Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Depending on who we take at 14 and what we pick up trading down, I'd be less pissed about trading back for Samuelsson/Miller if Kaut was just on the board, especially if we take someone like Kravtsov, with a not dissimilar game. Berggren I've been upfront as saying I think has legit star potential, without the trappings other high skill junior players have (skating issues, poor hockey sense, low motor/soft, inconsistency). All those highlight reel stuff you see above is shift in and shift out; it's not cherry picking plays, trust me, and it usually is.

I don't think Kaut has that, much as I like him. I think he'll be a valuable 2nd line, 25-30 goal, 50-55 point 2-way player at his ceiling; middle 6 floor. I don't want to pass Berggren up whatever the cost. He's exactly what we need in the prospect pool too long-term, although I'm not sure who couldn't use a player with high end skills.

I just don't see anyone out there to justify it to me. Guys like Veleno (who probably is more <14) or Kupari or Wilde have really questionable hockey sense; I don't think Miller or Samuelsson have enough upside, though they're fine; Hayton too, and I'm not in love with his play with the puck; Denisenko seems less a Flyers pick than Berggren anyway and with no higher upside and a lower floor; guys like Lundestrom are too safe and low ceiling to me; I do like Akil Thomas, who was mentioned, but I think he's a little low ceiling too, as he's not a real dynamic skater or player overall who lacks that top gear, and I'm not sold he's a 1st rounder even. I for sure have 7 players ranked above Berggren: Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Hughes, Tkachuk. I'll let that stand. Every draft I get obsessed with a certain player or two: like Keller 2 years ago, Thomas last year, Berggren this year.

Thanks for the write up...I see u dont have farabee in ur list of 7...i doubt he will still be there at 14 but u never know. Based on my thoughts I would take farabee ,kravtsov,Berggren, kaut in that order but I haven't seen alot of Berggren video....the fact that bill Meltzer mentioned Berggren a few weeks ago gives me hope he is on the flyers radar.

Reactions: Insurrection

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Depending on who we take at 14 and what we pick up trading down, I'd be less pissed about trading back for Samuelsson/Miller if Kaut was just on the board, especially if we take someone like Kravtsov, with a not dissimilar game. Berggren I've been upfront as saying I think has legit star potential, without the trappings other high skill junior players have (skating issues, poor hockey sense, low motor/soft, inconsistency). All those highlight reel stuff you see above is shift in and shift out; it's not cherry picking plays, trust me, and it usually is.

I don't think Kaut has that, much as I like him. I think he'll be a valuable 2nd line, 25-30 goal, 50-55 point 2-way player at his ceiling; middle 6 floor. I don't want to pass Berggren up whatever the cost. He's exactly what we need in the prospect pool too long-term, although I'm not sure who couldn't use a player with high end skills.

I just don't see anyone out there to justify it to me. Guys like Veleno (who probably is more <14) or Kupari or Wilde have really questionable hockey sense; I don't think Miller or Samuelsson have enough upside, though they're fine; Hayton too, and I'm not in love with his play with the puck; Denisenko seems less a Flyers pick than Berggren anyway and with no higher upside and a lower floor; guys like Lundestrom are too safe and low ceiling to me; I do like Akil Thomas, who was mentioned, but I think he's a little low ceiling too, as he's not a real dynamic skater or player overall who lacks that top gear, and I'm not sold he's a 1st rounder even. I for sure have 7 players ranked above Berggren: Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Hughes, Tkachuk. I'll let that stand. Every draft I get obsessed with a certain player or two: like Keller 2 years ago, Thomas last year, Berggren this year.

Your comments about Akil Thomas’ skating are interesting. From what I saw, I thought his skating was a lot more explosive than you indicate. In fact, his skating is one of the reasons I have Thomas on my shortlist for 19. He’s not my first choice there—Berggren would be (assuming Farabee & Kravtsov are gone)—but he’s way up there.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Here we go again with the rude critiques/comments about others and their rankings. It's like high school or something right down to the teasing. Some serious insecurity issues going on.

What are you even going on about? What in that post could possibly be interpreted as anything other than civilly — and a little slobberingly — giving my opinion? Can I not give my opinion in the thread I started? What makes you think that post was even to you? It wasn’t directed to you and was pretty general. You’re welcome to disagree with or rebut anything I say regardless. But you don’t. You offer nothing in return but this act of feigned offense.

Whether you’re trolling (the heavy favorite!), the least self-aware person on planet Earth, or simply delusional, I can’t say. But not a single person is buying the bull shit and innocent babe act.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Thanks for the write up...I see u dont have farabee in ur list of 7...i doubt he will still be there at 14 but u never know. Based on my thoughts I would take farabee ,kravtsov,Berggren, kaut in that order but I haven't seen alot of Berggren video....the fact that bill Meltzer mentioned Berggren a few weeks ago gives me hope he is on the flyers radar.

The mention caught me by surprise too. One can hope.

I have Farabee and him ranked right next to each other. Realistically, Farabee at 14 and Berggren at 19 is my hope. I think they’d have to go in that order to get both. Not really revelatory lol. I just think Farabee has a higher ceiling. Like it was said last page, I’m not sure Farabee has the dynamic skill to be that 70-80 point star, even if he will be damn valuable. I guess that’s how I split hairs in my ranking. Berggren has a higher ceiling and more raw skill. Farabee is obviously a touch safer.

Your comments about Akil Thomas’ skating are interesting. From what I saw, I thought his skating was a lot more explosive than you indicate. In fact, his skating is one of the reasons I have Thomas on my shortlist for 19. He’s not my first choice there—Berggren would be (assuming Farabee & Kravtsov are gone)—but he’s way up there.

I’d compare his feet to someone like Suzuki (albeit less skilled offensively but maybe a little more physical). Not slow. Just rather flat all around: edges, burst, top end speed. Personally, it’s one of the main things I’d actually point out as not a positive for Akil and a reason I rank him more low 30s. I don’t always agree with Pronman, but his Thomas write up could’ve been plucked from my brain. And he’s not the only one to rank him around there.

He’s smart, seems pretty safe as an NHLer (center or wing — and he’s been a good center for the Dogs), seems to have a little more skill than he always shows (shoot more!), but he just doesn’t have much of a dynamic quality to him. Besides the feet, he doesn’t play dynamic to me either. His scoring surprises me watching him. He’s very calm and methodical with the puck, makes smart decisions, slows the game down — but he doesn’t really ratchet it up either. Could that be a result of center versus wing? Maybe. I want to emphasize he’s not on my shit list; I like him. Maybe later in the 1st you could make a case, but for me, 19 seems reach-y. I view him more in the Dellandrea tier as a future middle 6/3rd liner. It’s just my (perhaps wrong) opinion though and you don’t have to agree.......which apparently needs to be stressed now.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m on board for Berggren. Late(so to say) riser by some accounts and have the skill we could really utilize in our top nine. Speed and skill.

With Farabee, could he be a mike Richards like player? I feel like Richards was never supposed to be a top line center(player) until he actually became one. I know y’all bitches love mike Richards comparisons.

Reactions: Flyerfan13

FlyRoutine

Aug 4, 2012
Here we go again with the rude critiques/comments about others and their rankings. It's like high school or something right down to the teasing. Some serious insecurity issues going on.

This post is a perfect example for projection in psychology.

You can still argue to back up your opinion on certain players you like, just like Magua. Instead of that you become defensive and insult guys who dont share your opinion.
How about staying objective?

PS: I am still waiting on a response in the miscellaneous topic :thumbu:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This post is a perfect example for projection in psychology.

You can still argue to back up your opinion on certain players you like, just like Magua. Instead of that you become defensive and insult guys who dont share your opinion.
How about staying objective?

PS: I am still waiting on a response in the miscellaneous topic :thumbu:
Im done. I think taking this any further will only continue to damage the integrity of the thread. Its just a shame that people cant discuss prospects without trashing others (Pronman) who arent even around to defend their views.

As for your last comment, I dont bother with people who troll me and do it in such a poor way by saying things like "you gotta have to love."

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Well, back to something worth giving a **** about.

Farabee or Lieutenant Kravtsov at 14 and Berggren at 19; and the best part is that it’s not completely unlikely to happen like most of our draft dreams.
It’s interesting how many of us have those 3 names at the very top of our lists.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Well, back to something worth giving a **** about.

Farabee or Lieutenant Kravtsov at 14 and Berggren at 19; and the best part is that it’s not completely unlikely to happen like most of our draft dreams.
Might’ve liked Bokk at 19 along with Berggren if I was able to watch him.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yes but do the Flyers. I worry they will go for the safer two way guys like Hayton and Lundertrom if they are available instead of the home run offensive talents.
Who knows? I've said before I worry they take Hayton at 14 because he's A) the type of player Hextall seems to like and B) scouts will have seen him a lot due to his playing on Frost's team. I wouldn't be irate with Hayton at 19, if he dropped that far, but there are players I like better. I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Flyers end up with Sandin for similar reasons. I actually like Sandin, but, again, there are players who should be available when the Flyers pick whom I prefer.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Who knows? I've said before I worry they take Hayton at 14 because he's A) the type of player Hextall seems to like and B) scouts will have seen him a lot due to his playing on Frost's team. I wouldn't be irate with Hayton at 19, if he dropped that far, but there are players I like better. I still wouldn't be shocked to see the Flyers end up with Sandin for similar reasons. I actually like Sandin, but, again, there are players who should be available when the Flyers pick whom I prefer.
At this point, the Flyers should be swinging for the fences on every pick. They have enough depth in the system to fill the middle and bottom of the roster but could use some high end guys. Outside of Frost, I don’t see the offensive difference makers; not that a couple of guys couldn’t develop that way though.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It's probably the flyers scouts have seen these guys several times live and have a lot better grasp than we do . We can sit here and say we see this we want that etc... we have no clue . They have done a bang up job lately and i'm fine with who ever we get .

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I would go "safe" at 14 and go for big time upside at 19. As much as everybody seems to want to go for the dynamic pick everybody also likes Farabee who is considered a very safe pick.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hayton is the type of player that would play for Vegas and the Caps. Teams that play two way hockey at us finest. He wouldn't fit us lol.

Reactions: The Madrigal

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
At this point, the Flyers should be swinging for the fences on every pick. They have enough depth in the system to fill the middle and bottom of the roster but could use some high end guys. Outside of Frost, I don’t see the offensive difference makers; not that a couple of guys couldn’t develop that way though.

The problem with framing the discussion that way is exactly your last line— they may see more upside than you or I do. Frost is a perfect example of this. That pick was gutted by many as being too early, largely by those who had seen a game or two at most.

The flip side is the Trent Frederic situation, which was rare and completely egregious, no argument at all there. I don’t know who else who could be dumb enough to come out and say that. Sadly I do know who would say that about a 4th rounder.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

Depending on who is at 19, I would, and seriously consider Lundestrom at 19. However, I will admit, I have more viewings on Lundestrom than Breggen, so this really isn't a disagreement on who to pick, but more of a comment on how much I like Lundestrom.

I do understand you're point about Lundestrom, but I am sure he will be in the NHL at some point. I've said this before, I think his ceiling is a competent 2C, or very good 3C (however you want to define that). I think he could have Mikael Backlund type impact if he is with the right linemates.

Reactions: Magua

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hayton is the type of player that would play for Vegas and the Caps. Teams that play two way hockey at us finest. He wouldn't fit us lol.
The Caps also have elite offensive talents like Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and Carlson. Those guys are hard to find, and in a draft like the one coming up, I think you have to take advantage of your first round picks to try to add some star power in the system. If the Flyers continue to get better, they won't be picking 14 and 19 again for a while, and certainly few drafts are going to be as absolutely stacked as this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad