2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Nvm, Hurricanes pulled their bed Islanders impression... even outdid them, cripes

1st Period Summary
TimeTeamScoring DetailBOSCAR
19:49
i
Brad Marchand (30)
Assists: David Pastrnak, Riley Nash
2nd Period Summary
2:10
i
Sebastian Aho (25) (Power Play)
Assists: Teuvo Teravainen, Justin Faulk
12:06
i
Teuvo Teravainen (21) (Power Play)
Assists: Sebastian Aho, Justin Faulk
18:43
i
Justin Williams (15)
Assists: Brock McGinn, Elias Lindholm
3rd Period Summary
0:51
i
Brock McGinn (12) (Shorthanded)
Assist: Elias Lindholm
10:04
i
Matt Grzelcyk (3)
Assists: Sean Kuraly, Tim Schaller
11:00
i
David Pastrnak (25)
Assist: Brad Marchand
11:21
i
Danton Heinen (13)
Assists: David Krejci, Rick Nash
16:30
i
David Pastrnak (26) (Power Play)
Assists: Matt Grzelcyk, Brad Marchand
18:26
i
David Pastrnak (27)
Assists: Kevan Miller, Riley Nash
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Up 4-1 51 seconds into the 3rd, lose 6-4.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Chapin, while I agree with some of what you said, even if the Isles want to follow the Nashville model and build around Barzal and the defense, it is going to take a substantial influx of talent on the blue line. They would need to add at least two top-4 defenders to the current cast. I like some of the prospects the Isles have already, but I don't necessarily see a clear top-4 player ready to break out. Maybe some nice 4/5's who could get there with more time and seasoning.

At the moment, we have NO Dmen on the team or in the system who will be able to replace Leddy and perhaps Boychuk in the years to come, and in order to contend, we probably need another two who are as good if not better than Leddy and Boychuk.

I believe de Haan IS better than Boychuk. I also believe that Snow will not re-up him and I think that has to do with what the club knows about his shoulder injury history combined with the 4+ million per he can prolly get on the open market. Besides, all signs are that Toews is a de Haan in the making. Maybe they're correct - he even has the same shoulder woes.

What I know about this draft is that taking 2+ Dmen in the top 50 can potentially give us the replacements for Leddy and Boychuk we'll need in 3-years' time, maybe sooner.

Again, for all those in favor, I think there's no sense in moving our picks to upgrade the blueline for a year or two if we don't even have the coaching in place to get this team to the playoffs.

ANOTHER POINT
We can't forget how terribly terribly difficult it will be for Snow to upgrade just about anything if JT is resigned to the 10+ million we're all expecting him to get.

If JT stays, then the draft, a lucky UFA signing or two and lateral trades will be the only way to improve the team. And many upcoming UFAs will be difficult to hold onto. Not to mention the type of deal we'll likely need to be giving Barzal already as an RFA.

To me, the worst thing this team could do is go halfway. You are either signing JT and fixing the issues on defense, in goal and on the third line - or you sell off some vet parts and really build for Belmont.

What vets? Eberle and Lee?

No-one is taking i.e. Ladd and he's probably among the worst price/performance ration players in the league. Dunno if Clutterbuck and Cizikas will garner interest unless they're being given away.

You still build around Barzal and some of the young players like Beauvillier, Bellows, etc., but you try to make sure you also add another wave of talent ready to hit when you open your new arena. They don't have to sell off every vet, just the ones unlikely to still be playing at a high level in 2-3 seasons.

If Snow were to want to take this route, the best time to have done so was at this trade deadline. I hate the Rag$ as much as anyone, but I'd be very optimistic about things right now if I were a Rag$ fan. VERY optimistic.

This said, I certainly don't see why Snow should have any right to participate in a rebuild. If Tavares can't be retained (I think he'll stay), then you have to dismantle management and coaching anyways. Then the franchise can start turning around.

But if JT stays, chances are we'll see more of the same around here. Snow is all about mediocrity and shooting for the eighth seed. That's all he's ever achieved.

All fans with any knowledge can see that Weight is in over his head and a defense-first coach with a proven track record needs to be put at the helm of this team. And we'd have to think that that would be a direct threat to Snow. So he's not the guy who is going to do that.

But either way, getting back to the 2018 draft thread, I am hoping the Isles can move up in the draft to get at least one premium talent, either by winning the lottery or trading up. It would be nice to add at least a cornerstone player regardless.

Winning the lottery would be great.

We can all root for that wholeheartedly. We have two horses in the running.

From what I've seen of this draft class, and knowing that it's not AS good as initially advertised, just as last year's class clearly wasn't AS bland as advertised, I think any team picking twice in the top 15 should be coming out with two NHLers.

With all the young guys in the line-up right now, our system could use some replenishing. We have nothing up the middle. As you mentioned, there's no top 3 Dman in the pipeline. The only properties I see outside of the NHL with an NHL likelihood are Bellows, Sorokin, Toews, and when he gets his act together, Ho-Sang. I think Soderstrom, Quenneville, and Salo have a good shot as well down the line. Aho will be useful if we can bare having a player his size in the line-up as more than a fill-in.

This summer is a prime opportunity to shore up and if we get one of those high picks, who knows, it could be a kid who is ready to go off the bat or in the 19-20 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jester9881

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Would anyone who has been following this draft class closely, like to attempt a ranking of the prospects in tiers?

Thanks.

My opinion at this moment...

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist

5. Hughes
6. Bouchard
7. Wahlstrom
8. Tkachuk
9. Ty Smith

10. Lunderstrom

I think Dobson is a mistake in the first half of the 1st round... potential steals in the second half and later:

Alexander Alexeyev
Jared McIsaac
Jet Woo
Jacob Olofsson
Edit: almost forgot David Gustafsson

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Very unpopular opinion coming here but I think we're drafting 15/20/46/51 and I trust our GM in taking players off the radar.
I'm scared of swedes and fins cause of Nokelainen and Bergenheim.

Well there is your problem. How does anyone trust Snow to do anything right? He's absolutely pathetic, and to think he could do anything right is extremely misguided.

ALEXIVICH CHULKATURI

Dec 5, 2010
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
Well there is your problem. How does anyone trust Snow to do anything right? He's absolutely pathetic, and to think he could do anything right is extremely misguided.
I personally think Christopher Gibson has star potential and could make that Grabner deal look one that wasn't the disaster we all thought it was. The man knows how to draft when outside the top ten and I believe he has a .500 record when it comes to trades. Plus all the UFAS he's allowed to leave have turned it to be the right move. This is why I trust him to do the right thing when it comes to the captain this off season.

Reactions: dood

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Very unpopular opinion coming here but I think we're drafting 15/20/46/51 and I trust our GM in taking players off the radar.

More or less any European player who isn’t a top of the line guy is a risk. They play a softer game. If you have a choice in the top 5 between a north American Dman and a European one you’re going to probably be correct 8 out of 10 times taking the North American guy

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
More or less any European player who isn’t a top of the line guy is a risk. They play a softer game. If you have a choice in the top 5 between a north American Dman and a European one you’re going to probably be correct 8 out of 10 times taking the North American guy

When was the last time a top 5 drafted European defenseman busted? I can tell you for a fact that Gudbrasson and Reinhart are 2 of the biggest busts in the top 5 in recent memory. Both of whom are North American.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I personally think Christopher Gibson has star potential and could make that Grabner deal look one that wasn't the disaster we all thought it was. The man knows how to draft when outside the top ten and I believe he has a .500 record when it comes to trades. Plus all the UFAS he's allowed to leave have turned it to be the right move. This is why I trust him to do the right thing when it comes to the captain this off season.

Gibson has played well, but it's been a few games. His ahl numbers aren't anything to write home about, and he's already 25. I don't think anyone was upset by the Grabner trade. Grabner was a decent player for us, but certainly not irreplaceable.

Snow also signed Ladd to a horrendous contract. Half of the bottom line guys on this team are signed long term and/or overpaid.

You have an AHL quality defense, horrendous penalty killing, and mediocre coaching.

Snow has steered this team to 1 playoff series victory in 10 years. How in the world can anyone sit here and say they have confidence in him?

This team has wasted 10, 10 f***ing years by having a backup goaltender calling the shots.

Reactions: islesfan66

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
If Snow continues as GM for this year's draft the Isles have bigger issues then who he selects or doesn't.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist

5. Hughes
6. Bouchard
7. Wahlstrom
8. Tkachuk
9. Ty Smith

10. Lunderstrom

I think Dobson is a mistake in the first half of the 1st round... potential steals in the second half and later:

Alexander Alexeyev
Jared McIsaac
Jet Woo
Jacob Olofsson

where would you put Bode Wilde? i also think dobson gets picks in the first half of the first round maybe top 10 just based on size and potential

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
My dream scenario, outside of winning a top 3 pick.
first pick- Bouchard, I'm really high on him think he can solidify our top 4 in a year and among the D prospects I think his Defense is actually better then most other D prospects this year
second pick- Isac Lundstrom, Seems close to NHL ready, assuming JT stays he could plug in sooner then later at 3C trade nelson for immediate D help and then plug lundstrom in hopefully soon and you'll have a responsible 2 way center
third pick- some people disagree with my thought process because This is a deep draft, but its deep with potential and IMO we have too many B level prospects and not enough high level gems id trade our 2 2's and maybe more later picks to get back into the first round- my targets here would be Serron Noel OR Mattias Samuelson, Noel i think can become a star in the league awesome combination of size and talent could fit nicely next to JT or Barzal one day
Samuelson I know some arent high on him but i love his size and defensive ability

SI

Feb 16, 2013
it is not unpopular - it is improbable.

The days of the Isles just missing the playoffs are gone and the days of Calgary winning the third are also slipping fast.

It is more likely the Isles are drafting 9-11 and 12-14.

Reactions: dood

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte

1. Dahlin

2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Boqvist

5. Hughes
6. Bouchard
7. Wahlstrom
8. Tkachuk
9. Ty Smith

10. Lunderstrom

Alexander Alexeyev
Jared McIsaac
Jet Woo
Jacob Olofsson

That looks like a good list. If I recall Pronman had 3 tiers like you and very much the same players. I would very much like a top 4 pick. I do think there is considerable drop off from the top 4.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
That looks like a good list. If I recall Pronman had 3 tiers like you and very much the same players. I would very much like a top 4 pick. I do think there is considerable drop off from the top 4.

Almost everyone is going to have Zadina, Svechnikov, Boqvist and Tkachuk after Dahlin making up the top 5. I'm not quite as high on Tkachuk.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Almost everyone is going to have Zadina, Svechnikov, Boqvist and Tkachuk after Dahlin making up the top 5. I'm not quite as high on Tkachuk.

I like Tkachuk but not in the top 4. I think he is the next tier down. I really hope Isles can get a top 4 pick as I think then they will get a high end talent who should be able to contribute almost immediately.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I like Tkachuk but not in the top 4. I think he is the next tier down. I really hope Isles can get a top 4 pick as I think then they will get a high end talent who should be able to contribute almost immediately.

I would be stoked if the isles could somehow grab one of the top 3 guys.

Hughes is another guy I'd love to get. If he was a bit bigger he would be in the running for top 2.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
it is not unpopular - it is improbable.

The days of the Isles just missing the playoffs are gone and the days of Calgary winning the third are also slipping fast.

It is more likely the Isles are drafting 8-11 and 12-14.

The second round selections most likely fall in the 38-42 and 43-45 range.

1st pick - could be one of the D men in the Dobson, Bouchard, Hughes, Smith range

2nd pick - could be one of the C - Veleno, Lundestrom, Kupari

2nd round picks -
K'Andre Miller, Matthau Samuelson and Alex Alexeyev could drop to the 39-42 range - if they go with D. They can also package this pick and another pick to get back into 1st to make sure they get one of these 3.

They could also go with Russian F - Khovanov.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If the Islanders get #1, Dahlin is a slam dunk.... if they get 2 or 3, I think I'd like to trade down or trade the pick entirely if the right defenseman is available. Svechnikov and Zadina would be #1 picks in most other drafts IMO, but what does this team do with more forwards? Which two of Bailey, Eberle, Ho-Sang do you move to accommodate another RW where there is already a log jam? Obviously it's a good problem to have and you make the pick if the right deal doesn't come along .... it's just preferable for this team to add defensemen (plural) over forwards.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If the Islanders get #1, Dahlin is a slam dunk.... if they get 2 or 3, I think I'd like to trade down or trade the pick entirely if the right defenseman is available. Svechnikov and Zadina would be #1 picks in most other drafts IMO, but what does this team do with more forwards? Which two of Bailey, Eberle, Ho-Sang do you move to accommodate another RW where there is already a log jam? Obviously it's a good problem to have and you make the pick if the right deal doesn't come along .... it's just preferable for this team to add defensemen (plural) over forwards.

So Dahlin at #1, who do we pick at #2? Svechnikov or trade down and grab one of the big time RD's? A Dahlin-Boqvist pairing would be pretty sick.

Ah, it's nice to dream.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
So Dahlin at #1, who do we pick at #2? Svechnikov or trade down and grab one of the big time RD's? A Dahlin-Boqvist pairing would be pretty sick.

Ah, it's nice to dream.

#1 option for me: If the Islanders could somehow trade the #2 for a legitimate top pairing D under 28 with term (2 years) I do it.
#2 option IMO: Barring that, if they could trade down to 4 or 5 from #2, plus add a later 1st rounder (giving them 3 picks in the 1st) and get Boqvist plus one of Bouchard/McIssac/Woo
#3 option would be to make the pick, either Svechnikov or Zadina
#4 option reach and take Boqvist and hope he leapfrogs the two wingers next season

I'd first try my best to pry that #1 from whoever wins it though.... Dahlin is the unquestionable #1.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Imagine Carolina wins the 1st overall and the Islanders win #2? You would have to think they probably either look to trade down to pick a forward, or pick Dahlin and swap a young D for the #2, or outright take one of the wingers 1st overall.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
This morning's Tankathon we are at #9 and #12

They have us with Dobson and Lundestrom . . . I can live with that

If we miraculously draft Dahlin I'd think Dobson would be the better fit with him if it came down to Boqvist or Bouchard but any of those with Dahlin would be finding the end of the rainbow.

2nd round of Dellendrea and Ylonen on top of that and I'll need a tranquilizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad