2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
11th is the spot to grab the best dropper out of the top 10. I think we should trade down a few spots 3-4 to get an additional draft pick with our 12th OA...then pick Foudy. This guys is one of the fastest risers in the draft and comes from an excellent pedigree....track star...his mother is an Olympian and Father is also an athlete. He could come out as one of the best sleepers in this draft.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
what about bouchard he might be close? id trade 11 41 and a later pick for him no problem and love it

I don't really know Bouchard, but it he really that much a guarantee and/or better than a ready defenseman we could get with those same picks? That's the question we have to ask because every top asset we give up for a future asset (prospect), means we won't be as good this year.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I don't really know Bouchard, but it he really that much a guarantee and/or better than a ready defenseman we could get with those same picks? That's the question we have to ask because every top asset we give up for a future asset (prospect), means we won't be as good this year.
I'm down to trade picks for ready player (hamilton hanifin would be my targets) but i don't wanna overpay for any and who knows who available

Reactions: periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

It bears repeating: After Dahlin and Svechnikov, no ONE consensus player in this year's top 15 is better or worth more than any TWO of them.

People just have there favorites and we're fans, so we let different private interests and likes play a role in making the statements we often make here.

Reactions: LaF16 and periferal

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
11th is the spot to grab the best dropper out of the top 10. I think we should trade down a few spots 3-4 to get an additional draft pick with our 12th OA...then pick Foudy. This guys is one of the fastest risers in the draft and comes from an excellent pedigree....track star...his mother is an Olympian and Father is also an athlete. He could come out as one of the best sleepers in this draft.

Which is why, even if Lou is dead set on moving that pick, he shouldn't do so until the pick is on deck.

Reactions: BTrotts19

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

That isn't necessarily true and could ultimately end up being shortsighted, if a deal is rushed for a quick gain. And mind you I am not against dealing picks - in the right deal.

If you want to play it safe, I think you have a bunch of discussions with teams so you know what is available (hopefully players of the caliber of Trouba, Hamilton, etc.), then weigh the value of the player you can receive against the player(s) available at #11 and/or #12.

There very well could be a player or two who drops and, all of a sudden, you have teams willing to offer up far more to get those players. They might be willing to offer up an established or ready player that can help or overpay in additional picks/prospects who can help or add a significant piece in trade. Or if you really like a player or two that drops, bite the bullet and hold true to your plan.

When Barzal dropped in his draft the Isles were (thankfully) astute enough to go get him. Yet more than a few people were willing to sacrifice Barzal and more for Duchene. And some even advocated trading Barzal before Beauvillier (or I believe even JHS), because Barzal hadn't made it to the NHL yet and looked bad in a couple NHL games, where he was essentially set up to fail by a bad management team. Could you imagine making that deal now or how this team would look without Barzal?

But in the end we will have to have faith in Lou, Trotz and co. and that is OK with me. If the right deal is there, great. If it isn't, then make the picks and look to do something down the line. If the right picks are made, those assets should increase in value and maybe a better trade can be struck.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
call me crazy, if boqvist is there at 11 I can see us landing karlsson. If we draft boqvist, I’ll also be really really happy

Reactions: TeamKidd

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm really nervous. I have NO clue what we'll do tonight.

Keep both picks? Flip 12 for 31 and Grubauer? Trade both for Karlsson? This draft can go literally a million ways.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
It seems like the most likely dropper is Boqvist, but as they say it only takes one for someone to drop (each team having one player higher of their list then the guy who drops). So who knows.

Anyway, if we keep both picks I'm hoping for Hayton/Boqvist. I like Ty Smith and Denisenko too. I hope our pick/picks are from those 4 guys (again, assuming no surprising dropper). I like what I see in Kupari's videos but see that there are questions about him that concern me some, but I guess if he passes the Lou test I'd be okay with him too.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I'm really nervous. I have NO clue what we'll do tonight.

Keep both picks? Flip 12 for 31 and Grubauer? Trade both for Karlsson? This draft can go literally a million ways.
even that feels like a lot for grubuer, id rather lehner who'll cost nothing and has been a starter. just needs a change of scenery and better goalie coach

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Even if Lou is interested in Grubauer, I don't think MacLellan entertains it. For a few obvious reasons.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I still think Grubauer is closer to Darling than he is to Schneider

I thought Lou was looking at trying to get Talbot, but I see no mention of it here.

Reactions: islesfan3991
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad