Speculation: 2018 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
That’s a shame lolol. Setting yourself up to ***** about the draft since they won’t be getting him?

Over under on “*****ing posts about how the bruins are soft and should have found a way to draft Tachuck.”

I’m going 25, may be light.
Tkachuk will b a sen or a coyotes

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Draft isn’t so appealing without a first rounder. Meh... I don’t know enough about the lower prospects to be interested.

Reactions: JOKER 192

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Draft isn’t so appealing without a first rounder. Meh... I don’t know enough about the lower prospects to be interested.
Unless Sweeney makes some trades again, definitely not as much interest in draft day itself.

The rest of the draft is usually the long game.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Bruins have been money in the second round lately
Don't disagree, but I think those are usually surprises (to most) later on, than draft day fun. Bruins with no 1st round pick, and unless they make a trade, likely draft day is gonna be a snooze for Bruins fans.

This said, I do hope they keep up tradition with good 2nd round picks though. That's definitely encouraging.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
it`s where the scouts really make their $$$
Coincidentally, scouts are also the ones who cause guys to fall down the rankings...often for bad reasons like size and character, ignorance of cognitive biases, etc. Seems like draftiung is really just teams exploiting each other's blindspots, cowardice, and slavishness to outdated thinking.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I like the idea of taking a RD or a center, I wouldn't mind us trading up to late first early second either for a guy they really like. McBain is a guy I liked since November and Jett Woo seems like a safe pick but I don't think either guy will be there when we are scheduled to pick.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Coincidentally, scouts are also the ones who cause guys to fall down the rankings...often for bad reasons like size and character, ignorance of cognitive biases, etc. Seems like draftiung is really just teams exploiting each other's blindspots, cowardice, and slavishness to outdated thinking.

I don`t think it`s wise to discount a prospect solely on size but I can certainly see the value of assessing the character of a prospect. These kids are just that, kids, and sometimes they may do things that are immature however, if a prospects attitude is one where he`s earned a reputation as being someone who isn`t coachable or has an attitude, that`s valuable information. Not that we haven`t seen a prospect change as they get older but I don`t think just ignoring character is wise either

While my ego says I`m possibly the best scout in the Maritimes, truth is, I haven`t a clue what goes into process. It has to be an incredibly difficult job and one that involves tons of travel and stays in crappy hotels. It`s proven to be an inexact science, many "can`t misses" miss badly, others who are picked in late rounds wind up being solid NHL contributors, ya just never know

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don`t think it`s wise to discount a prospect solely on size but I can certainly see the value of assessing the character of a prospect. These kids are just that, kids, and sometimes they may do things that are immature however, if a prospects attitude is one where he`s earned a reputation as being someone who isn`t coachable or has an attitude, that`s valuable information. Not that we haven`t seen a prospect change as they get older but I don`t think just ignoring character is wise either

While my ego says I`m possibly the best scout in the Maritimes, truth is, I haven`t a clue what goes into process. It has to be an incredibly difficult job and one that involves tons of travel and stays in crappy hotels. It`s proven to be an inexact science, many "can`t misses" miss badly, others who are picked in late rounds wind up being solid NHL contributors, ya just never know

Those with serious character issues will never make the cut. Kirill Kabanov is a classic example. Talented and with skill, but some serious character issues that were well documented. Fell to the 3rd round because of those issues. Two years in the AHL before being sent to the ECHL. A total of 13 games over 2 KHL seasons - couldn't even make it there. Now playing in Denmark.

More recently, Anthony DeAngelo. 19th overall pick in 2014 already on his third NHL franchise.

Those types of players will always get drafted because there will always be someone out there that believes they "can change them."

Let someone else deal with those issues.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Those with serious character issues will never make the cut. Kirill Kabanov is a classic example. Talented and with skill, but some serious character issues that were well documented. Fell to the 3rd round because of those issues. Two years in the AHL before being sent to the ECHL. A total of 13 games over 2 KHL seasons - couldn't even make it there. Now playing in Denmark.

More recently, Anthony DeAngelo. 19th overall pick in 2014 already on his third NHL franchise.

Those types of players will always get drafted because there will always be someone out there that believes they "can change them."

Let someone else deal with those issues.

Still waiting on Ho-Sang to be the steal of the draft.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like RW Riley Sutter at 57. Big power forward. Also has the bloodlines.

Bloodlines are one thing to consider, but it’s not like the younger generation of Sutters has exactly lit it up in the NHL.

Brent, Brian, Darryl, Duane, Rich and Ron were money with 7 seasons being the least amount of NHL time. However, the kids have not been nearly as successful. Brandon is the only one that has lived up to the Sutter “bloodline”.

Brett has played a whopping 60 NHL games, Brody less at 12 games, and those were the good ones. Luke was originally a 2012 2nd round pick and last year he was a freshman at Univ of Saskatchewan. Shaun Sutter was a 4th round Calgary pick in 1998 and the highest he got was 11 AHL games one season. Merrick Sutter never got above the AJHL.

I don’t know jack about Riley, but just because his name is Sutter, it doesn’t mean we should be drafting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad