Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Those rankings for pick 19....
c1cb4076-3eb0-43c7-a702-936a9ebbd72c.gif
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Why is Sbisa even on the list? Is #19 that weak? And even if he is...how the hell is he above Getzlaf and Vasilievsky???

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Interesting article on The Athletic about 5 sleepers that will be available after the first round with high ceilings. Can't post the article due to the paywall but can at least list the names if anybody has any thoughts:

Nicolas Beaudin - D, Drummondville (QMJHL)
Brendan Budy - C/LW, Langley (BCHL)
Linus Nyman - F, Kingston (OHL)
Nathan Dunkley - C, London (OHL)
Marcus Karlberg - LW/RW, Leksands (U18 Superelit)

Wheeler: Five 2018 NHL draft sleepers teams without first...
Side note, somebody on the draft board convinced me to finally pay up for The Athletic and I love it, if anybody is considering. Much higher quality and well constructed articles. Don't love Pronman necessarily but he even still puts out some solid content, and there's other guys putting out some nice articles, including our own Appleyard.
EDIT: And if you are, let me know. Apparently there's a referral program that gives us both a discount

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reminder that while we may consider Konecny to be untouchable, Dave's still not sure whether or not he's better than a third-line winger.

I fully expect the Flyers to trade Konecny within the next two years.

Yawn. That's what people said about Ghost last year.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Only 27 more days until the draft anyone else counting down? :welcome:

I used to be excited about the draft, but this organization has killed that too. Whoever we draft might not even make the team until Girouxs contract expires.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I used to be excited about the draft, but this organization has killed that too. Whoever we draft might not even make the team until Girouxs contract expires.

Sanheim and Lindblom (a 5th rounder) made it after three years. Provorov and Konecny made the team after one year. Patrick made it after zero years.

Giroux's deal has four years left.

Reactions: duffy9748

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sanheim and Lindblom (a 5th rounder) made it after three years. Provorov and Konecny made the team after one year. Patrick made it after zero years.

Giroux's deal has four years left.

I knew that you specifically would reply to that with this exact reply. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruck Over

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Curious, for those in the top 10, who do you think is going to start in the NHL next season? Do you think Quinn Hughes will? Just curious since I'm making myself a list for something.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I knew that you specifically would reply to that with this exact reply. :laugh:

Do you know why you would bother to claim the 14th and 19th picks in this year's draft are at least four years away when Konecny made the Flyers as a 19 year old after being taken 24th overall in 2015?

It's like when deadhead claims Hak had no other options than to overplay Lehtera. Demonstrably false and a waste of everyone's time.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Do you know why you would bother to claim the 14th and 19th picks in this year's draft are at least four years away when Konecny made the Flyers as a 19 year old after being taken 24th overall in 2015?

It's like when deadhead claims Hak had no other options than to overplay Lehtera. Demonstrably false and a waste of everyone's time.

A - I was exaggerating out of frustration. It's not that serious.

B - I said "might not even make." With might being the operative word.

C - Let's not act like every prospect has made it in their Draft +2 like Konecny. Lindblom has 23 games under his belt heading into his Draft +5. Sanheim has 49 games heading into his Draft +5. NAK hasnt played an NHL game yet heading into his Draft +5. Players being 3-5 years out is more the norm for the Flyers than Patrick, Provorov, and Konecny (2 of whom were top 10 picks and 1 of which was arguably a top 10 talent in that draft).

D - Isn't all of this a waste of our time at the end of the day? :laugh:

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Why is Sbisa even on the list? Is #19 that weak? And even if he is...how the hell is he above Getzlaf and Vasilievsky???
19 is kinda weak. Maybe he’ll go farther down if some of the recent guys develop, but right now I’d put him at 6 and move Bjugstad in the top 5.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Curious, for those in the top 10, who do you think is going to start in the NHL next season? Do you think Quinn Hughes will? Just curious since I'm making myself a list for something.
I think Dahlin and Svechnikov are the locks. Tkachuk might make it depending on who drafts him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A - I was exaggerating out of frustration. It's not that serious.

B - I said "might not even make." With might being the operative word.

C - Let's not act like every prospect has made it in their Draft +2 like Konecny. Lindblom has 23 games under his belt heading into his Draft +5. Sanheim has 49 games heading into his Draft +5. NAK hasnt played an NHL game yet heading into his Draft +5. Players being 3-5 years out is more the norm for the Flyers/NHL than Patrick, Provorov, and Konecny (2 of whom were top 10 picks and 1 of which was arguably a top 10 talent in that draft).

D - Isn't all of this a waste of our time at the end of the day? :laugh:

NAK #48, Lindblom 5th rd, it's rare for these guys to make it before their Draft +5 season.
Konecny #24, unusual for him to make it in his Draft +2.
Frost #27 could make it in his Draft +2, almost certain in his Draft +3
Works both ways.

So what if these two picks don't make it until 2021, they'd be well marinated (2 PD JR, 1 AHL) and ready to step into the bottom six.
Which means if we sign someone to a 3 year deal, someone in the bottom six (Frost, Ratcliffe, Allison, etc.) can move up when that FA leaves.

And that is how you sustain excellence throughout the entire decade of the 2020s.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Had a dream we walked away with Wahlstrom AND Bouchard...at the expense of both firsts, Simmer, Hagg and taking on Bobby Ryan’s contract.

MarAlain MongYeo

GostisBeHere Now
Oct 22, 2016
The more I think about it, the more I think Farabee drops to us at #14.

With Kotkaniemi seemingly jumping into the top 10 from where he was rnked mid year that probably means Farabee as a likely candidate to fall.

Plus, I know that teams usually dont usually go for needs in the first round, but from an outside perspective it seems like the last thing Dallas and the Islanders need is a complimentary winger. New York definitely needs at least one D man and most likely a Center (Veleno or Hayton). Dallas has gone mostly wingers in the first round recently and seem to be rather week down the middle, so I could easily see them taking which ever one of Veleno or Hayton, possibly even maybe Kupari or Lundstrom.

Still, something in my gut tells me even if Farabee drops to #14, Hexy will pass.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
I havent done nearly as much research as some of yall, but based on what i have read and watched so far (mostly scouting evaluations from various sites and highlight packages so nothing too in depth) this is my current top 15. This is BPA with the Flyers in mind as the team drafting.

1. Dahlin
2. Svechnikov
3. Hughes
4. Zadina
5. Boqvist
6. Wahlstrom
7. Tkachuk
8. Kotkaniemi
9. Dobson
10. Farabee
11. Bokk
12. Kravtsov
13. Berggren
14. Bouchard
15. Hayton

Im probably way off on a few guys, but i really like skill and skating ability. Scoring is what i want to add to this team and i also value someone who's more dynamic than reserved. This gives higher risk of busting but id rather swing for the fences than go for a single to left.

Bokk, Kravtsov, and Berggren are all very intriguing players, high boom/bust potential in my eyes. But if they hit, theyre very dynamic scorers which would be awesome.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
My current list, and it is subject to change considering I have limited viewings of a handful of these guys. There is a decent chance I am missing a someone in the later picks.

RankingPlayerPosition
1Rasmus DahlinLD
2Andrei SvechnikovRW
3Filip ZadinaLW
4Brady TkachukC/LW
5Quinn HughesLD
6Adam BoqvistRD
7Jesperi Kotkaniemi C/LW
8Noah DobsonRD
9Evan BouchardRD
10Oliver WahlstromRW
11Joel FarabeeLW