Speculation: 2018 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We got one, Swayman has been doing and excellent job at Maine

We actually got two, as in addition to Swayman, who is very much outperforming much higher drafted players at the moment . They also signed Kyle Keyser who Dom has written about fequently

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
We did take 2 goalies in the last 2 drafts and signed a third as an UFA. Macintyre is playing great down in the AHL too and may be about ready to make the jump. I don't know if any of Swayman, Vlader, or Keyser will do anything with themselves but I don't think we need to add to the quantity right now unless somebody our scouts REALLY likes falls a couple of rounds. In the first round especially I would like to see us either pick up a center (maybe even trade up for one...possibly Mcbain if he isn't expected to be where we draft) or a RD. I wouldn't mind trading up in general to lower the quantity but increase the quality of our prospect pool.

I just disagree. Adding another Swayman type prospect doesn't affect anything with the current roster or the current contract limit. Like I said, drafting a player like Mcintyre could potentially mean he signs his first pro deal FOUR years after hes drafted. Zane was signed to his first pro deal FIVE years after he was drafted.

I don't go out of my way to draft a goalie but if we're in the last half of the draft and theres a goalie that is on the NCAA track I'm all over him.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
We got one, Swayman has been doing and excellent job at Maine

He's a stud. I have high hopes for him.

I think theres a lot of value in drafting goalies late...Connor Hellybuck is a good example. Won't count against the contract limit for a number of years while he develops, and if he doesnt develop all that results is a failed late round pick.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'll say it again, I really hope we don't own this pick 1st round pick come deadline time...

And for me to even type that means I was 100% wrong about Sweeney/the team.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
No question we need to draft down the middle. Frederick will be an NHLer, but he may not be a 1 or a 2 center.

People here do, But i dont see JFK as anything special. I could be wrong. i have only seen him play four times. But honestly, i dont see top six guy.

Drafting down the middle this season is the way to go.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I agree center should be where we're looking, as I think we have the least prospect depth there. And I don't think we need to trade up to get a couple good center prospects. Bergeron and Krejci weren't first round picks.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I disagree that center is where we have the least prospect depth, we don't have any young centers in the NHL (Donato as a center in the NHL may or may not happen) but we have JFK, Frederick, and Studnicka who all look like they could be NHL players and who knows what their upside could be. We do not however have a single RD prospect at the moment, we have two young guys in the NHL who look fantastic but not one prospect. As far as trading up I like to imagine our first pick is going to be 62 and if there are guys we really like at the end of the 1st or early 2nd I think we have the prospect depth where targeting them makes sense.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
It's not super relevant right now but CS just released it's final rankings.
North American Skaters
International Skaters
I would really like to see us trade up to pick a RD or a center if they find one they really like. Jett Woo would be my choice and should be available late first round or early second.
I would take him only for the Rick flair “woo” call after he scores or assists on a goal.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Red Line says draft isn't as deep as expected and there's disappointment over many players lack of development ,I believe we heard the same thing about last years draft and I'm pretty happy with what we got
So that said I predict Boston drafts this kid
Jay O'Brien

Reactions: Tampbear

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
Red Line says draft isn't as deep as expected and there's disappointment over many players lack of development ,I believe we heard the same thing about last years draft and I'm pretty happy with what we got
So that said I predict Boston drafts this kid
Jay O'Brien
ok will stay with a center and say they might go with Jonatan Berggren[Sweden]

Reactions: Kaoz

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
If it's too early, mods can delete this.

I came across an article about my friend's son today. Obviously, I'm biased, but great family, great kid. I'd love to see the B's grab him in the mid-rounds.

Michael Kesselring

Reactions: LouJersey

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012

try out this youngster maybe 6round

Liam Gorman

Height: 6-foot-1 | Weight: 160 pounds
Stats: 17-16-33, 30 GP
another late rounder for bruins my guess

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
In the late 3rd/early 4th round, if he slides to it, I'd move up to take Simon Johansson. Wish I knew PJ Axelsson to I could get a more in depth scouting report. Good size, can make a great tape to tape pass. I have seen/read very little, but he intrigues me. Maybe he can convince his cousin Alex Wennberg to play with us when he hits FA.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
In the late 3rd/early 4th round, if he slides to it, I'd move up to take Simon Johansson. Wish I knew PJ Axelsson to I could get a more in depth scouting report. Good size, can make a great tape to tape pass. I have seen/read very little, but he intrigues me. Maybe he can convince his cousin Alex Wennberg to play with us when he hits FA.

I'm hoping Jack McBain continues to drop.

McBain was ranked on every public rankings as a first round pick coming into the season. Some still have him as a very high second, some as a low second.

McBain is committed to Boston College so the OHL (Barrie) wasn't an option for him. He had the option to go to the USHL which probably would have at least maintained his draft ranking but decided to stay home and play in the OJHL, which is not heavily scouted and in my opinion had a lot to do with his drop in the rankings.

I wrote this on McBain way back in early December

Jack McBain – Toronto Jr Canadiens – Player Profile

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm hoping Jack McBain continues to drop.

McBain was ranked on every public rankings as a first round pick coming into the season. Some still have him as a very high second, some as a low second.

McBain is committed to Boston College so the OHL (Barrie) wasn't an option for him. He had the option to go to the USHL which probably would have at least maintained his draft ranking but decided to stay home and play in the OJHL, which is not heavily scouted and in my opinion had a lot to do with his drop in the rankings.

I wrote this on McBain way back in early December

Jack McBain – Toronto Jr Canadiens – Player Profile

Sounds good Dom, usually I avoid trying to catch the falling knife guys, as those usually end up as bloody messes. (Falling knife being once highly touted prospect who tanked his value in draft year)

Sounds like a great potential option if he fell.

Reading earlier I see a lot of talk about needing more help at C, without a #1 pick, it seems likely that whomever you draft would rank behind JFK, Frederick and Studnicka, you never know and you might get lucky,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad