Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Caps also have elite offensive talents like Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Carlson. Those guys are hard to find, and in a draft like the one coming up, I think you have to take advantage of your first round picks to try to add some star power in the system. If the Flyers continue to get better, they won't be picking 14 and 19 again for a while, and certainly few drafts are going to be as absolutely stacked as this one.
Agreed.

There is always the possibility that in 4 years, we lose Giroux and Couts. Drafting 2 high end guys now gives ample time for development to have them ready just in case.

The Kane deal really shows what UFA's may be getting into the future. So having as little of them as possible and replacing them from within, will be very important.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looking at Hextall's drafts, he'll probably go for the "safe" pick at 14, but he went for TK #24, Frost #27, Ratcliffe #35 - upside picks.
So I can see him targeting a "gamble" with #19 and even trading back if he thinks he can get that player in the mid-20s.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Most of us agree that our prospects pool lacks high end skilled forwards and the players most of us like at 14 and 19 are exactly that.the chance of picking up a dman that could be a top 4 guy is better in the later rounds But as mentioned in the end we trust our scouts to get us the bpa.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
He’s really the only CHL guy that would make sense in their range. Do they really take two guys away from the CHL in the first round?

I feel like Hayton would be up Hexy's alley, too.

Why, because he's big? I'm not a huge fan either but everything I have read says he is a pretty good skater and has good skill for a big guy.

No, because hes a huge project when there are more refined prospects from which to choose.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Why, because he's big? I'm not a huge fan either but everything I have read says he is a pretty good skater and has good skill for a big guy.
Exactly. He has huge size, and is pretty fast and has decent skill for his size.
But he doesn't exactly ooze hockey sense, and his production hasn't been great, especially compared to some other guys who will be available in the mid first round.
You could say the same things about Morin when the Flyers drafted him.
It's another case of getting enamored by physical tools and what the "whole package could be IF he puts it together." I hate picks like that in the first round, particularly in a draft as deep and talented as this one.
It's like that Family Guy mystery box meme that gets posted frequently here.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
What do you guys think of Hayton at 14 and Groulx at 19?
There are multiple players I'd be content with at 19, but Groulx is one of the players I'd be pissed about taking there. I just don't see the upside with him to make him worthy of 19 in this particular draft.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've gone back and forth bumping Noel up and down. At first I was cool entering the season, then went through a phase and was enthused, then I watched more and the lack of urgency/purpose out there bugged me a lot, then I liked him at the u18s even though the big ice helped him, then I watched another couple Oshawa games, now I'm back to the urgency/purpose thing and wondering again. I kind of am trending back to the stage where I'd just rather let another team take that risk, even though he's a curious player. At 25, it becomes more interesting. At 19......?

There really aren't many CHL players though in our range. It's an excellent year to branch out and give some other leagues a go.

What do you guys think of Hayton at 14 and Groulx at 19?

Hayton is realistic at 14; I have my issues with him where I wouldn't prefer it, but just in terms of realistic mocks, it's possible. And as was mentioned above, his reputation at least says, "Flyers." What they actually see.....who knows? Groulx might not even go until the mid-late 2nd though. He's not a bad player but the upside question mark is a thing. At the least, I'd be surprised to see him be a 1st rounder.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
I don’t like that Hayton doesn’t have a high offensive ceiling at 14, but I do like his potential as a all around player. I took him in my mock draft, but I perfer the other 13 guys taken ahead of him a lot more.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hayton or Veleno?
I'd take Hayton over Veleno. There's something about Veleno that I just do not like. I can't even completely put my finger on it. His junior numbers aren't bad, but he doesn't stand out to me like I want. Might be one of those early peaking players who does well in junior but doesn't end up improving a heck of a lot.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

He’s AHL eligible & London owns his CHL rights.

Wahlstrom is going to BC next year (I’d imagine he could be a threat to leave & turn pro at any time still though). Hughes could possibly go to Michigan.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'd take Hayton over Veleno. There's something about Veleno that I just do not like. I can't even completely put my finger on it. His junior numbers aren't bad, but he doesn't stand out to me like I want. Might be one of those early peaking players who does well in junior but doesn't end up improving a heck of a lot.

Madrigal, I'm going to have to recant on this after finding some more video of Veleno. I think I was swayed too much by his lackluster early season efforts.

Veleno has a lot more high-end ability than I realized when he turns it on. Not sure what was wrong with him at times, and I'm not sure if it could be a problem in the future, but he is a better skater than I realized and has a lot of passing and puck control talent. I must have watched him at the wrong times. Anyway, I'm pretty surprised by how much my opinion has changed on him.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Agreed.

There is always the possibility that in 4 years, we lose Giroux and Couts. Drafting 2 high end guys now gives ample time for development to have them ready just in case.

The Kane deal really shows what UFA's may be getting into the future. So having as little of them as possible and replacing them from within, will be very important.

I know you only said it’s a possibility, but barring something unforeseen happening over the next 4 years, I’d be shocked if Giroux and Couturier aren’t extended. So much so that it’s meaningless to worry about it happening.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
An interesting thought in the 2017 hf boards team mock draft 81% of devils posters wanted Nolan Patrick last year :naughty:

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I know you only said it’s a possibility, but barring something unforeseen happening over the next 4 years, I’d be shocked if Giroux and Couturier aren’t extended. So much so that it’s meaningless to worry about it happening.
I know it's slim. But it also could due to economics. Like Couts could be looking at a 8-9 million dollar deal based on what we just saw from Kane.

And if Patrick and Frost develop as we hope, we could be in a position to let Couts go(as much as I hate that thought) and then have a kid who could be 22 at that time, take over the #3 C spot as a much cheaper option.

All I am saying, is losing 1 is a possibility. And drafting someone now with high upside could make losing them less of an blow if it came to that.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

After watching OSU for 2 years, please draft Farabee and have him on a line with Tkachuk on BU. My mom is even an alum, so I can be more invested. I need it so badly. So badly. Make watching college hockey fun again.

Veleno has a lot more high-end ability than I realized when he turns it on. Not sure what was wrong with him at times, and I'm not sure if it could be a problem in the future, but he is a better skater than I realized and has a lot of passing and puck control talent. I must have watched him at the wrong times. Anyway, I'm pretty surprised by how much my opinion has changed on him.

100% top 10 skills. Top 5-7 even. I'm not sure you can name many other forwards with his combo of skating, hands, and size (Svech.......and?). I've said that before. He's even pretty physical and competes his ass off. Him scoring well on Drummondville the 2nd half bounced him back up the rankings, and I guess set people's minds at ease.

My guess is you watched him at the right time both times. Or at least I've found that watching him has always been a case of being impressed one moment and then remembering why he bugs me in projecting at the next level the next. My feeling is he's kind of low IQ on the ice and plays a very juniors game relying on said talent. At his worst, I think he too often repeats mistakes, can have tunnel vision despite the passing ability, plays in straight lines, and thinks slow and reactionary with the puck. I've seldom thought he beats people with his mind, not his skill.

I see enough where I don't have him ridiculously low (well, maybe to some) or off the board. He's just not someone I'm confident on what he'll look like in the structured fast pace NHL, and I know he'll be going closer to 14, if he's even there. I feel like I have good reads on players the Flyers might like, and our thoughts match up frequently, but guys like Veleno or Hayton have attributes I think they would like given past history, yet I'm not sure how they feel about the overall player because there are things they wouldn't like, if our thoughts matched up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad