WC: 2017 Team USA

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Nice uni's, the USA Hockey logo kinda ruins them though. Either go full retro or don't at all.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Highly Highly unlikely.

but the longer the new Quebec City arena remains without a team, the chances of them bidding to host increases. I seriously doubt a Canadian bid would be successful absent some kind of historical milestone event. 2008 was supposedly a 100 Year Anniversary of Hockey in Canada. Funny thing is, we've been celebrating Hockey Centennials for a decade now. It never stops. All things considered, the IIHF would prefer to keep it in Europe, and in exchange Canada gets the WJHC every other year. That's my preference anyway. I like the WHC only as an afternoon warm-up to that evening's NHL playoff game. I'd rather not be channel surfing between 2 NHL playoff games and a WHC Team Canada game from QC.

If Canada bid again I'm sure they would win immediately - the IIHF would love to have more interest from North America. It's not like that many countries bid every year. The "big 4" probably do I guess, but the IIHF would much prefer to put it in places that don't normally host. Such as Paris/Cologne this year, and Copenhagen next year.

But apparently part of the deal for getting the juniors every other year was that they can't bid on the seniors until 2022 or something. Which makes it seem like they don't want to have it in Canada, but I think it's more just not wanting to have every major competition in Canada that often.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
If Canada bid again I'm sure they would win immediately - the IIHF would love to have more interest from North America. It's not like that many countries bid every year. The "big 4" probably do I guess, but the IIHF would much prefer to put it in places that don't normally host. Such as Paris/Cologne this year, and Copenhagen next year.

But apparently part of the deal for getting the juniors every other year was that they can't bid on the seniors until 2022 or something. Which makes it seem like they don't want to have it in Canada, but I think it's more just not wanting to have every major competition in Canada that often.
The Juniors is what's the big deal in Canada, and it's been like this for a long time. The deal that HC has with IIHF makes perfect sense. It's a win-win situation.

lake79

May 5, 2017
Does anyone have any idea, what kind of PP-lines US will have?

Dvorak or Schmaltz on PP2?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The Juniors is what's the big deal in Canada, and it's been like this for a long time. The deal that HC has with IIHF makes perfect sense. It's a win-win situation.

ya, Hockey Canada is not going to sacrifice its cash cow, hosting it less for the opportunity to host senior men's tournament once every decade that may only generate a few million in profit. The World juniors = 20 million profit at minimum.

Keep the senior men's tourney in Europe. It works for me.

anyway...back to the topic at hand...

any news as to whether or not the U.S. will make further additions?

Still hoping for a Canada v USA GMG. The game day thread would be epic.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Team USA seems to **** the bed a lot in their opening game year after year.

They should have easily buried 6+ goals today with all of their chances, but instead they made Greiss look like Hasek, and also missed the net every other shot.

Even though the opening goal shouldn't have been possible (should have been a penalty on Germany because they only got the puck when Trouba had his stick slashed out of his hands), Howard and Lee might as well have put the puck in themselves with their efforts.

If this team doesn't try another blind drop pass the rest of the tournament that'd be great.

Greenway - Compher - Copp was an awful line.

Hanifin was bad.

Full marks to Greiss, he stole that one.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I watched just a few parts, but the US was looking definitely better than in the previous years. Much better pace imo. Better skating, combination, passion, everything.

In all seriousness, I don't think this game really matters that much. Well, I saw someone posted that if the US now loses to RUS and SWE, they could very well play Canada in the QF.....but that's assuming their performance today is an indicator they will lose those two games, which I don't think. This game, being seemingly pretty unlucky for the US - who I am told was clearly the better team - and being it the first game of the tournament, and against the host nation on top of that, doesn't tell me anything about the strenght going forward. I wanna see them against the Russians and Sweden, I think they have what it takes to beat both. Second, even if they lose both games, the US could still finish 3rd instead of 4th, or even better because of course you can't rule it out that Russia or Sweden won't lose any points to the lesser teams, and obviously the games between Germany/Denmark/Latvia/Slovakia might result in who knows what.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Team USA seems to **** the bed a lot in their opening game year after year.

They should have easily buried 6+ goals today with all of their chances, but instead they made Greiss look like Hasek, and also missed the net every other shot.

Even though the opening goal shouldn't have been possible (should have been a penalty on Germany because they only got the puck when Trouba had his stick slashed out of his hands), Howard and Lee might as well have put the puck in themselves with their efforts.

If this team doesn't try another blind drop pass the rest of the tournament that'd be great.

Greenway - Compher - Copp was an awful line.

Hanifin was bad.

Full marks to Greiss, he stole that one.

Was Copp playing C? He's not a good C, better as a W, and fourth line at best.

Rillijuti

May 4, 2013
Code:
	  Lee	
      Gaudreau	
Eichel		Larkin
	Hanifin

Did they really run first powerplay like this?

How was second powerplay? Trouba on left side or blue line? Who else?

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I would try Keller in PP, he has been very good in both games. His second goal today was beaut

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
teams about to be eliminated - looking at rosters not sure we get much help outside of the Rangers losing.

Edmonton offers nothing for us outside of Maroon

Washington offers nothing as we know Carlson and Oshie won't be coming after already playing in the World Cup. Shattenkirk needs a contract and was absolutely snubbed so that's not happening.

St Louis could have Stastny, but not holding my breath.

I don't know if this team fills out its roster and if it does not sure where they get the final two players from-

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
teams about to be eliminated - looking at rosters not sure we get much help outside of the Rangers losing.

Washington offers nothing as we know Carlson and Oshie won't be coming after already playing in the World Cup. Shattenkirk needs a contract and was absolutely snubbed so that's not happening.

I don't know if this team fills out its roster and if it does not sure where they get the final two players from-

Never mind I'm dumb

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

At this point, you might as well bring along someone don't you think? Everyone else has likely stopped playing for the time being if they didn't already join the team, so I doubt you bring someone in cold.

Even if you go way down on the list and bring a couple guys like Sanford or Paul Carey or Kerdiles on board.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think Schmaltz was really big lost for this team. Hope he can play in next game. Also even Keller score one goal today, this team need Dvorak line to be better against top teams. Today first line was only line who create something.

Defense is still big weakness for USA and i dont understand why Dekeyser play big minutes. He was pretty bad today. He fail probably every clear attempt in this game.

I think overall US got many ******** calls today but it is what it is. Howard was actually pretty solid again. Specially in third period where team really needed him to be sharp.

Like i said Schmaltz is much more important player for this team than people thinks. I like Greenway but big ice is big problem for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Eichel was much better today. Moved the puck quickly when he needed to. When he plays simpler hockey like that he's so good.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
A number of iffy calls there by the refs made this game closer than it should've been team spent way too much time shorthanded. But overall very impressed by this crew there still trying to get familiarity with each other but they carried most of the play and kept a ton of pressure on Sweden..very happy with how they are starting to come together. :handclap:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Losing Schmaltz hurt as he's been very effective so far. I'm not surprised a dirty player like Landeskog was the culprit. Overall that was a very good win against the refs and a strong Team Sweden.

I was really impressed how this team, the youngest team in the tournament, kept answering right back every time they gave up a goal. A well deserved win, and a much needed one after giving away the game against Germany.

Hopefully they can build on this one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's good for the Flyers, but it looks a little off that Ghost is staying home while fellow RFA Colton Parayko is playing for Team Canada. And Parayko played 16 more games this season than Ghost did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad