2017 WCQF Series Topic - Blackhawks vs Predators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I can't even be heartbroken about this.
They just didn't have it.

On to next year!

That is where I am at. They didn't deserve it one bit. Played poorly top to bottom and got their ass handed to them by the better team. It happens.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
Again. .had Q had the balls to bag-skate his slackers fat' cats after the Florida Fiasco game ,the coasting virus that infected the team never would have persisted.

They had the "it" of excellence in February ..but Q with his tolerating slacking off down the home stretch cost them to loose their edge and the bad habits kept coming g till they completely lost their former "it"...so in the end they had NADA..

Q let them coadt home ..that really cost them..they list Team purpose and focus ..they lost any intensity and desire to compete hard to win. .They list "it"...The Coach has tp take primary blame for this ..You can never tolerate sloppy habits and slacker playy ..it comes back to bite you when you require excellence again..This time. ..they could not flip the switch.

Keith Jones on NBCSN just reiterated some of what you posted, he said in his opinion Hawks lost their mojo after resting instead of fighting till the end like the Preds had to do. Your country club comments have a very valid point.

Wouldn't mind bringing in another coach.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Unless the entire team had mono that was a gutless performance.

Getting outplayed is one thing...the Preds played well, but im not sure we could have won a game against ANY of the other playoff teams. All but Hossa, TVR, Kane, Kriger, and especially Crawfors should feel ashamed and embarrassed.

Q needs to be out of here. With the effort we saw we wouldnt have won the series with any coach but his moves were ****ing ridiculous. Give the vets all thr latitude in the world and rotate the kids out after a bad game. He showed again he lacks thr ability to make tactical adjustments, instead opting for thr lineup musical chairs.

The Predators displayed what aggression can do. It creates turnovers and opportunities. The Hawks created none as they wernt aggressive and had poor anticipation.

What maybe pissed me off the most was the strategic reluctance of giving up the stretch pass in lieux of working the puck up the ice via shorter passes. Several turnovers and icings from continuing to do something that didnt work.

Easily the lowest point of the franchise in the last 10 years. Still some great pieces but the coaching, defense, and special teams are a ****ing mess.

HawksFan37

Dec 27, 2007
So, assuming that firing Q to send a message is even remotely possible, who is out there as a potential replacement?

For the record if that's what happens (along with the needed roster shake up too) I won't shed any tears. There's lots of credit for Q for the last decade, but a lot of the complacency, mind boggling playing of washed up vets and the poor special teams is on him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Q's not getting canned, period. We just came off a 50 win campaign, a bitterly disappointing early exit doesn't change that with his track record.

But to play devil's advocate.... who really is that attractive as a coach? I can't think of a realistic option that'd be better than Q.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Lol, this sucks but was expected. Worrisome that regular season superstar Panarin is a no show in the playoffs. Luckily only two more years of that.

If people were hurt in this series and underperformed because of it, that happens. If not, we probably saw the end of an era since then we only have one really good player left in Patrick Kane.

Excited for the draft and for DeBrincats Calder run next season, peace out!

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Keith Jones on NBCSN just reiterated some of what you posted, he said in his opinion Hawks lost their mojo after resting instead of fighting till the end like the Preds had to do. Your country club comments have a very valid point.

Wouldn't mind bringing in another coach.

How did fighting to the end work out for the WHITE-HOT Flames???

Oh yeah, they were the only OTHER team swept out!

This sentiment is hog-wash. They just did not have it and the Preds were super motivated and ready for this series. Nothing more.

On to next year.

P.S. No one is beating the Pens anyhow which really ticks me off! Thought Washington "might" but they will be lucky to escape round 1 as they are in their usual playoff spiral already!

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Unless the entire team had mono that was a gutless performance.

Getting outplayed is one thing...the Preds played well, but im not sure we could have won a game against ANY of the other playoff teams. All but Hossa, TVR, Kane, Kriger, and especially Crawfors should feel ashamed and embarrassed.

Q needs to be out of here. With the effort we saw we wouldnt have won the series with any coach but his moves were ****ing ridiculous. Give the vets all thr latitude in the world and rotate the kids out after a bad game. He showed again he lacks thr ability to make tactical adjustments, instead opting for thr lineup musical chairs.

The Predators displayed what aggression can do. It creates turnovers and opportunities. The Hawks created none as they wernt aggressive and had poor anticipation.

What maybe pissed me off the most was the strategic reluctance of giving up the stretch pass in lieux of working the puck up the ice via shorter passes. Several turnovers and icings from continuing to do something that didnt work.

Easily the lowest point of the franchise in the last 10 years. Still some great pieces but the coaching, defense, and special teams are a ****ing mess.

Agree with most of what you say and I would add that yes the stars needed to play much, MUCH better but I watch the Pens daily (live in western PA) and their young guys ALL are performing at a VERY high level. The hawks got zip, SQUAT from their young guys, most of which had good regular seasons. And this was year 2 of NO playoff goals for the breadman....

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Lol, this sucks but was expected. Worrisome that regular season superstar Panarin is a no show in the playoffs. Luckily only two more years of that.

If people were hurt in this series and underperformed because of it, that happens. If not, we probably saw the end of an era since then we only have one really good player left in Patrick Kane.

Excited for the draft and for DeBrincats Calder run next season, peace out!

Panarin is a piece to consider trading for a bonifide top 2 D and hopefully a RHD.
Find a new home for Seabs ( I know highly unlikely! ) and go from there with a quick mini rebuild.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Agree with most of what you say and I would add that yes the stars needed to play much, MUCH better but I watch the Pens daily (live in western PA) and their young guys ALL are performing at a VERY high level. The hawks got zip, SQUAT from their young guys, most of which had good regular seasons. And this was year 2 of NO playoff goals for the breadman....

The Pens young guys all have an entire year/full Cup run under their belt as far as experience goes. This teams young guys... just played their first 4 playoff games of their career, and with the "Country Club" in full effect, they were severely unprepared for the PO's, and the type of hockey played in them.

That's on coaching. I could care less if Q is fired or not right now. There's not really an attractive replacement out there at the moment anyways. But fire his entire staff of assistants. Send a message that if this type of thing continues, he's on his way out too.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Again..Q lost it when they had that Fiasco in Florida against the Panthers..That was the time to clamp down and Demand fill 60 effort from his players..Next game in TB they gave a 1/3 of tge game only effort and costed to finish from there ..No ..I am right..KEITH Jonesville 109% right. ..Q did nothing to stop complacency when he let this lazy bunch coast instead of Demanding pursuit of excellence. This is tge Country Club story in a nutshell..Q has got to go ...The 50 win season was a smoke and mirrors that rode goid goaltending for 90% of the season and luck in tight 1 goal games plus 3x3 victories in OT.. A lot of the 50 wins were hardly domination. But the point is Q failed to prepare them to max exertion and compete level for playoffs..That is a true indictment ...in addition his woeful special teams were bad all season ...He did have some team flaws nit of his making. ..poor faceoff guys after Toews..That is on Stan to find Centres who can win draws in addition to generating plays and playing good D ..

As to his 1C Problem...partly due to Toews regression in play (except for 6 good weeks 2 years in a row) but also due to Q not giving Toews a good kick in the pants ....during g the regular seadon..and if Toews refused to respond with exertion play then Q needed tge guys to strip the "leader" of his captaincy. ..Q ran a coddled Country Club ...whwre fat cat vets had no accountability.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Toews- D-
Schmaltz- D-
Panik- D
Kane- C-
Anisimov-F
Panarin-D-
Hartman- F+
Kero-B-
Hossa-C
Kruger-B
Rasmussen-B
Tootoo-C-
Keith-C-
Hammer-D+
Seabrook-C
Oduya-F
TVR-C
Campbell-D-
Kempny-B-
Crawford-B

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Toews- D-
Schmaltz- D-
Panik- D
Kane- C-
Anisimov-F
Panarin-D-
Hartman- F+
Kero-B-
Hossa-C
Kruger-B
Rasmussen-B
Tootoo-C-
Keith-C-
Hammer-D+
Seabrook-C
Oduya-F
TVR-C
Campbell-D-
Kempny-B-
Crawford-B

A little harsh on some guys, IMO.

Toews - F
Schmaltz - F
Panik - B-
Kane - C-
Anisimov - D
Panarin - D
Hartman - F
Kero - A or B+
Hossa - A-(Only guy who looked like he gave a ****. He had one bad play, but otherwise looked good)
Kruger - A
Ras - B
Tootoo - B
Keith - C
Hammer - C-
Seabrook - C-
Oduya - I (For Invisible)
TVR - B+
Campbell - D
Kempny - B
Crawford - B

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't buy the resting guys took their edge off argument. I might buy it with a different team that hasn't had the level of success the hawks have had. If I'm management, I'm placing trust in the guys who have been there before and won vs. having them skate balls to the walls for 60 minutes in 4 meaningless games at the end of the season.

Now, obviously, that said they ended up looking tired and unmotivated, but to blame that on them taking it easy for a few games is a bit silly to me. I could maybe buy it for one game but not for a whole series. The fact is they just looked slow, tired and disinterested and Nashville was the opposite.

Alternatively, is making guys play more going to make them less tired? It's just an excuse IMO when the reality is they played terribly and looked ragged.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW

Toews - F
Schmaltz - F
Panik - B-
Kane - C-
Anisimov - D
Panarin - D
Hartman - F
Kero - A or B+
Hossa - A-(Only guy who looked like he gave a ****. He had one bad play, but otherwise looked good)
Kruger - A
Ras - B
Tootoo - B
Keith - C
Hammer - C-
Seabrook - C-
TVR - B+
Campbell - D
Kempny - B
Crawford - B

Agree, except:

Keith: F
Seabrook C+
Hartman D
Panik, C+
Kane: D+

Anyway you slice it though, this is an epic failure by us, but you gotta tip your hats to the Preds...they played how they shoiuld have played--a tight, cohesive game with a definite plan--and all the players bought-in and executed. That play might not get you a cup but it will get you far.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Agree, except:

Keith: F
Seabrook C+
Hartman D
Panik, C+
Kane: D+

Anyway you slice it though, this is an epic failure by us, but you gotta tip your hats to the Preds...they played how they shoiuld have played--a tight, cohesive game with a definite plan--and all the players bought-in and executed. That play might not get you a cup but it will get you far.

Even our disagreements are pretty damn close.

Keith only got elevated because I thought he had a pretty good game last night.

The rest... we're only off by +'s and -'s.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Even our disagreements are pretty damn close.

Keith only got elevated because I thought he had a pretty good game last night.

The rest... we're only off by +'s and -'s.

Good point. Still, even if Keith wasn't as-bad as he was in the previous games (he still has one brutal turnover that Crawford had to bail him out on), I don't think it would elevate him anywhere past D. Of our really deep-core guys, he was probably the worst of the bunch overall even though the argument for Toews is there as well. It looked to me like he didn't hit the jets until midway through the 3rd (right about when Toews snapped his 748-minuted playoff goalless slump).

Seabrook, Hossa, and Crawford at least brought something to the table if not execution. Toews, Kane and Keith were woefully lacking in all respects--especially given their pricetags.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Sometimes it feels like it's all rigged.
It is the entertainment industry after all!
At any rate all good ... now I can go into spring summer without this particular distraction! All the best everyone!
Next year ... Like Lions!!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Toews - F
Schmaltz - F
Panik - B-
Kane - C-
Anisimov - D
Panarin - D
Hartman - F
Kero - A or B+
Kruger - A
Ras - B
Tootoo - B
Keith - C
Hammer - C-
Seabrook - C-
TVR - B+
Campbell - D
Kempny - B
Crawford - B

Those seem about right, although I'd give Panarin a F as well. Hossa, maybe a B.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Grade it by team performance

Regular season - A, 109 pts was completely overachieved with a bunch of rookies and aging vets.

Playoffs - F-, make history by becoming the first 1 seed to ever get swept by an 8 seed and also outscored 13-3. The seeds are misleading as clearly Nashville had a better playoff team with a perfectly executed strategy but to get outscored 13-3 and score 1 measly 5 on 5 goal is beyond dominated. F-, it should have been much more competitive. Wasn't competitive at all.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Over at Faxes From Uncle Dale website..wascexcuse #5769 ...you see apasrently the Hawks had "nothing left in the tank" because they chased the division title (by I guess,over-exertion) in February...So I guess they ought to have eased up even as early as the start of February and coasted just like they did through about the 2nd week of March to the end of the regular season ..I guess more fiasco games like Florida and TB were called for. .yes. .that's the ticket. .Hawks ought to have slacked off much ealier and I guess paced themselves like we were told Toews was doing the last 6 weeks of the regular season. .He started early and look howctgey turned out in playoffs. .Yep nothing left I the tank! OMG how 109% wrong. .No ..Keith Jones and I are correct.they needed to ramp up the intessiry right about that Florida game till the end to be at peak go to war with the "Mo" for playoffs..Tge early slackers stunk..the slackers who delayed till the final 3 weeks also stunk in playoffs..All the slackers stunk.It wasbobvious ...even to kindergartens. .and Q is responsiblevforvtolwratingbthe ease off process down the last 6 weeks and especially down the last 3 weeks of the regular season.

NOTHING LEFT IN THE TANK? yeah go ask Pittsburgh ...no slacking...coulda run and hidden with a no Letang excuse ...have not..They did not clack for the last 3-6 weeks before playoffs. .Seems plenty I the tank. ..Nobody should be buying this stupid idea of an excuse for the Hawks ...that they blew bit in tge February pushbof exclernce and Exertion...Nit gonna buy such a lame excuse...holds no water.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Any grades that don't have Seabrook as a solid F are inaccurate. He was the worst defender on the ice between both teams, if not for Oduya "playing" in this series.

Our biggest, most physical defender, knocked on his ass by Filip Forsberg, when Forsberg had the puck. Pretty much summed up the series for Seabrook. Physically outmatched through and through. I've never seen a guy as big as him, get pushed around or lose as many board battles as he did. He was pathetic.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Seabrook was also our worst defender during the entire regular season

Him and Toews deserve F- and all the scorn they are getting for both regular season and playoff performances

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
We did not even have 1 Harry Zolnerchyk. ...a cheap grunt who busted his ass all series ...defining "want".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad