2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Yeah, I don't see the Jets selling at the deadline. I think that if they move roster players like Myers or maybe Perreault, it will be in the offseason and to make some cap space for another good roster player that fills a need. Hard to imagine they trade for pure futures now that they are a true Cup contender.
I wouldn't have a problem with them moving a replaceable 3rd pair D for picks.

Reactions: surixon and ps241

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
You always need depth. An injury to a RD would leave the Jets very thin there.
The Jets have depth, even without Myers. but really, I just want them to dump half of the 9.8 M 3rd pair.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kuli - Poolman
Morrow - Chia

Gain an asset + more ice time for Jake and Josh + money to spend.

If Chevy can get a player too, great. Restocking picks is also great. If not a 1st, Montreal has 4 2nds.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets have depth, even without Myers. but really, I just want them to dump half of the 9.8 M 3rd pair.

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kuli - Poolman
Morrow - Chia

If Chevy can get a player too, great. Restocking picks is also great. If not a 1st, Montreal has 4 2nds.
I think the Jets would move Perreault before Myers. Both likely need to be moved before 2019/20, assuming they plan to extend Wheeler.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the Jets would move Perreault before Myers. Both likely need to be moved before 2019/20, assuming they plan to extend Wheeler.

My guess is that both Perreault and Myers will have to go at some point as we make tough choices. The thing is Myers will provide real value to teams in need of his strengths. Tyler is expendable because of our quality on the RH side and not many teams are overflowing with right shot D men in fact many teams have the opposite challenge.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Buff
Kuli - Poolman
Morrow - Chia

I don't see Myers being a fit with the Habs unless they are moving one of Alzner, Weber or Petry.
The Oilers, Leafs or the Flyers might be looking for a RHD.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd rather they keep the possession driving middle 6 forward than a 3rd pair D. Myers nets a better return. He's also easier to replace.

Yep. Perreault is more useful in the short term. Myers minutes can be replaced on the 3rd pair and PP2 quite easily.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

From some points of view perhaps moving MP first makes sense - but if Myers is not moved this off season he isn't moved. He is lost for nothing. Call it an own rental if you like but we get no return on him.

Rentals close windows, whether it is moving 1sts or failing to move pending UFA's.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
From some points of view perhaps moving MP first makes sense - but if Myers is not moved this off season he isn't moved. He is lost for nothing. Call it an own rental if you like but we get no return on him.

Rentals close windows, whether it is moving 1sts or failing to move pending UFA's.
Yep. Perreault is more useful in the short term. Myers minutes can be replaced on the 3rd pair and PP2 quite easily.

I don't disagree, but would only note that I think the Jets will be reluctant to go into the season with Kulikov's health in question, Niku as a rookie, and Poolman as the only RHD behind Buff and Trouba. The Jets are in their "win now" window, and would be very reluctant to leave themselves highly vulnerable to an injury or two on D. They might actually consider Myers more as a 1-year rental, while they are in their competitive window. Without Myers, this is how their D shapes up (today)...

LD:

Morrissey
Kulikov (injury concerns)
Chiarot (struggles with speed)
Morrow (needs to be signed)
Niku (rookie)

RD:

Buff
Trouba
Poolman
Nogier?

An injury to Trouba or Buff pushes Poolman up to 2D, and likely requires Kulikov or Chiarot over to RD, leaving a big gap on LD. Two or more injuries to the top-4 means the Jets are looking at Nogier in a regular role.

I think the Jets could paper over Perreault's departure much more easily than Myers on D.

Having said that, I still think the Jets should consider moving both Myers and Perreault for a very good #2/3 C, and then perhaps make a supplementary move to get a lower end RD to play on the 3rd pairing, or behind Poolman.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't disagree, but would only note that I think the Jets will be reluctant to go into the season with Kulikov's health in question, Niku as a rookie, and Poolman as the only RHD behind Buff and Trouba. The Jets are in their "win now" window, and would be very reluctant to leave themselves highly vulnerable to an injury or two on D. They might actually consider Myers more as a 1-year rental, while they are in their competitive window. Without Myers, this is how their D shapes up (today)...

LD:

Morrissey
Kulikov (injury concerns)
Chiarot (struggles with speed)
Morrow (needs to be signed)
Niku (rookie)

RD:

Buff
Trouba
Poolman
Nogier?

An injury to Trouba or Buff pushes Poolman up to 2D, and likely requires Kulikov or Chiarot over to RD, leaving a big gap on LD. Two or more injuries to the top-4 means the Jets are looking at Nogier in a regular role.

I think the Jets could paper over Perreault's departure much more easily than Myers on D.

Having said that, I still think the Jets should consider moving both Myers and Perreault for a very good #2/3 C, and then perhaps make a supplementary move to get a lower end RD to play on the 3rd pairing, or behind Poolman.

Morrow needing to be signed is not an issue. He is just another RFA and hasn't earned a big raise. He is coming off b2b 1 year contracts. He has taken a pay cut in each and finally was traded for a 4th time for very little.

He played well for us in limited use so is worth keeping.

Chiarot and Morrow can both play the right side if needed. Moving Myers opens the door to some issues on D but we have good depth, at least to #7&8.

I can see the 'own rental' argument for keeping Myers but that would just be another 1st used for a rental. We have needs in the not too distant future that we can't fill except through the draft or some blockbuster trade(s). This idea that we can suddenly abandon draft and develop is just wrong.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Morrow needing to be signed is not an issue. He is just another RFA and hasn't earned a big raise. He is coming off b2b 1 year contracts. He has taken a pay cut in each and finally was traded for a 4th time for very little.

He played well for us in limited use so is worth keeping.

Chiarot and Morrow can both play the right side if needed. Moving Myers opens the door to some issues on D but we have good depth, at least to #7&8.

I can see the 'own rental' argument for keeping Myers but that would just be another 1st used for a rental. We have needs in the not too distant future that we can't fill except through the draft or some blockbuster trade(s). This idea that we can suddenly abandon draft and develop is just wrong.
Trade Myers, and if Kulikov's injury woes are debilitating, and you have an injury to either Trouba or Buff, the Jets' D looks like this...

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Poolman
Niku-Morrow

I'm pretty sure the Jets' brass are contemplating that sort of scenario when they think about moving Myers.

Of course, you can't plan for injuries, but with Kulikov's health such a question mark, the Jets will need to think long and hard before moving Myers before next season, I think.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Trade Myers, and if Kulikov's injury woes are debilitating, and you have an injury to either Trouba or Buff, the Jets' D looks like this...

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Poolman
Niku-Morrow

I'm pretty sure the Jets' brass are contemplating that sort of scenario when they think about moving Myers.

Of course, you can't plan for injuries, but with Kulikov's health such a question mark, the Jets will need to think long and hard before moving Myers before next season, I think.
I for one like morrow chariot and poolman. No team has an injury policy for every scenario?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I for one like morrow chariot and poolman. No team has an injury policy for every scenario?
I think Poolman has some potential. Morrow was better than I expected for the Jets, but still makes some awful plays in his own zone. Chiarot is a #7 D at best, in my view. He just doesn't move the puck crisply or quickly enough to manage against very quick opponents like the Preds and Knights.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think Poolman has some potential. Morrow was better than I expected for the Jets, but still makes some awful plays in his own zone. Chiarot is a #7 D at best, in my view. He just doesn't move the puck crisply or quickly enough to manage against very quick opponents like the Preds and Knights.
Nash only plays their top 4 d and are a contender. You can pick up a cheap ufa to play bottom pairings.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Morrissey-Trouba
Chiarot-Poolman
Niku-Morrow

Myers is another who falls into the category of questionable health though. He is coming off his first 80+ game season in 7 years. We run a lot of risk keeping him for a run and him going down for any extended period of time puts us in the exact same situation as if we trade him. Except he still walks to FA at the end of the season and we get absolutely nothing for him. To me it's logical asset management. Our window isn't going to be 1 year long with this core. We need to think past it.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Myers is another who falls into the category of questionable health though. He is coming off his first 80+ game season in 7 years. We run a lot of risk keeping him for a run and him going down for any extended period of time puts us in the exact same situation as if we trade him. Except he still walks to FA at the end of the season and we get absolutely nothing for him. To me it's logical asset management. Our window isn't going to be 1 year long with this core. We need to think past it.
I'm not much against trading Myers, as long as the Jets can pick up a depth RD.

But I'm trying to project how the Jets' management might view things, and I think they will be reluctant to move Myers before next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nash only plays their top 4 d and are a contender. You can pick up a cheap ufa to play bottom pairings.
Sure, but the Jets really only have a solid top-3 D... Buff, Morrissey, Trouba. After that it's Kulikov? Chiarot? Poolman? An injury to one of the top 3 and the Jets quickly become a top-2 team, which will put a lot of pressure on the bottom two pairings.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not much against trading Myers, as long as the Jets can pick up a depth RD.

But I'm trying to project how the Jets' management might view things, and I think they will be reluctant to move Myers before next season.

They might be. Chevy really hasn't run into this problem before with the Jets so it's hard to gauge how they might react. This is the first time the cap has become an issue really. Getting a first + a prospect for Myers, which I think is very doable, would be huge for us down the road.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Sure, but the Jets really only have a solid top-3 D... Buff, Morrissey, Trouba. After that it's Kulikov? Chiarot? Poolman? An injury to one of the top 3 and the Jets quickly become a top-2 team, which will put a lot of pressure on the bottom two pairings.
Well Niku looks like a winner so I'm hoping he can complete the 4 like McAvoy did last year.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Every thread is now an armchair GM thread.

Combine measurement results

haha more like every thread is now "Trade Tyler Myers thread". We need some Jets related news around here soon.

Also funny that Nordgren didn't test. Methinks his height/weight is no where near what it is listed. Also holy moly Veleno only at 150 lbs? At 6'1? He's listed at almost 200lbs damn near everywhere. That is a major weight discrepancy. Almost 50 lbs out?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
haha more like every thread is now "Trade Tyler Myers thread". We need some Jets related news around here soon.

Also funny that Nordgren didn't test. Methinks his height/weight is no where near what it is listed. Also holy moly Veleno only at 150 lbs? At 6'1? He's listed at almost 200lbs damn near everywhere. That is a major weight discrepancy. Almost 50 lbs out?
Typo? (re: Veleno)

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Montreal media and shills (McCagg) seem to be hyping up Kotkaniemi. Interesting.

hype machine at work:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad