Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft - Shall We Begin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
So, I looked at Pronman's final rankings. And uh......

ezgif-3-bb179baf5e.gif

Yeah.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just looked.

Ryan Merkley... All in.

I knew that though. It’s more the rest — you can give your favorites if you want! — though I don’t know why I’m surprised.

I’m honestly convinced he doesn’t care or have any ability to discern hockey sense or what translates. Far be it from me to criticize someone diverging from consensus, but it’s the poo flinging methodology of his rankings that drive me bonkers or controversial takes for the sake of it. You can never discern why he likes one player and not another or what he is even watching sometimes. He’s a slave to highlight reel raw talent, except when he’s not.

Reactions: Stizzle

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I knew that though. It’s more the rest — you can give your favorites if you want! — though I don’t know why I’m surprised.

I’m honestly convinced he doesn’t care or have any ability to discern hockey sense or what translates. Far be it from me to criticize someone diverging from consensus, but it’s the poo flinging methodology of his rankings that drive me bonkers or controversial takes for the sake of it. You can never discern why he likes one player and not another or what he is even watching sometimes. He’s a slave to highlight reel raw talent, except when he’s not.

I'm not going to even try making heads or tails of his rankings. Anyone who has followed him knows the deal by now.

It's just such a head scratcher to see guys like Farabee and Berggren listed as 2nd round talents. These are the exact type of guys he's gone gaga over in the past.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm not going to even try making heads or tails of his rankings. Anyone who has followed him knows the deal by now.

It's just such a head scratcher to see guys like Farabee and Berggren listed as 2nd round talents. These are the exact type of guys he's gone gaga over in the past.

But Bokk and Ishakov and Kupari and so on are 1sts to him.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
So I'm not really familiar with Pronman, but what I find most ridiculous, is that he doesn't have 31 guys in his first round selection pool. I'm sure he knows how it works, only having ~21 guys as 1st round picks just seems like a cop-out. He couldn't discern differences, so just called it quits and just pressed the easy button.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
In Pronman's own words:

Dominik Bokk: "His skating is fine, not explosive, but average. The main criticism of him is off the puck. He’s not a very intense physical player nor is he great defensively. His production hasn’t been amazing this season in Sweden’s junior circuit, but he didn’t play much high-level hockey until 17, so his game needs some maturing."

No. 8 overall.

wut

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
To maybe get a conversation going its looking like the devils will draft a Dman at #17 in the hf boards mock draft either Wilde or miller ....not sure what Columbus needs but kaut and Berggren still on the board.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
In Pronman's own words:

Dominik Bokk: "His skating is fine, not explosive, but average. The main criticism of him is off the puck. He’s not a very intense physical player nor is he great defensively. His production hasn’t been amazing this season in Sweden’s junior circuit, but he didn’t play much high-level hockey until 17, so his game needs some maturing."

No. 8 overall.

wut

Click bait

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pronman is not an expert. Hes just a fan with an opinion based on limited expertise. I think we all know that by now.

Just look at his 2013-2015 rankings. They are all over the place. More misses than hits. Bracco in top 20 in 2015, ROBERT HAGG top 20 in 2013, etc.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Click bait

It's not click bait -- you have to PAY for his shit! :laugh:

To maybe get a conversation going its looking like the devils will draft a Dman at #17 in the hf boards mock draft either Wilde or miller ....not sure what Columbus needs but kaut and Berggren still on the board.

giphy.gif

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Pronman is not an expert. Hes just a fan with an opinion based on limited expertise. I think we all know that by now.

Just look at his 2013-2015 rankings. They are all over the place. More misses than hits. Bracco in top 20 in 2015, ROBERT HAGG top 20 in 2013, etc.
Lol

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Where does he have Kravtsov and Nordgren?

15 and 30. I don't have an issue with that; it's close to mine. There are some lower/higher than consensus players I do agree with him on.

Farabee at like 27 -- skeptical about his offense. Berggren 24 -- wish he was more skilled/creative. Plenty other illogical ones that don't match any eye test or seem at odds with others he's ranked. :propeller

I guess I'm going in now.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Man. I don't agree with Farabee at 27. That kid is a player. Smart, high motor, sees the ice tremendously. I get that he probably won't be a 70 point player. But I see no reason he can't be a perennial 50-60 point player and general pain in the ass to play against, sort of like Oshie.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Man. I don't agree with Farabee at 27. That kid is a player. Smart, high motor, sees the ice tremendously. I get that he probably won't be a 70 point player. But I see no reason he can't be a perennial 50-60 point player and general pain in the ass to play against, sort of like Oshie.

If he's at 14, he would be my pick.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Who are you taking at 19 under this scenario. I am leaning Kupari or Kaut. I like Thomas a lot too.

1. Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda SHL
2. Carolina Hurricanes - Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie Colts OHL
3. Montreal Canadiens - Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL
4. Ottawa Senators - Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USNTDP
5. Arizona Coyotes - Noah Dobson, D, Bathurst Titan QMJHL
6. Detroit Red Wings - Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston University NCAA
7. Vancouver Canucks - Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan NCAA
8. Chicago Blackhawks - Evan Bouchard, D, London Knights OHL
9. New York Rangers - Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas SHL
10. Edmonton Oilers - Ty Smith, D, Spokane Chiefs WHL
11. New York Islanders - Barrett Hayton, C, Soo Greyhounds OHL
12. New York Islanders - Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP
13. Dallas Stars - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/LW, Assat Liiga
14. Philadelphia Flyers - Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP
15. Florida Panthers - Vitali Kravtsov, RW, Traktor Chelyabinsk KHL
16. Colorado Avalanche - Joe Veleno, C, Drumondville Voltigeurs QMJHL
17. New Jersey Devils - Isac Lundestrom, LW/C, Lulea HF SHL
18. Columbus Blue Jackets - Grigori Denisenko, LW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Who are you taking at 19 under this scenario. I am leaning Kupari or Kaut. I like Thomas a lot too.

1. Buffalo Sabres - Rasmus Dahlin, D, Frolunda SHL
2. Carolina Hurricanes - Andrei Svechnikov, RW, Barrie Colts OHL
3. Montreal Canadiens - Filip Zadina, LW, Halifax Mooseheads QMJHL
4. Ottawa Senators - Oliver Wahlstrom, RW, USNTDP
5. Arizona Coyotes - Noah Dobson, D, Bathurst Titan QMJHL
6. Detroit Red Wings - Brady Tkachuk, LW, Boston University NCAA
7. Vancouver Canucks - Quinn Hughes, D, Michigan NCAA
8. Chicago Blackhawks - Evan Bouchard, D, London Knights OHL
9. New York Rangers - Adam Boqvist, D, Brynas SHL
10. Edmonton Oilers - Ty Smith, D, Spokane Chiefs WHL
11. New York Islanders - Barrett Hayton, C, Soo Greyhounds OHL
12. New York Islanders - Bode Wilde, D, USNTDP
13. Dallas Stars - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/LW, Assat Liiga
14. Philadelphia Flyers - Joel Farabee, LW, USNTDP
15. Florida Panthers - Vitali Kravtsov, RW, Traktor Chelyabinsk KHL
16. Colorado Avalanche - Joe Veleno, C, Drumondville Voltigeurs QMJHL
17. New Jersey Devils - Isac Lundestrom, LW/C, Lulea HF SHL
18. Columbus Blue Jackets - Grigori Denisenko, LW, Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL

I'm with Magua. I think I lean Berggren in this scenario. Landing Berggren at 19 would be a dream.

Reactions: Insurrection

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
And Imagine our pick Is up at 19...kaut and berggren r still on the board and next trades back for Samuelsson :ha:

Depending on who we take at 14 and what we pick up trading down, I'd be less pissed about trading back for Samuelsson/Miller if Kaut was just on the board, especially if we take someone like Kravtsov, with a not dissimilar game. Berggren I've been upfront as saying I think has legit star potential, without the trappings other high skill junior players have (skating issues, poor hockey sense, low motor/soft, inconsistency). All those highlight reel stuff you see above is shift in and shift out; it's not cherry picking plays, trust me, and it usually is.

I don't think Kaut has that, much as I like him. I think he'll be a valuable 2nd line, 25-30 goal, 50-55 point 2-way player at his ceiling; middle 6 floor. I don't want to pass Berggren up whatever the cost. He's exactly what we need in the prospect pool too long-term, although I'm not sure who couldn't use a player with high end skills.

I just don't see anyone out there to justify it to me. Guys like Veleno (who probably is more <14) or Kupari or Wilde have really questionable hockey sense; I don't think Miller or Samuelsson have enough upside, though they're fine; Hayton too, and I'm not in love with his play with the puck; Denisenko seems less a Flyers pick than Berggren anyway and with no higher upside and a lower floor; guys like Lundestrom are too safe and low ceiling to me; I do like Akil Thomas, who was mentioned, but I think he's a little low ceiling too, as he's not a real dynamic skater or player overall who lacks that top gear, and I'm not sold he's a 1st rounder even. I for sure have 7 players ranked above Berggren: Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Dobson, Hughes, Tkachuk. I'll let that stand. Every draft I get obsessed with a certain player or two: like Keller 2 years ago, Thomas last year, Berggren this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig