is a great QB and gets the majority of his goals from heavy slappers from the point. He often likes to keep them low to cause chaos in front of the net. But sometimes he picks the high corners. All in all I see him having a Vlasic type career with a bit more production. A 30-40 point shutdown type dman who can log all situations minutes. Perhaps he finds a niche on a teams PP because of his shooting and passing and can attain 50 regularly. I think he may be close to pro-ready. At 6'0-6'1 - 205-210 he is built like a bull. Very strong on his skates, doesn't mind getting into scrums either not afraid to stand up for himself or teammates.

I think he has a pretty high floor. Perhaps the highest outside of Dahlin. He doesn't display a tonne of flash like a lot of the other dmen so without watching him regularly I think some teams might not be as enamoured with him. I've heard rumours of some teams thinking he is a late first round pick because he lacks the end-to-end rushing abilities.
If the Jets can snag this kid I will be beyond ecstatic.

Reactions: cg98 and ps241

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Is there any hope we could squeeze a mid 1st rounder out of Myers? Poolman deserves icetime, and Im starting to really like what 2018 draft has to offer. McBain/Veleno with the first mid rounder, and Smith/Wilde/Woo/McIsaac/Merkley with the 2nd one
I think you get that in a heartbeat.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I think you get that in a heartbeat.

Probably. But I'm still on the fence about who to keep between him and Buff. We could move Buff next off season. Either way we have Poolman knocking on the door. And with the contract Buff has and the contract's we need to sign. I'd prefer to try and move Buff next year and garner an extra pick for 2019. 2018 has some great Dmen available and we should grab one. But 2019 has a tonne of centers available and I think getting an extra 1st rounder there could prove to be fruitful.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Consensus top20, November (5 lists)

AVGHIGH
1R DahlinD1.01
2A SvechnikovRW2.02
3A BoqvistD4.03
4F ZadinaLW4.44
5B TkachukLW4.83
6Q HughesD6.04
7O WahlstromRW7.65
8T SmithD9.05
9J VelenoC10.47
10R KupariC11.86
11J McIsaacD12.89
12J FarabeeLW13.48
13B WildeD15.011
14R McLeodC16.69
15R MerkleyD17.410
16A ThomasC18.711
17J WooD19.817
18J KotkaniemiLW19.912
19I LundestromLW20.415
20J McBainC22.418
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Consensus top20, November (5 lists)

AVGHIGH
1R DahlinD1.01
2A SvechnikovRW2.02
3A BoqvistD4.03
4F ZadinaLW4.44
5B TkachukLW4.83
6Q HughesD6.04
7O WahlstromRW7.65
8T SmithD9.05
9J VelenoC10.47
10R KupariC11.86
11J McIsaacD12.89
12J FarabeeLW13.48
13B WildeD15.011
14R McLeodC16.69
15R MerkleyD17.410
16A ThomasC18.711
17J WooD19.817
18J KotkaniemiLW19.912
19I LundestromLW20.415
20J McBainC22.418
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
One McBain with fries and Coke, please

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Buttons latest. Since we're winning the SC this year and we're picking late How about a pick that @yyz can make his own.

Adam Ginning anyone? ;)

Craig’s List: Dahlin dominating, one Canadian in Top 10 - Article - TSN

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We should just trade our first. We have enough prospects.

As a team that isn't a big FA destination. I think we only trade our 1st if a massive opportunity presents itself. Trading for a rental is a bad idea. Plus any guy we draft is likely 2 year away and likely more. In a cap world we need these good young guys coming in on ELCs to replacr vets who want way to much money for services rendered.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
As a team that isn't a big FA destination. I think we only trade our 1st if a massive opportunity presents itself. Trading for a rental is a bad idea. Plus any guy we draft is likely 2 year away and likely more. In a cap world we need these good young guys coming in on ELCs to replacr vets who want way to much money for services rendered.

Fair enough, but at least by 2020 we should trade for rentals. But I was talking big name players with 3 years left on their contract or something. But I recently agree that we should keep the first.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fair enough, but at least by 2020 we should trade for rentals. But I was talking big name players with 3 years left on their contract or something. But I recently agree that we should keep the first.

It all depends on what the team looks like and whose available at the time.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Don’t think we are at that point yet. We could use another high pedigree D prospect.

I don't think we ever get to that point. See Dax's post above. Trading high picks for rentals is suicidal.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad