WC: 2017 Team USA

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
There are a lot of poor relationships within players and USA hockey that has been known for a long time.still a lot of players bitter over certain snubs in the way USA hockey has handle their business for the last decade. Always seems like politics at play when it comes to USA hockey but some of the names we are waiting on really don't have those issues with them so still very surprised to not see JVR or Saad here.

The viewership thing does have something to do with it but it is still on NHL network and if they want to get better Viewership or be put on NBC sports they need to get their ass to the tournament and start putting together elite level teams for it will get covered.

When did they move it to the NHL network? I don't have cable anymore so it doesn't matter to me, but that's unfortunate if true.

Guess it doesn't really matter, the time difference is probably the main hurdle to get viewers, not so much the channel. But ya know, USA Hockey could solve that problem by... I don't know.... BIDDING ON THE DAMN THING. They'd probably put it somewhere annoying where nobody wants to go anyway though like Buffalo. Host an event in America to sell to Canadians! Gotta love USA Hockey's complete incompetence at promoting their sport.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
When did they move it to the NHL network? I don't have cable anymore so it doesn't matter to me, but that's unfortunate if true.

Guess it doesn't really matter, the time difference is probably the main hurdle to get viewers, not so much the channel. But ya know, USA Hockey could solve that problem by... I don't know.... BIDDING ON THE DAMN THING. They'd probably put it somewhere annoying where nobody wants to go anyway though like Buffalo. Host an event in America to sell to Canadians! Gotta love USA Hockey's complete incompetence at promoting their sport.
I'm not sure how would that work out. I do want the US to host this tournament, but how? I fail to answer that question. You almost certainly can't put the tournament into an NHL city. Certainly not in the same arena of course. And if the home team makes the playoffs, nobody will give a damn about the worlds. The same applies to AHL cities. I would think you need to put it somewhere where there's no AHL, no NHL teams, but where hockey is relatively popular. My first thoughts are Atlanta and Seattle.

That would be fine, but I wonder how many people would come....

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki

Oh but you know, the evil Europeans don't let the US or Canada bid for this tournament.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Some players from teams like Carolina, Colorado, NJ are spoiled brats. They haven't made playoffs in some time and STILL prefer to take vacation from April till September

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Some players from teams like Carolina, Colorado, NJ are spoiled brats. They haven't made playoffs in some time and STILL prefer to take vacation from April till September

Not really. This year there wasn't many guys from those teams who really have chance to be in this roster. Also Faulk has played many times in this tournament. Johnson and Slavin maybe should be onboard.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

The only American on the Avs that declines is Erik Johnson

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
I don't get how anyone can think that the NHL Network showing the tournament as opposed to NBCSN is a bad thing at all, unless you don't have a package which includes it. For example, the first US game on 5/5 is being played at the same time as NBCSN is showing the Kentucky Oakes as part of it's Derby coverage, that they paid a lot of money for. NBCSN would've had to show this on some type of tape delay, after their Stanley Cup coverage. And other games that might overlap with the Premier League, which is a big ratings and money product for the network, would probably be delayed also. The WC was really a throw away for NBCSN. And they were NEVER going to show any parts of this on the big network. NHL Network is also picking up some non-USA games also, something NBCSN wouldn't do. I remember the medal round games shown only on tape delay, other than streaming on the website. I believe that all US games, probably 3 of the 4 QF, both semis, and both medal round games will be live in the US. Probably the best TV coverage ever for this tournament in the US.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Some people just need to see NBC Sports as the channel to justify watching it personally some of us who have been on here for a decade know how far the tournament has come from not even being televised watching on the Internet to now on the NHL network every game. Sure I would love NBC sports to have these games live but we all know the time issues that brings as well as all the other things going on right now.

It will be a good tournament it will have a decent following and hopefully build momentum for the future

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
NBC Sports Network has shown non-US WC games for years. Some major cable networks like Spectrum/TimeWarner don't have NHL Network available. NBC Sports is available everywhere.

NHL Network even blackouts games after subscribers have paid for Center Ice. When the world juniors are over seas, they don't send analysts. NHL Network called the whole 2013 US WJ Gold Medal run from a studio in New York. All we will see is the TSN feed on NHL Network. NBC would send announcers over for the World Championships.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I don't get how anyone can think that the NHL Network showing the tournament as opposed to NBCSN is a bad thing at all, unless you don't have a package which includes it. For example, the first US game on 5/5 is being played at the same time as NBCSN is showing the Kentucky Oakes as part of it's Derby coverage, that they paid a lot of money for. NBCSN would've had to show this on some type of tape delay, after their Stanley Cup coverage. And other games that might overlap with the Premier League, which is a big ratings and money product for the network, would probably be delayed also. The WC was really a throw away for NBCSN. And they were NEVER going to show any parts of this on the big network. NHL Network is also picking up some non-USA games also, something NBCSN wouldn't do. I remember the medal round games shown only on tape delay, other than streaming on the website. I believe that all US games, probably 3 of the 4 QF, both semis, and both medal round games will be live in the US. Probably the best TV coverage ever for this tournament in the US.

It comes down to two things. NHL network distribution is quite bad. So if you aren't at home it's going to take effort to see. Worst of all is even if you have NHL network they don't offer streaming service.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
So are we going to Assume the final two spots are going to be saved for the next round of playoffs eliminations?
By now the damn team would need to be set, they likely leave either Sunday or Monday no??

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I think Americans least have better goaltending than Canada this year.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - USA Hockey announced today that all Team USA games of the 2017 IIHF Men's World Championship will be televised live across NBCSN and NHL Network, and live streamed on NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app.

The 2017 IIHF Men's World Championship is set for May 5-21 in Cologne, Germany, and Paris, France. Team USA is in Group A with Russia, Sweden, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Denmark and Italy, and will play its preliminary round games at LANXESS Arena in Cologne. Group B, which includes Canada, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Belarus, Norway, France and Slovenia, will contest its preliminary round games at AccorHotels Arena in Paris.

All total, the two networks will combine to televise 29 games in the preliminary round of the tournament as well as all four quarterfinal games, both semifinals, and the bronze- and gold -medal games.

Team USA begins play on Friday, May 5, against host Germany. Opening faceoff is set for 8 p.m. local (2 p.m. ET) live on NHL Network from LANXESS Arena in Cologne."

Cool streaming will be available when games are on NHL Network.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
"COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - USA Hockey announced today that all Team USA games of the 2017 IIHF Men's World Championship will be televised live across NBCSN and NHL Network, and live streamed on NBCSports.com, and the NBC Sports app.

The 2017 IIHF Men's World Championship is set for May 5-21 in Cologne, Germany, and Paris, France. Team USA is in Group A with Russia, Sweden, Slovakia, Germany, Latvia, Denmark and Italy, and will play its preliminary round games at LANXESS Arena in Cologne. Group B, which includes Canada, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Belarus, Norway, France and Slovenia, will contest its preliminary round games at AccorHotels Arena in Paris.

All total, the two networks will combine to televise 29 games in the preliminary round of the tournament as well as all four quarterfinal games, both semifinals, and the bronze- and gold -medal games.

Team USA begins play on Friday, May 5, against host Germany. Opening faceoff is set for 8 p.m. local (2 p.m. ET) live on NHL Network from LANXESS Arena in Cologne."

Cool streaming will be available when games are on NHL Network.

I retract my complaints

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
NBC Sports Network has shown non-US WC games for years. Some major cable networks like Spectrum/TimeWarner don't have NHL Network available. NBC Sports is available everywhere.

NHL Network even blackouts games after subscribers have paid for Center Ice. When the world juniors are over seas, they don't send analysts. NHL Network called the whole 2013 US WJ Gold Medal run from a studio in New York. All we will see is the TSN feed on NHL Network. NBC would send announcers over for the World Championships.
Wow, I don't know what NBCSN you've been watching for the last few years, but they have never shown an non-US game, except perhaps a medal game, and they have NEVER sent a crew there, they have always picked up TSN's coverage and announcers. They sent over mic attachments and had the TSN announcers tape a bumper before the game using those, but otherwise 100% TSN production. NBC spent literally zero dollars, using a fourth tier studio host in the smallest of the studios with a fourth tier analyst, usually Anson Carter. NBC doesn't sent their announcers to any F1 race, except Monaco, Montreal, Austin, and Mexico. And they pay a rights fee for that, unlike the WC, which was highly rumored to be a time-buy by USA hockey. Spectrum/TWC has had it for years where I live, so that statement isn't true, either.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Could the NBCSN/NHL streaming these games have anything to do with the Women's team boycott?

Seemed like one of the biggest parts of their ire was US not marketing them and these tournaments. Maybe the Women's tournament drew in enough viewers to make NBCSN/NHLNetwork take the leap with the WC?

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Wow, I don't know what NBCSN you've been watching for the last few years, but they have never shown an non-US game, except perhaps a medal game, and they have NEVER sent a crew there, they have always picked up TSN's coverage and announcers. They sent over mic attachments and had the TSN announcers tape a bumper before the game using those, but otherwise 100% TSN production. NBC spent literally zero dollars, using a fourth tier studio host in the smallest of the studios with a fourth tier analyst, usually Anson Carter. NBC doesn't sent their announcers to any F1 race, except Monaco, Montreal, Austin, and Mexico. And they pay a rights fee for that, unlike the WC, which was highly rumored to be a time-buy by USA hockey. Spectrum/TWC has had it for years where I live, so that statement isn't true, either.

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ckey-championship-for-sixth-consecutive-year/

You are wrong, I have watched non-US WC games on NBC Sports. NBC Sports coverage of US International play is a country mile ahead of NHL Network. Can even stream games on NHL Network. Channel is a joke.

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ckey-championship-for-sixth-consecutive-year/

You are wrong, I have watched non-US WC games on NBC Sports. NBC Sports coverage of US International play is a country mile ahead of NHL Network. Can even stream games on NHL Network. Channel is a joke.

If you really think that NBC produced their coverage themselves and didn't use TSN's coverage, then you know nothing about hockey coverage on TV. Dennis Bayak and Shane Hnindy (TSN's Jet's team), and Gord Miller and Ray Ferraro (TSN's main team) did PxP last year and the year before. It was TSN's coverage. It always has been. And it will be again this year. And please give dates and games when NBCSN showed a non-US game that wasn't a medal or playoff round game. Your posts are funny. I guess then you don't pay for a TV subscription and you rely on a friend or relative's subscription to stream games using their account. Using mommie and daddies log in on the NBC sports app would allow you to watch. And that's probably how you can watch it this year, luckily for you.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I think Americans least have better goaltending than Canada this year.

That is without question. I wouldnt say Johnson or Pickard are bad though. I trust them in this tournament. Howard and Hellebuyck is probably the best duo of the tournament though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad