Speculation: 2018 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
No matter who they draft in the second round he will have character be skilled in many areas but have a blemish - a little undersized or not the greatest skater or shot

But then something will happen and his Weakness will be addressed and it will no longer be glaring or much of a concern

He will never make any HF List or Hockey News top 100 but He will end up being better and playing longer than more than 2/3

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I'm hoping Jack McBain continues to drop.

McBain was ranked on every public rankings as a first round pick coming into the season. Some still have him as a very high second, some as a low second.

McBain is committed to Boston College so the OHL (Barrie) wasn't an option for him. He had the option to go to the USHL which probably would have at least maintained his draft ranking but decided to stay home and play in the OJHL, which is not heavily scouted and in my opinion had a lot to do with his drop in the rankings.

I wrote this on McBain way back in early December

Jack McBain – Toronto Jr Canadiens – Player Profile

Holy moly. Love the sound of him. Increases production in playoffs. Also, can only be a plus that he will play in their backyard.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

McBain was ranked on every public rankings as a first round pick coming into the season. Some still have him as a very high second, some as a low second.

McBain is committed to Boston College so the OHL (Barrie) wasn't an option for him. He had the option to go to the USHL which probably would have at least maintained his draft ranking but decided to stay home and play in the OJHL, which is not heavily scouted and in my opinion had a lot to do with his drop in the rankings.

In your opinion, Bruins come out of the 2nd round picking McBain, where does he slot on the depth chart?

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012

also very nice hockey player[McBain] your right he ranked in mid 30's so sure he wont be there unless like u said bruins move up

Last edited:

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
McBain is definitely the player I want he bruins to target in the 2nd round. I will be very happy. I think they should focus this draft on center prospects.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
also very nice hockey player[McBain] your right he ranked in mid 30's so sure he wont be there unless like u said bruins move up

35 on NHL Central Scouting's final rankings among North Americans. Add in Euros and a goaltender or two and your looking at early 50's according to Central.

Bob McKenzie had him 26th among all players on his mid-term rankings. Will be interesting to see where he ends up on his final rankings in June.

Reactions: BiGBear8

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
gimme kirill marchenko with the 57th pick. right-shot winger, does a lot of things we're looking for.
but he's russian, so probably a long-shot. also like a few right shot defenders - alec regula, ty emberson
seth barton to name a few.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
gimme kirill marchenko with the 57th pick. right-shot winger, does a lot of things we're looking for.
but he's russian, so probably a long-shot. also like a few right shot defenders - alec regula, ty emberson

I was thinking big Euro with 57 as well. Oskar Back... or a couple Czechs Jan Jenik and Jakub Lauko.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom I seen lots about this young swede but why is he rated so low[Jonatan Berggren]

Not my area, so I can only speculate.

I think a part of it is the number of players re-entering the draft. If I am looking strictly at the OHL, usually you'll get a couple drafted their second time around. This year there is a dozen that have a legit shot at getting drafted. They are older and have a larger sample size, so that may be a part of it - and then someone has to drop.

Another guy that stuns me is Tyler Tucker. He was ranked around 100 on Central Scouting's mid-term rankings and then on their final ranking was left on the outside looking in.

Tyler Tucker – Barrie Colts – Player Profile

Reactions: BiGBear8

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I like Regula. There are a lot of people questioning how much of his play was due to playing with Evan Bouchard. While I think it benefited him, I also think from start to finish, he was one of the most improved blueliners in the OHL among draft eligible players. And with a lot of eyes on Bouchard this season, Regula got a lot of looks from scouts.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Another guy that stuns me is Tyler Tucker. He was ranked around 100 on Central Scouting's mid-term rankings and then on their final ranking was left on the outside looking in.

what's your thoughts on tucker? think he's definitely getting drafted?
could see him as a guy that replaces lindgren in the organization. can
never have too many physical/competitive guys IMO.

Last edited:

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Not my area, so I can only speculate.

I think a part of it is the number of players re-entering the draft. If I am looking strictly at the OHL, usually you'll get a couple drafted their second time around. This year there is a dozen that have a legit shot at getting drafted. They are older and have a larger sample size, so that may be a part of it - and then someone has to drop.

thanks Dom...and I just read about Tucker big boy loves too hit

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I haven`t a clue what the B`s might even be targeting this year and my "expertise" (that`s huge sarcasm) is very limited to being exposed to QMJHL players and the odd game from the OHL/WHL I catch on the tube from time to time but not enough of one team to try and guess who might be a target.

Couple of D-men I like from the Q

Noah Dobson is a very good player but likely long gone before the B`s pick and he`s a righty which I`m not sure they are/would be looking for. Big, tall kid, offensive instincts are very good, solid in his own zone too, needs to beef up though

Jared McIssac- Mooseheads (yep, this could be biased), Left shot D man, not the offensive instinct of Dobson but great speed, great first pass and terrific shot, not as tall as Dobson but I "think" he`s already thicker but would still be a candidate to put some more beef on. Has no hesitation playing physical hockey, not sure though if he`ll still be there when the B`s pick

A few Center-men- Joe Veleno/Benoit-Olivier Groulx: Veleno- never ending motor, loves going to the dirty areas, I found him to be a bit more of a playmaker than finisher, crazy speed, needs more bulk to his frame

Groulx- IMO, finisher, his first season in Halifax (well in training camp actually) I just couldn`t see why the Moose spent their first overall pick on the kid, hated his skating understanding it`s an aspect that could be improved upon but it was very poor. He`s still a kid who`ll need to work on it IMO but he`s improved leaps and bounds which indicates to me the kid is willing to put the work in to improve but for a kid whose skating still isn`t quite there, he`s very solid on his blades, not easy to push off the puck. Away from the puck and defensively the kid is mature beyond his years. Sublime wrist/snap shot too

That`s all I got, again, don`t have the access nor the experience of the Dom`s and others on here

Reactions: Flannelman

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I haven`t a clue what the B`s might even be targeting this year and my "expertise" (that`s huge sarcasm) is very limited to being exposed to QMJHL players and the odd game from the OHL/WHL I catch on the tube from time to time but not enough of one team to try and guess who might be a target.

Couple of D-men I like from the Q

Noah Dobson is a very good player but likely long gone before the B`s pick and he`s a righty which I`m not sure they are/would be looking for. Big, tall kid, offensive instincts are very good, solid in his own zone too, needs to beef up though

Jared McIssac- Mooseheads (yep, this could be biased), Left shot D man, not the offensive instinct of Dobson but great speed, great first pass and terrific shot, not as tall as Dobson but I "think" he`s already thicker but would still be a candidate to put some more beef on. Has no hesitation playing physical hockey, not sure though if he`ll still be there when the B`s pick

A few Center-men- Joe Veleno/Benoit-Olivier Groulx: Veleno- never ending motor, loves going to the dirty areas, I found him to be a bit more of a playmaker than finisher, crazy speed, needs more bulk to his frame

Groulx- IMO, finisher, his first season in Halifax (well in training camp actually) I just couldn`t see why the Moose spent their first overall pick on the kid, hated his skating understanding it`s an aspect that could be improved upon but it was very poor. He`s still a kid who`ll need to work on it IMO but he`s improved leaps and bounds which indicates to me the kid is willing to put the work in to improve but for a kid whose skating still isn`t quite there, he`s very solid on his blades, not easy to push off the puck. Away from the puck and defensively the kid is mature beyond his years. Sublime wrist/snap shot too

That`s all I got, again, don`t have the access nor the experience of the Dom`s and others on here

Not an expert in the slightest on this stuff but I think all 4 of the players you listed will be gone before the Bruins pick in the 2nd; 57th. There's a good chance that Dobson, McIsaac, and Veleno are all gone by #20. Not too sure on Groulx. I see him ranked all over the place.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not an expert in the slightest on this stuff but I think all 4 of the players you listed will be gone before the Bruins pick in the 2nd; 57th. There's a good chance that Dobson, McIsaac, and Veleno are all gone by #20. Not too sure on Groulx. I see him ranked all over the place.

I don`t disagree other than Groulx who might still be there but again, ya never know, DS might make a deal to get that pick back for the opening round. Either way, my post was more about me trying to bulk up my number of posts on HF than offering anything helpful:laugh:

Kidding, wonder out loud if the B`s might be on the prowl for a winger with some size, speed and a bit of nasty to his game? Easier said than done

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Cam Hillis – Guelph Storm – Player Profile
Offensively, Hillis has an ability to gain the zone, and when he does he is able to keep possession. He can slow the play down and be patient, waiting for the play to develop. He uses those assets wisely and when paired with his very good vision and passing abilities, makes him a dangerous playmaker. Those skills come to the forefront on the power play.

This kid sounds intriguing. Credit to @Dom - OHL for the piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad