Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
After watching OSU for 2 years, please draft Farabee and have him on a line with Tkachuk on BU. My mom is even an alum, so I can be more invested. I need it so badly. So badly. Make watching college hockey fun again.

Penn State is an analytics dream with how much they outshoot their opponents throughout the season. They’ve started to get NHL draft pick talent but not really the 18 year old who would only be there a year or two tops type.

Wisconsin let Kalynuk & some other defensemen basically do what they want so that was fun to watch.

Reactions: Magua

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Arizona fan coming in peace here. Is Konecny at all available if the Flyers like a player like Wahlstrom's upside at RW better?

Something like Konecny and one of your 1st round picks this year to move up to #5 OA as a basis.

Doubt that is going to go over well, but just trying to think of ways to get AZ a RW (not named Simmons) while being able to give decent enough value in return.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Arizona fan coming in peace here. Is Konecny at all available if the Flyers like a player like Wahlstrom's upside at RW better?

Something like Konecny and one of your 1st round picks this year to move up to #5 OA as a basis.

Doubt that is going to go over well, but just trying to think of ways to get AZ a RW (not named Simmons) while being able to give decent enough value in return.

No offense, but Abso-f***ing-lutely not.

Konecny is already an awesome top 6 winger and was one of the top 10 scorers in the NHL the 2nd half of the season. They aren't trading Konecny PLUS a 1st to draft a kid that MIGHT be as good as him in a few years.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

nope.

Konecny was 9th in the league in ES scoring from X-Mas until the end of the year...a 45 game sample size. That's a 65 point pace as ES over 82 games!

He can be a 70 point guy if he was getting #1PP time which he won't for awhile. But in the meantime, can be a 50 point guy.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
No offense, but Abso-****ing-lutely not.

Konecny is already an awesome top 6 winger and was one of the top 20 scorers in the NHL the 2nd half of the season. They aren't trading Konecny PLUS a 1st to draft a kid that MIGHT be as good as him in a few years.

All I needed to hear. Again, I don't pretend to know what the draft board of the Flyers looks like, but if Wahlstrom were deemed to be far and away ahead of Konecny at that age and the upside is that high, it MIGHT be something to explore. But that is also why I stated that it probably wouldn't go over well and would probably have to be something more than just the #5 OA for Konecny and #19OA.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All I needed to hear. Again, I don't pretend to know what the draft board of the Flyers looks like, but if Wahlstrom were deemed to be far and away ahead of Konecny at that age and the upside is that high, it MIGHT be something to explore. But that is also why I stated that it probably wouldn't go over well and would probably have to be something more than just the #5 OA for Konecny and #19OA.

We definitely like Wahlstrom and Hextall has even said he wants to trade up if possible, but not at the expense of Konecny.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mock Draft by Andy Lehoux of NHL Draft Center

1 - Buffalo - Dahlin
2 - Carolina - Svechnikov
3 - Montreal - Zadina
4 - Ottawa - Tkachuk
5 - Arizona - Boqvist
6 - Detroit - Bouchard
7 - Vancouver - Dobson
8 - Chicago - Wahlstrom
9 - Rangers - Hughes
10 - Edmonton - T. Smith
11 - Islanders - Kotkaniemi
12 - Islanders - Veleno
13 - Dallas - Farabee
14 - Philadelphia - Hayton
15 - Florida - Kupari

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Mock Draft by Andy Lehoux of NHL Draft Center

1 - Buffalo - Dahlin
2 - Carolina - Svechnikov
3 - Montreal - Zadina
4 - Ottawa - Tkachuk
5 - Arizona - Boqvist
6 - Detroit - Bouchard
7 - Vancouver - Dobson
8 - Chicago - Wahlstrom
9 - Rangers - Hughes
10 - Edmonton - T. Smith
11 - Islanders - Kotkaniemi
12 - Islanders - Veleno
13 - Dallas - Farabee
14 - Philadelphia - Hayton
15 - Florida - Kupari
Farabee and Kotkaniemi going right ahead of us would suck. Hopefully the islanders reach for a dman.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Kotkaniemi isn't going 11th. If he does, I change what I said about trading up. I'd be less surprised to see him pull a Pierre-Luc Dubois.

Mocks are fun but complete speculation fun. Bob and Button's mocks are what I wait for because you know they have some (just some) info.

Reactions: Rebels57

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I legit don't want Hayton because it feels like all we have is another playmaking center, which have a f*** ton of. I'd rather have a goal scoring winger or maybe a high end D than another assist-mainly center. I dunno, I'm just weirdly not sold on Hayton.

If Kotka does does go up to 11, yeah, I agree with Magua, we should trade up.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I legit don't want Hayton because it feels like all we have is another playmaking center, which have a **** ton of. I'd rather have a goal scoring winger or maybe a high end D than another assist-mainly center. I dunno, I'm just weirdly not sold on Hayton.

I don't want him either, but I wouldn't remotely call Hayton a playmaker tbh. I find his playmaking and puck controlling abilities actually more on the weakness side. It's his shot and 1-on-1 dekes that are more his strength.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I don't want him either, but I wouldn't remotely call Hayton a playmaker tbh. I find his playmaking and puck controlling abilities actually more on the weakness side. It's his shot and occasional dangles that are his strength.

I think, if he hits his stride, I think Kotkaniemi could project as a Kopitar, and that would be unreal.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think, if he hits his stride, I think Kotkaniemi could project as a Kopitar, and that would be unreal.

I've been on the Kotkaniemi hype train all season. I feel you. Button said that Kopitar comparison at the u18s. I generally err conservative with projections (Kopi is a HoF type), but certainly he has at least Kopitar-lite potential. He has elite hockey IQ on/off puck, a great shot, a ton of poise and calm, and is a really good below the dots player in the making too. He's pretty thin compared to Kopitar though, and his skating is a little wonky and needs some cleaning up.

Actually, he reminds me most in style/body/tools of Rantanen -- if he was a center (I think Kotkaniemi could be a great wing too, if we were worried about fit). But Jesperi is the best natural center in the draft and even conservatively has 30 goal/65-70 point 2-way center potential. It's why I think he'll go closer to top 5 than 11th. He SHOULD go top 5, I believe. I'm not worried about a situation to go grab him.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I don't want him either, but I wouldn't remotely call Hayton a playmaker tbh. I find his playmaking and puck controlling abilities actually more on the weakness side. It's his shot and 1-on-1 dekes that are more his strength.
We will continue to agree to disagree on statements like this one. He is an awesome playmaker imo.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware

Well we do have another rw named simmonDs i can interest you in

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Heres the link to the mock I posted. They have some pretty good videos up on Youtube with Player comparisons. He gives what he thinks are strengths and weaknesses for each player. Its a nice way to get some surface level familiarization for those of us thats dont get to watch much Juniors.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Reminder that while we may consider Konecny to be untouchable, Dave's still not sure whether or not he's better than a third-line winger.

I fully expect the Flyers to trade Konecny within the next two years.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Those rankings for pick 19....
c1cb4076-3eb0-43c7-a702-936a9ebbd72c.gif

Dooblus Dooizfour

Nov 5, 2016
Reminder that while we may consider Konecny to be untouchable, Dave's still not sure whether or not he's better than a third-line winger.

I fully expect the Flyers to trade Konecny within the next two years.
I f**king hate you for saying that but it’s my fear too my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad