2018 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Imagine Carolina wins the 1st overall and the Islanders win #2? You would have to think they probably either look to trade down to pick a forward, or pick Dahlin and swap a young D for the #2, or outright take one of the wingers 1st overall.

Carolina wouldn’t trade Dahlin, they would move another D, so it would be the latter scenario.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
There’s a chance we are in position to draft Veleno. He’s high character, hard working, talented offensively, good defensively, and is a terrific skater.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
There’s a chance we are in position to draft Veleno. He’s high character, hard working, talented offensively, good defensively, and is a terrific skater.

The more I watch him, the more I feel like he’s going to be closer to Sean Couturier (before this year).

I would still be happy with him, but I’m not as high on him as I initially was.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The more I watch him, the more I feel like he’s going to be closer to Sean Couturier (before this year).

I would still be happy with him, but I’m not as high on him as I initially was.

That’s fair, you need those guys too though. I’m still hoping for 1 or 2 stud Defensman to be honest.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
If the Islanders get #1, Dahlin is a slam dunk.... if they get 2 or 3, I think I'd like to trade down or trade the pick entirely if the right defenseman is available. Svechnikov and Zadina would be #1 picks in most other drafts IMO, but what does this team do with more forwards? Which two of Bailey, Eberle, Ho-Sang do you move to accommodate another RW where there is already a log jam? Obviously it's a good problem to have and you make the pick if the right deal doesn't come along .... it's just preferable for this team to add defensemen (plural) over forwards.

I don't think you can pass at a talent like Svechnikov or Zadina. HoSang hasn't proved anything yet and Eberle has 1 year left on his contract. I think we should draft the BPA and that could mean a forward. This team needs more high end talent at any position. Please no trade downs.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I don't think you can pass at a talent like Svechnikov or Zadina. HoSang hasn't proved anything yet and Eberle has 1 year left on his contract. I think we should draft the BPA and that could mean a forward. This team needs more high end talent at any position. Please no trade downs.
I agree. BPA, get 4 quality guys with the most talent. they can always be parlayed into an area of need at a later date...or we can trade other guys to meet our needs...

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

Another high character guy..sounds great but I'm remember g all the other "high character" guys we've drafted high in past and kinda want a low character dirty SOB, who actually becomes a winner :sarcasm:

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
I wonder if the Isles overvalue character and hockey sense in drafting and trading. Taylor Hall is a guy who seems to be doing just fine with a low hockey IQ. I think play makers need high IQ but the Isles seem to have enough of those. Every line doesn't need 3 guys with high hockey IQ and great character. What we don't have enough of is high end physical talent. The Isles need to draft great skaters with great physical talent instead of drafting guys with great character who need to work on their skating. The game is changing and the Isles seem to be behind the times in their scouting.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Another high character guy..sounds great but I'm remember g all the other "high character" guys we've drafted high in past and kinda want a low character dirty SOB, who actually becomes a winner :sarcasm:

Can we find 4 guys that flat out hate to lose with a burning passion to win and will do whatever they have to do to win the game? Would be nice for a change

Reactions: BTrotts19

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Can we find 4 guys that flat out hate to lose with a burning passion to win and will do whatever they have to do to win the game? Would be nice for a change

Agree, our character guys are all boy scouts and their "it's just a gane" attitude. Admirable as a human being, lousy as professional athlete trait.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
I wonder if the Isles overvalue character and hockey sense in drafting and trading. Taylor Hall is a guy who seems to be doing just fine with a low hockey IQ. I think play makers need high IQ but the Isles seem to have enough of those. Every line doesn't need 3 guys with high hockey IQ and great character. What we don't have enough of is high end physical talent. The Isles need to draft great skaters with great physical talent instead of drafting guys with great character who need to work on their skating. The game is changing and the Isles seem to be behind the times in their scouting.

We've had some dumb guys recently:

-Okposo
-Comeau
-Jason Blake
-Scott Mayfield

But I agree, too much emphasis put on "Character"

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Make sure they not just looking at talents and character but also looking at strength and fitness. The Combine result needs to be considered. Avoid all poor skaters. Passing is a must skill because passing is the key to generate goals. Needs decent scoring skills as well - can't have stone hands unless it is s smooth skating D with size and plays extremely well in the shut down role. If player knows how to forecheck and steal pucks it is a big bonus. Always pick the BP available no matter what position.

Reactions: dood

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
We are all dime store scouts for the last 30 plus years for some of us. It would behoove the Isles to invest capital on scouting, scouting, scouting and oh yes, player development. If I had to guess those are major aspects the Isles lack among other things.....

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I won't ruin the GDT's, however, I'm openly rooting we lose every game from here out. I want the Rangers and Hurricanes to stay ahead of us and hopefully Chicago and Edmonton will pass us. Chicago is just 2 points behind us and Edmonton 5 with a game in hand.

TEAM123456789101112131415
Buffalo18.016.014.151.9
Arizona12.512.111.633.730.1
Vancouver10.510.410.312.239.117.6
Detroit9.59.59.62.323.835.59.9
Ottawa8.58.68.87.032.828.95.3
Montreal7.67.88.014.138.221.62.7
Edmonton6.77.07.223.139.715.01.3
Chicago5.86.16.433.338.19.70.6
NY Islanders5.45.76.044.133.05.50.2
NY Rangers4.54.85.155.926.82.80.1
Carolina3.33.63.867.120.81.30.0
Calgary2.72.93.276.214.50.50.0
St. Louis2.22.42.684.18.60.1
Florida1.82.02.290.93.2
Anaheim1.01.11.296.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Our remaining games...
Sun, Mar 18
5:00 PMMSG+
Tue, Mar 20
7:00 PMTSN
Thu, Mar 22
7:00 PMTSN
Sat, Mar 24
7:00 PMMSG+
Mon, Mar 26
Tue, Mar 27
7:30 PMMSG+
Fri, Mar 30
Sat, Mar 31
APRILOPPONENTTIME (ET)TV
Tue, Apr 3
Thu, Apr 5
Sat, Apr 7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I see 6 losses (Toronto, NJ, Philly, Florida, Tampa, and Pittsburgh).

The other 5 (Rangers, Ottawa, Detroit, Chicago, and Carolina) hopefully we lose to the Rangers, Chicago, and Carolina. 2-9 puts us in great shape at finishing 8th or possibly 7th.

Last edited:
Reactions: BTrotts19

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I’ll have to look into that, thanks.

I think I read it from mynhldraft - but someone on HF has seen him play quite a bit
Jesperi Kotkaniemi Profile

Jesperi%20Kotkaniemi.jpg

Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Ht/Wt: 6' 2"/190 lbs
Position: C
Team: Ässät (FIN)

Jesperi Kotkaniemi's Player Profile

Cam Robinson - Dobber Prospects - January 9th: "Great puck skills and finishing ability, but skating remains a concern. Offers an awkward stride that doesn’t generate a ton of top-end power."

Steve Kournianos - The Draft Analyst - October 12th: "Alert and versatile forward with good speed and a wide range of attributes who has performed well beyond expectations as a 17-year-old playing key minutes in Finland’s top league. Kotkaniemi comes across as a smart, clean player with or without the puck and can play either center or wing. He is used on the penalty kill and in late-game situations, showing defensive prowess regardless of the job he’s assigned."

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What's a bigger upset than UMBC over Virginia?

"The NY Islanders have been chosen to draft #1 and #2 in the NHL Draft . . . "

C'mon Commissioner. you can do it! A little extra weight in the NYI and Calgary ping pong balls!

Reactions: dood

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013

There has to be a middle ground, look at a guy like Kreider. Big, fast has talent. Dumb as a box of rocks and it shows. Okposko was another one, just not a smart player.
The skating part you are 100% spot on, very difficult to play today’s game as a below avg skater, no matter your hockey IQ.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
What's a bigger upset than UMBC over Virginia?

"The NY Islanders have been chosen to draft #1 and #2 in the NHL Draft . . . "

C'mon Commissioner. you can do it! A little extra weight in the NYI and Calgary ping pong balls!
your getting greedy!... id kill for either pick to even end up 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->