2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Does Myers with only one year left on his deal and a pretty extensive injury history really get a 1st round draft pick in return? Seems steep.
i think a mid round pick (20-ish spot) is warranted. With injury history, the pick may be conditional on injuries.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Part2 to my upper post.

Jesse Ylönen is 2nd generation hockey player.
His father Juha played 341 games in NHL representing Phoenix Coyotes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Ottawa Senators.

Jesse 6'1 tall RW is an extremely agile forward and quick stickhandler who likes to play the game at a high pace.
This past season Jesse played 48 games in Espoo United mestis team and he scored 27 points ( 14+13).

Espoo United's season in mestis ( Finland's 2nd league after SM liiga) was a total farce.
Espoo United's team suffered with serious financial problems all season long and went bankruptcy after the season.
Next season Jesse plays in Pelicans Lahti SM liiga team he signed 2 yrs contract with Pelicans last month.

Jesse Ylönen at eliteprospects.com
Jesse Ylönen | FinnProspects.com

Sampo Ranta
Sampo Ranta at eliteprospects.com
Sampo Ranta | FinnProspects.com
https://thehockeywriters.com/sampo-ranta-2018-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Actually Ylonen played for the Jets in a couple of pre-season games looked really good him and Mika Alatalo were all over the ice.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The fact that he is big and played pretty much all of last season might be enough to undo those concerns.

Myers on an expiring deal could yield a 1st IMO. I assume he would at the TD but I have no interest risking the wait with his injury history.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Does Myers with only one year left on his deal and a pretty extensive injury history really get a 1st round draft pick in return? Seems steep.
I think FLA might be a fit, they have the 15th OA. RD depth is Ekblad (signed long term), Pysyk (2 x 2.733M) and Petrovic (RFA). Depends if FLA covets a pure shut down D or an offensive catalyst. Also think EDM is a fit, but I think we would need to add a bit for the 10th.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Same story. Perceived vs actual value.
I saw a somewhat interesting article that argued for a very flattened pick value outside of the top few picks, with the rationale that acquiring an elite player is way more valuable than getting a serviceable NHLer. It's an interesting theory, and if valid, would further argue for quantity over quality outside of the very top of the draft.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Hard to sell that kind of move at the deadline.
Yeah, I don't see the Jets selling at the deadline. I think that if they move roster players like Myers or maybe Perreault, it will be in the offseason and to make some cap space for another good roster player that fills a need. Hard to imagine they trade for pure futures now that they are a true Cup contender.

Reactions: Jetsfareast

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hard to sell that kind of move at the deadline.

Yea that is a huge problem now for this team going forward and why I am curious to see what happens with Myers between now and the start of the season. If we don’t flip him this summer the risk of injury and or us being a playoff team really makes moving him later unlikely. It either means we are renting him for the playoffs or we are planning on keeping him long term which is crappy asset managment “if” we extend Trouba.

I doubt they want to trade him before they have Trouba locked up so this could be interesting.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah, I don't see the Jets selling at the deadline. I think that if they move roster players like Myers or maybe Perreault, it will be in the offseason and to make some cap space for another good roster player that fills a need. Hard to imagine they trade for pure futures now that they are a true Cup contender.

I would like someone who can step into the AHL right away at the least and a 1st preferably. Gives us something in the short and long term that can potentially replace aging assets. Even as a contender if you set yourself up well for the future you can handle losing some 33+ vets a little easier rather then give them big money contracts to stay because you have no one who can step in to fill their role.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Until i know that Trouba absolutely wants to stay a Jet , and is happy being here , i'm not trading Myers . Now if Trouba resigns a new deal then i would definitely look to trading Myers because we are going to need alot of cap space next off season .

Reactions: raideralex99

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Same story. Perceived vs actual value.

How do you determine 'actual value'? Rhetorical.

Players who are surplus to a teams needs have a lower value to that team than they might to some other team that can use them. To a lesser extent the same goes for players in an area of strength who may be underutilized.

Are you suggesting that Chevy would be better off trading Myers for two (mid) 2nds than for one (mid) 1st?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Until i know that Trouba absolutely wants to stay a Jet , and is happy being here , i'm not trading Myers . Now if Trouba resigns a new deal then i would definitely look to trading Myers because we are going to need alot of cap space next off season .

Yeah nothing will be done until we know what happens with Trouba I think that is a foregone conclusion in everyone's speculation.

Reactions: JetBlue420

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
How do you determine 'actual value'? Rhetorical.

Players who are surplus to a teams needs have a lower value to that team than they might to some other team that can use them. To a lesser extent the same goes for players in an area of strength who may be underutilized.

Are you suggesting that Chevy would be better off trading Myers for two (mid) 2nds than for one (mid) 1st?

Rhetorical or not... determining "actual value" is kinda my job.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I saw a somewhat interesting article that argued for a very flattened pick value outside of the top few picks, with the rationale that acquiring an elite player is way more valuable than getting a serviceable NHLer. It's an interesting theory, and if valid, would further argue for quantity over quality outside of the very top of the draft.

I use expected value... so it doesn't account just for having a player but the likely calibre of the player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Rhetorical or not... determining "actual value" is kinda my job.

:laugh: Yeah, OK.

But that is relative, not absolute.

My question stands. Are you suggesting that two 2nds are better than one 1st?

Jets don't need quantity of prospects to fill the bottom of the roster. They need a few with the chance to play higher up.

They have some extras or players who don't fit the puzzle. If some of those assets can be converted into high picks then Chevy should do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00