2017 Hot Seat

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not saying they were but they were "up and coming" types. I don't think Butch is cut out for this level of coaching. He recruits well but his offense and in game tactics are baffling. Bielema is a good coach but stuck at a school that will never be a football power. Plus he's a dick and hard to work for.

I agree that Bielema is a good coach but I don't think the difference between him and the next guy is worth signing him to a buyout number that prevents you from firing him in the future.

Just off the top of my head- Butch, Rich Rod, Graham, Brian Kelly, Sumlin, Bielema, Coach O- how many of those guys kept their job last year or will keep their job this year because of buyouts? None of those guys were such a "need to get hire" that they should be preventing schools from firing them because of the buyout.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Brian Kelly will keep his job because N.D. is pretty good and they've got a strong recruiting class. Sumlin is 50/50. Bielema could be fired. Rich Rod is safe. Todd Graham is gone. O is safe because LSU is broke.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Brian Kelly will keep his job because N.D. is pretty good and they've got a strong recruiting class. Sumlin is 50/50. Bielema could be fired. Rich Rod is safe. Todd Graham is gone. O is safe because LSU is broke.

Maybe this year for Kelly (which I think is a mistake unless ND is admiting they are no longer a big school) but last year if the payout would have been zero do you think they would have brought Kelly back with his record and personality?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I think so. Notre Dame is a tough job. He's done pretty well there. He's a jerk though so if he has back to back losing seasons they'll cut bait. What's interesting to me is that Bob Stoops and Chip Kelly are both available. These are certified program builders and bring instant credibility. If Bob or Chip express any interest in say..UCLA or Texas A&M or Tennessee you'd have to think those schools will eat the buyout because they will be getting massive upgrades.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Losing to the Jets, trading away a shot at Carson Wentz and being 1-20 since joining the Browns. When does Paul DePodesta take Moneyball back to the diamond?

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009
After that clock management, Jason Garrett ( or the Offensive Coordinator) is certainly a candidate.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
DLt43qtVAAEp4wR.jpg:large

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
San Jose St's new coach was the WR coach at Oregon St last year. It's going to be a LONG time before San Jose St. is even a decent Mountain West team. Wonder if he would have been the interim guy there?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Meanwhile, Wisconsin seems to be doing fine with their academic standards.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Paying assistants has been a brought up issue at Wisconsin as well. Chryst is a Wisconsin guy having played & coached there before taking the job so I guess he’s willing to deal with those issues more than the previous coaches did.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Paying assistants has been a brought up issue at Wisconsin as well. Chryst is a Wisconsin guy having played & coached there before taking the job so I guess he’s willing to deal with those issues more than the previous coaches did.

Current coordinators are Wisconsin alumni currently. Joe Rudolph associate head coach/offensive coordinator/offensive line coach and Jim Leonhard as defensive coordinator. They might move on to a head coaching job if they're offered at some point but it helps to have people who know Wisconsin and went to Wisconsin. Especially Leonhard who was raised in Wisconsin and grew up a Badger fan. Not to say Rudolph isn't a Badger fan but he's from the Philadelphia area iirc so if a head coaching job ever opened at Temple or something, he might be tempted to take that if offered.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
McAdoo seat is getting hotter

Hue Jackson needs to start worrying as his team is showing zero improvement

McAdoo might just be ok. I mean he hasn't had a fully healthy OBJ, and now his top two receivers are out for the year and another one is hurt. The running game sucks, thanks to Reese who didn't bother trying to improve it. I think Mac might make it out alive after this season.

Arians set has to be warming up nicely.

2-3 record for the Cards is certainly flattering.

2-3 is pretty good when your top player is injured and you have the oldest roster in the league, while also losing one of your top defensive players (Calais).... and in that division. Besides, I think Arians was planning to retire after 2017 anyhow.

Losing to the Jets, trading away a shot at Carson Wentz and being 1-20 since joining the Browns. When does Paul DePodesta take Moneyball back to the diamond?

Umm... DePodesta didn't make the decision to trade that pick..... he doesn't call the shots, he's an assistant GM.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
John Fox is 10-27 with .270 winning pct and criticism continues to mount in Chicago with regard to his awful in game coaching and lack of anything resembling improvement from club under his reign

That is the worst winning pct of a Bears HC in franchise history. How does Fox compare to post Halas era coaches

Marc Trestman = .406 (13-19 record)
Lovie Smith = .563 (81-63 record)
Dick Jauron = .438 (35-45 record)
Dave Wannstadt = .417 (40-56 record)
Mike Ditka = .631 (106-62 record)
Neil Armstrong = .469 (30-34 record)
Jack Pardee = .476 (20-22 record)
Abe Gibson = .274 (11-30-1 record)
Jim Dooley = .357 (20-36 record)

Gibson and Dooley coached era in which Bears were absolute dumpster fire.. The Fox era has been comparable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad