Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If I had a legit list it would probably have about 9-10ish guys. It’s so hard for me to really focus on more than one or two players in a game lol.

You can only pay attention to so much at a time. It's hard for me to pay attention to more than a few -- especially when players are on separate teams. Unless I'm watching the US NTDP or international games, I'm typically just skimming through a certain player's shifts, zeroing in on that player like an iso-cam. I don't want to miss a detail, and I think that's the best way to understand a player. Maybe 1 player in a game or 1 on each team or a 2-3 on a specific team. I also try to tune out the noise: non-eligibles. Speeds up the process too. It gets easier focusing on more guys at once the more you watch.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
My current list, and it is subject to change considering I have limited viewings of a handful of these guys. There is a decent chance I am missing a someone in the later picks.

RankingPlayerPosition
1Rasmus DahlinLD
2Andrei SvechnikovRW
3Filip ZadinaLW
4Brady TkachukC/LW
5Quinn HughesLD
6Adam BoqvistRD
7Jesperi Kotkaniemi C/LW
8Noah DobsonRD
9Evan BouchardRD
10Oliver WahlstromRW
11Joel FarabeeLW
12Martin KautRW
13Jonatan BerggrenRW/C
14Vitali Kravtsov RW
15Ty SmithRD
16Isac LundestromC
17Grigori Denisenko LW
18Joe VelenoC
19Dominik BokkRW
20Barrett HaytonC
21K'Andre MillerLD
22Rasmus KupariLW
23Bode WildeRD
24Jonathan TychonickLD
25Mattias SamuelssonLD
26Rasmus SandinD
27Nils LundkvistRD
28Serron NoelRW
29Jared McIsaacLD
30Ryan McLeodC
31Akil ThomasC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

In my opinion there are solid dropoffs in talent after picks: 1, 11, 21

Interesting list first time I have seen kaut above kravtsov...a few of the comparisons I have read say kravtsov is a physically larger version of kaut with a higher ceiling.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Interesting list first time I have seen kaut above kravtsov...a few of the comparisons I have read say kravtsov is a physically larger version of kaut with a higher ceiling.

I've never watched either Kravtsov outside of a few highlights and Kaut I watched several times so, I am just more comfortable putting him ahead for now. That list isn't final of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyerfan13

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
a few of the comparisons I have read say kravtsov is a physically larger version of kaut with a higher ceiling.

Kravtsov is tall but real lean. Feisty but his below the dots and puck protection game aren't a strength and might not be better than average even when he's developed. We'll see. Kaut is a similar height but a lot thicker bodied. Both play against men; Kaut looks physically dominant already. Men can't get pucks off him, and he'll throw his weight around too. Will 100% be a power forward type. Their weights are listed close right now, but I don't buy it -- not in game or build. Kaut has a clear physical advantage.

They do play similarly in that they play fast/smart with and without the puck, have motors at both ends, and are primarily shooter/support players. Go about it differently though. Kravtsov has better 1 on 1 ability, especially off the rush, and is a better skater which factors in -- though Kaut isn't deficient at any of those, and I'd call his shooting/passing ability equal. I don't think Kravtsov, despite having a touch more dynamic qualities, is any better as a puck controller though; neither plays with the puck on their stick for too long. So, perhaps Kravtsov does have a slightly higher ceiling. But in the smaller space of the NHL, Kaut's below the dots game plays in his favor with a floor. I could easily see Kaut in the AHL next year and NHL the year after or thereabouts. I wouldn't be blown away if both ended up near each other long-term.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I've never watched either Kravtsov outside of a few highlights and Kaut I watched several times so, I am just more comfortable putting him ahead for now. That list isn't final of course.

Just hoping we get at least 1 of farabee, kravtsov,Berggren, kaut at either 14 or 19...

Reactions: Cyborg LeClair

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I've never watched either Kravtsov outside of a few highlights

If you were curious and had some time........

KHL shift by shift from November:

MHL playoff games from end of season:

I think the MHL games are the better sample and more indicative of his game, even if the level is lower. Kravtsov really broke out in the KHL playoffs later on, and the Nov. KHL game was a little uneventful. You'd have to manually scroll through the MHL games though.

Kaut I watched several times so, I am just more comfortable putting him ahead for now.

After the u18s I finally caught some players I'd been unsure of how to rank, so everyone I have ranked I've pretty much seen multiple times, some a lot more than that. But there are some thorns in my side. I've never seen Bokk. How do I rank him? He's a bit of a controversial player who could go in the 1st. I don't know -- probably erring conservatively. Maybe I don't know how much I like him, or maybe something bugs me about him (typically hockey sense). Or Ylonen; same thing, maybe a round later. Jay O'Brien is a low-key potential early 2nd or something. I did get to see ~15 minutes of shifts on YouTube though. It’s hard to figure out where to rank them as I'm just not comfortable with them. There are a few more others I’ve seen but wish I’d seen more, wondering if I’m underrating them. Typically Swedes/Finns but a couple Junior A players too. It’s all for fun, so we just do our best haha.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
If you were curious and had some time........

KHL shift by shift from November:

MHL playoff games from end of season:

I think the MHL games are the better sample and more indicative of his game, even if the level is lower. Kravtsov really broke out in the KHL playoffs later on, and the Nov. KHL game was a little uneventful. You'd have to manually scroll through the MHL games though.

After the u18s I finally caught some players I'd been unsure of how to rank, so everyone I have ranked I've pretty much seen multiple times, some a lot more than that. But there are some thorns in my side. I've never seen Bokk. How do I rank him? He's a bit of a controversial player who could go in the 1st. I don't know -- probably erring conservatively. Maybe I don't know how much I like him, or maybe something bugs me about him (typically hockey sense). Or Ylonen; same thing, maybe a round later. Jay O'Brien is a low-key potential early 2nd or something. I did get to see ~15 minutes of shifts on YouTube though. It’s hard to figure out where to rank them as I'm just not comfortable with them. There are a few more others I’ve seen but wish I’d seen more, wondering if I’m underrating them. Typically Swedes/Finns but a couple Junior A players too. It’s all for fun, so we just do our best haha.

I'll probably sit down and watch that tomorrow, him and Denisenko are the only mid-1st guys that I have almost no viewings of.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'll probably sit down and watch that tomorrow, him and Denisenko are the only mid-1st guys that I have almost no viewings of.

All MHL games can be streamed here: МХЛ

Denisenko (#14) plays on Loko. Righty LW, white stick tape, wears a cage, clearly looks like the most talented player -- not too hard to find. He really went in and out of the lineup, sometimes minutes fluctuated, so you'd have to find the games he played in here: Denisenko Grigory. His team actually won the MHL Championship, so some of the first games that come up are his playoff games (variable camera quality). I'll link a couple good ones below, just so you get the picture and can search on your own if you want:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Had a weird dream that Hexy went way off the rails and picked two players that weren't on HF Flyers' personal draft boards. Then I proceeded to join the neltdown by posting my angry feelings on the Fire Hextall thread.
That's certainly a possibility. ;)

One thing I'm glad about is that there are a number of players I like and wouldn't be particularly upset about drafting in round 1, so even if they pass up Kravtsov or another player I *really* like, there are other options that wouldn't upset me too much. That said, if they happen to pick one of the highly ranked players I don't like at all, it will be extra maddening.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given Hextall's track record so far, I'll trust his judgement.
Really, the only "misses" are Rubtsov and Laberge, and there were some extenuating circumstances, and they have time to turn it around.
Tomek in 3rd, again, injuries, and McFall in the 4th, but by pick #100, you're buying lottery tickets.

There's a cherry picking effect on fans, they remember the 2nd rd pick who made it big and ignore the 25 in every draft that go belly up.
If NAK becomes a solid bottom six forward, that's a darn good 2nd rd pick.
If Ratcliffe or Allison become a top six power forward, that a HR.

Reactions: wasup

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
@Appleyard any chance of u posting a draft list before the draft? I remember u saying kravtsov would be in ur top 10 about a month ago.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Trade up and take Dobson. Trade Sanheim and something for a rock to play with Provy.
What player do you have in mind who would be a rock to play with Provorov who could be had for Sanheim and something?

I also dont see Dobson as much better than what I think Sanheim is on his way to becoming

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
What player do you have in mind who would be a rock to play with Provorov who could be had for Sanheim and something?

I also dont see Dobson as much better than what I think Sanheim is on his way to becoming
Takes the body way more than Sanheim and is a RHD is I'm not mistaken. A Dman to play with Provy in my mind would be an all around type player like Doughty but that's a pipe dream right now. Dumba would be great as he takes the body,blocks shots,moves the puck and scores also. Something along those lines and I'm not a Sanheim fan and he was just flat out shit point or not this past series agaijnst a solid Marlies team. IMO remember.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Takes the body way more than Sanheim and is a RHD is I'm not mistaken. A Dman to play with Provy in my mind would be an all around type player like Doughty but that's a pipe dream right now. Dumba would be great as he takes the body,blocks shots,moves the puck and scores also. Something along those lines and I'm not a Sanheim fan and he was just flat out **** point or not this past series agaijnst a solid Marlies team. IMO remember.
I still think Sanheim is developing his physical game. I remember he was not very physical at all in Juniors and then his first season with the Phantoms he was very feisty. It was very reassuring to see him confident enough to push around guys much older than him. I think this year he was still trying to get used to so many other factors that go into playing in the NHL that he didnt give himself many opportunities to be that physical player. Hes still a big guy who i think is getting stronger every year. I never thought Hagg was a physical player but he led the league in hits this season.

I havent watched much of Dumba but i thought his profile was that he was a mostly offensive defensemen with weaker defense, but maybe hes developed past that.

Im still not ready to give up on Sanheim after his rookie season. I think he's very comparable to Dobson (minus handedness) and is a better option than Bouchard as well. I think only Dahlin, Hughes, and possibly Boqvist are the only dmen in this draft that i see as having a larger impact than Sanheim will.

I dont know if we have the pieces nor do i think theres a team willing to move a Hughes or Boqvist pick for what we'd be willing to trade. And even then, if we're moving into that territory (top 6?) Id rather target one of the offensive players like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, or Zadina

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I still think Sanheim is developing his physical game. I remember he was not very physical at all in Juniors and then his first season with the Phantoms he was very feisty. It was very reassuring to see him confident enough to push around guys much older than him. I think this year he was still trying to get used to so many other factors that go into playing in the NHL that he didnt give himself many opportunities to be that physical player. Hes still a big guy who i think is getting stronger every year. I never thought Hagg was a physical player but he led the league in hits this season.

I havent watched much of Dumba but i thought his profile was that he was a mostly offensive defensemen with weaker defense, but maybe hes developed past that.

Im still not ready to give up on Sanheim after his rookie season. I think he's very comparable to Dobson (minus handedness) and is a better option than Bouchard as well. I think only Dahlin, Hughes, and possibly Boqvist are the only dmen in this draft that i see as having a larger impact than Sanheim will.

I dont know if we have the pieces nor do i think theres a team willing to move a Hughes or Boqvist pick for what we'd be willing to trade. And even then, if we're moving into that territory (top 6?) Id rather target one of the offensive players like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, or Zadina
Love the post. I like boqvist also and would take anyone is the forwards you posted. Dumba is a killer that plays solid d and is right handed also.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
OhVz.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Takes the body way more than Sanheim and is a RHD is I'm not mistaken. A Dman to play with Provy in my mind would be an all around type player like Doughty but that's a pipe dream right now. Dumba would be great as he takes the body,blocks shots,moves the puck and scores also. Something along those lines and I'm not a Sanheim fan and he was just flat out **** point or not this past series agaijnst a solid Marlies team. IMO remember.

You have a lot of terrible hot takes.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You have a lot of terrible hot takes.
You like sanheim that's great but dumba is twice the player and it's not close and we need to push it now. Dobson is gonna be way better the sanheim also and he takes the body to and is a the. Real terrible hot takes lol.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe I am being pessimistic about management, but I am getting the feeling Sanheim is always going to be undervalued by the Flyers. If that is the case and they would actually play Dobson, I wouldn’t hate moving Sanheim to get him.

I just think Sanheim will always get screwed here because of how the team views defensemen. Hopefully I am wrong.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
You like sanheim that's great but dumba is twice the player and it's not close and we need to push it now. Dobson is gonna be way better the sanheim also and he takes the body to and is a the. Real terrible hot takes lol.

Yeah, and Dumba is two full years older, and probably not that easily acquirable.

Dobson could be better, but he is still 3+ years from even making any sizable impact. "We need to push now". Yeah, brilliant. Trade your top-4 NHL ready defenseman for another than is years away from the NHL. I'm sure you see the contradiction.

Reactions: IronMarshal

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yeah, and Dumba is two full years older, and probably not that easily acquirable.

Dobson could be better, but he is still 3+ years from even making any sizable impact. "We need to push now". Yeah, brilliant. Trade your top-4 NHL ready defenseman for another than is years away from the NHL. I'm sure you see the contradiction.
No read closer. I said trade samheim plus for a Dumba type. Trade up for a shot at Dobson. Read again man and don't be a :eek::eek::eek::eek: to a champion of my caliber either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad