2018 HFAvs Mock offseason game UFA open)

Seattle Expansion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
13 spots left, I'd hate to have to double up on teams.

Or we could also do a dispersal draft if we dont fill up. Would just have to raise the cap a bit more than 80m

Avs44

May 16, 2011
13 spots left, I'd hate to have to double up on teams.

Or we could also do a dispersal draft if we dont fill up. Would just have to raise the cap a bit more than 80m

It's way funner with a full group, so I think I'd almost rather wait than do a dispersal draft. There have to be enough Avs fans around the board still.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
11 more to go.

Rules have been posted in the roster thread, use that thread to post your rosters when we get started, this thread will be used for discussion and announcements.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
While considering which teams I would be interested in, the presence of NMC (and NTC to a lesser extent) has come up. Are we dealing with them on a case by case basis like previous years (provide justification for a move and then hope others agree) or is there a different plan to deal with these situations?

I don't want to end up limiting moves because of an inability to move people with NMC that no longer fit in the plans

Edit: NVM missed the section on it in the rules

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
While considering which teams I would be interested in, the presence of NMC (and NTC to a lesser extent) has come up. Are we dealing with them on a case by case basis like previous years (provide justification for a move and then hope others agree) or is there a different plan to deal with these situations?

I don't want to end up limiting moves because of an inability to move people with NMC that no longer fit in the plans

Edit: NVM missed the section on it in the rules

Yeah, Aslan and I had talks about what to do and had a couple ideas, but this method seems to be the least complicated even if some dont agree with the ruling on NMC players.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Also, is there no re-signing of UFA's?

Just want to make sure before the draft and I pick a team. It would suck to take a team with the plan involving re-signing someone and that ending up being based on a UFA period later on that involves less control.

I'm pretty sure we've done it both ways in past years.

But teams like Vegas with Neal/Perron, Sharks with Kane/Thornton, Jets with Enstrom/Stastny, Isles with Tavares/De Haan and Leafs with JVR/Komorov would all likely involve different approaches to the teams regarding whether they can re-sign the players prior to the actual UFA period or if they need to potentially try and fill the holes prior to UFA if they don't have the funds to compete with some other teams (or if they feel they will have a sufficient back up option in UFA as well)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Also, is there no re-signing of UFA's?

Just want to make sure before the draft and I pick a team. It would suck to take a team with the plan involving re-signing someone and that ending up being based on a UFA period later on that involves less control.

I'm pretty sure we've done it both ways in past years.

But teams like Vegas with Neal/Perron, Sharks with Kane/Thornton, Jets with Enstrom/Stastny, Isles with Tavares/De Haan and Leafs with JVR/Komorov would all likely involve different approaches to the teams regarding whether they can re-sign the players prior to the actual UFA period or if they need to potentially try and fill the holes prior to UFA if they don't have the funds to compete with some other teams (or if they feel they will have a sufficient back up option in UFA as well)

I missed addressing that, I think that not being able to sign UFAs makes it a bit more fun (unless it's a rebuiler I guess). We can allow a limited number of UFA signings if people want. I'd just think it's more fun if guys like Tavares, Stastny and Carlson can be bid on. I'll leave it up to you guys

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I missed addressing that, I think that not being able to sign UFAs makes it a bit more fun (unless it's a rebuiler I guess). We can allow a limited number of UFA signings if people want. I'd just think it's more fun if guys like Tavares, Stastny and Carlson can be bid on. I'll leave it up to you guys

I'd be open to an 'overpayment' period where teams could resign UFAs, but it would have to be at an extreme overpayment. Example - Tavares @ 15 mil or Stastny @ 8 mil type of deals. Not necessarily realistic, but it makes them have to make a choice whether they want that UFA badly enough.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
My proposition for UFA would be the following;

1. "UFA Re-signing" would be limited to the RFA Re-signing period.
2. Teams are only able to "re-sign" 1 UFA prior to the actual free agency.
3. A legitimate reason must be given for the player to agree to re-sign (Team has taken steps to compete now, hometown, long time player, etc.)
4. Limit the number of offers. There can't be a back and forth. Say something like 2 offers, if they are rejected it's time to move one.
5. No sign and trades. If you re-sign someone they stay on your roster until the end. If you trade rights, it is simply the UFA rights you are trading.

This allows people the opportunity to attempt to get the jump on 1 player. If they have two, they leave the 2nd unsigned and try and get them in free agency.

It also provides minimal value to UFA rights in a situation that someone might not be looking to keep a certain player.

The limit to 1 UFA would hopefully ensure that some bigger names are still available (Players could either keep their own, trade for rights to someone they want to ensure they hit free agency or be left unsigned due to the market.)

Obviously would be open to changes and such, just a basic thing I thought of to give people a little more room for planning what they want to do.

In the situation Vegas for example would either have to trade one of Perron or Neal or have one of them go to UFA and try and get them there.

Obviously I would expect there to be a decrease to some degree in what is available, but in theory there should still be options available because a competitive team likely isn't going to trade UFA rights for a player they want to a competitor and weaken the UFA market for themselves at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad