WC: 2017 Team USA

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Drunk on World Junior Success, USAHockey goes all out for the WHC in May.

perhaps we'll get a Canada v USA final there. And wouldn't that be terrific.

I'm assuming Calgary/Philly are both make 1st.rd playoff exits.

JOHNNY HOCKEY ® A MATTHEWS B WHEELER
JVR J EICHEL K OKPOSO
B NELSON T JOHNSON K PALMIERI
D LARKIN V TROCHECK P EAVES

M TKACHUK

S GOSTISBEHERE D BYFUGLIEN
J GARDINER J FAULK
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA
K YANDLE

C SCHNEIDER
B BISHOP
C HELLEBUYCK

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
For players that played in the World Cup, 2016-2017 will be a ton of hockey. About 3/4 of those players listed will probably want to rest. The US players that turn down invites will be accused of being selfish and un-American. However the US will still field a team that will compete for a Bronze.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

JVR J EICHEL K OKPOSO

M TKACHUK

J GARDINER J FAULK
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA
K YANDLE

C SCHNEIDER
B BISHOP
C HELLEBUYCK

Every year we think, this is the year! Every year it is the year of Patrick Maroon and Keith Kinkaid.

I've accepted it.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Because USA players unpatriotic?:shakehead:shakehead

The Worlds are essentially irrelevant to Americans. Only the most hardcore hockey fan watches them. If the NHL doesn't go the Olympics I'm terrified of what htese team looks like with no incentive.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I really wouldn't count on anyone that participated earlier in the WCH. I think they're more likely to decline, citing rest or whatever.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Every year we think, this is the year! Every year it is the year of Patrick Maroon and Keith Kinkaid.

I've accepted it.

ya, I know. but it is more fun this way.

I didn't watch any of the World Cup, so not really sure how many players were there, either on the gimmick team or the actual Team USA, aside from the obvious of course, Matthews and Jackie Boy.

I'll do the same as I do for my beloved Team Canada, hope all invited answer in the affirmative...and when they don't, I'll ***** about it then.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia

I didn't watch any of the World Cup, so not really sure how many players were there, either on the gimmick team or the actual Team USA, aside from the obvious of course, Matthews and Jackie Boy.

I'll do the same as I do for my beloved Team Canada, hope all invited answer in the affirmative...and when they don't, I'll ***** about it then.

IIHF Worlds 2016 been more interesting tournament then WCUP:)

Tuoppi

Sep 9, 2016
Pori
Paris and Cologne are attractive places to go on holiday, drinking and hitting on women what North American players have done in recent games.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite annual traditions, seeing the names roll in.

The World Cup was weirdly a success for USA Hockey. I know that sounds asinine considering "Team USA" went three and out and was HORRIBLE. But the Team North America was carried mostly by the American half of the team. Obviously Conor McDavid is a superstar, no question, but after him Matthews, Eichel, Jones, Gotisbehere etc were some of Team NA's best players and showed that the future is bright for American players. That's assuming of course they have a competition to wear the USA sweater in.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Paris and Cologne are attractive places to go on holiday, drinking and hitting on women what North American players have done in recent games.

Considering Canada has won the last two and the Americans have finished 3rd and 4th.... drinking and hitting on women seems to be a better strategy than whatever the Europeans are doing.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Derek Ryan is good guess at this moment.

I've accepted it.

Maroon is on fire. I really like players like him. But yes, i see your point.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Mark Fayne come on down!

That is my barometer - start at Fayne level of player and work your way down until we start asking the kids like Clayton Keller, Brock Boeser, and Colin White to play as well.

These are my expectations and strangely I am comfortable with it as these teams play with heart and a lot of youth.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Mark Fayne come on down!

That is my barometer - start at Fayne level of player and work your way down until we start asking the kids like Clayton Keller, Brock Boeser, and Colin White to play as well.

These are my expectations and strangely I am comfortable with it as these teams play with heart and a lot of youth.

I don't mind Colin white Clayton Keller types. When it starts to get iffy is the career euro and AHL guys

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

JVR J EICHEL K OKPOSO

M TKACHUK

J GARDINER J FAULK
N HANNIFIN J TROUBA
K YANDLE

C SCHNEIDER
B BISHOP
C HELLEBUYCK

Here's my guess based on current teams outside the playoffs.

Trying to be as realistic as possible,

Centers:

Auston Matthews
Tyler Johnson
Vincent Trochek
Colin White
Andrew Copp

Matthews is questionable since he played last year, but I'm taking a risk. I think Eichel has zero chance as he'll want to rest his ankle. Johnson and Trochek are repeat players from four years ago so always unlikely, but I'll be optimistic. Probably will end up being some random Finnish leaguer but I'll take my chances with this pick.

Wings

Kyle Palmieri
Anders Lee
Derek Ryan
Jack Roslovic
Shane Prince
Christian Dvorak
Clayton Keller
Kyle Connor
Matt Nieto

Palmieri is a risk as a WC alum but hopefully six years has made the heart grow fonder. Anders Lee, played three years so probably a reach. Ryan seems like the perfect guy to pick for this team. Played abroad for numerous years, has never played for USA hockey so he might like the Worlds. Shane Prince, seems like an ideal candidate for this team. Worlds rookie. Dvorak seems a likely choice. Young, impressionable. Willing to endure the indentured servitude of a year at the worlds haha. Kyle Connor seems like a ideal impact prospect that we usually get one of each tournament. Nieto is fast and doesn't have any plans for May. Throw in some gold medal world junior fillers.

Defense

Jake Gardiner
Nick Leddy
Jacob Slavin
Noah Hanifin
Anthony DeAngelo
John Moore
Charlie McAvoy

Jake Gardiner, because why not. Maybe he accepts. He'd be a great addition based on this season. Leddy, too often busy winning stanley cups with chicago, he now has the chance to get his first Worlds in. Slavin is having a decent year, hasn't done his time yet. Get it over with son! Come on Noah, return for another go around. You can be the next Jack Johnson, hey wait why are you not answering my calls anymore? I doubt this pick since he did his time, twice, but I can hope. John Moore, welcome back. Please pleas pretty please?

Goalies

Conor Hellebuyck
Keith Kinkaid
Tyler Parsons

Hellebuyck probably won't go, but I'm going to dream someone kidnaps him and smuggles him unwillingly into the Koln arena. Tyler Parsons gets the honorary participation trophy.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
A lot depends on who gets eliminated in round 1 and who misses the playoffs obviously but here's my potential lineup

Gaudreau-Matthews-Tyler Johnson
Saad-Eichel-Trocheck
Tkachuk-JT Miller-Labanc
Keller-White-Eaves
Boeser

Gardiner-Faulk
Hanifin-Wideman
Goligoski-Clendening
McAvoy

Hellebuyck
Zatkoff

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Like some of the earlier posters, I am irrationally attached to this tournament. Part of what I love about how USA hockey approaches the tourney is giving some deserving guys who would likely never have the opportunity to wear the USA jersey a chance to do so, Maroon being a great example. They also give young guys a chance, which allows us to see emerging players we may not be overly familiar with, guys like Hinostroza and Skjei last year. Hope we put together a good group, as I'll be attending two US games in Cologne, a Germany game, Russia game and then swinging over to Paris to see France play and catch Canada-Norway.
On a different point, I anticipate we will get folks questioning the patriotism of our guys for turning down the opportunity to play. I look at it a different way. I've coached a few Tier I Midget teams. The travel, games, practice and pressure take an incredible toll over a full season at that level. I look at what those kids go through and I can't even imagine what a professional player feels like after an 80 game season. I tip my hat to any NHL, AHL, KHL or NCAA player that commits to do this after a full season.
Anyway, 2 great venues, great hockey, great beer and the chance to meet hockey fans from around the world. Should be a blast.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
A lot depends on who gets eliminated in round 1 and who misses the playoffs obviously but here's my potential lineup

Gaudreau-Matthews-Tyler Johnson
Saad-Eichel-Trocheck
Tkachuk-JT Miller-Labanc
Keller-White-Eaves
Boeser

Gardiner-Faulk
Hanifin-Wideman
Goligoski-Clendening
McAvoy

Hellebuyck
Zatkoff

That lineup would be sweet. Giligoski probably wouldn't go. Don't see JT Miller going either. Might see Woll, Parsons or Oettinger as one of the other netminders picked.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Considering Canada has won the last two and the Americans have finished 3rd and 4th.... drinking and hitting on women seems to be a better strategy than whatever the Europeans are doing.

:laugh: indeed!!

Time to sharpen your womanizing and boozing skills up Europeans.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorite annual traditions, seeing the names roll in.

The World Cup was weirdly a success for USA Hockey. I know that sounds asinine considering "Team USA" went three and out and was HORRIBLE. But the Team North America was carried mostly by the American half of the team. Obviously Conor McDavid is a superstar, no question, but after him Matthews, Eichel, Jones, Gotisbehere etc were some of Team NA's best players and showed that the future is bright for American players. That's assuming of course they have a competition to wear the USA sweater in.

Didn't think either of those two players had much of a tournament at all. Jones I hardly noticed and Eichel I pretty much only noticed in a bad way, I thought Eich was very subpar that tournament, he looked way out of step to me and was a dissapointment.

Gaudreau and Matthews were great though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad