2017 Hot Seat

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
John Fox now 10-26 with .278 winning percentage as Bears HC

Team is not improved in year 3 and he is actively sabotaging team at this point with his support of Glennon

That Steelers win probably saved him from being canned after the GB loss IMO. At this point, there is no reason for the to be playing Glennon, unless Mitch just doesn't look at all ready. If preseason showed us anything, that's not the case.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is Fox really on the hot seat right this minute? Chicago came in to this season with no expectations. Seems like one of those situations where the coach will almost certainly be fired after the season, but not likely during the season.

How warm is Ed Orgeron's seat? Or is that buyout simply too large for the boosters to pull the pin this early?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Orgeron not only has a $12M buyout for this year but LSU is already paying Miles $9M this year for his buyout.

Orgeron’s buyout goes down to $8.5M for next year. So I think it’s safe to say they’re stuck with the guy for a bit here.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Time to add Hue Jackson and his staff to the list. The Browns drafted a bunch of guys and spent a lot in free agency, and they are no better than last year. Four losses now, with the last two being ugly losses to pretty bad teams.

Hue Jackson is doing double duty as head coach and offensive coordinator, and his offense looks bad. Kenny Britt is killing them with drops, bad routes, falling down, and penalties, yet Jackson seems to make Britt the first option on 80% of pass plays.

Gregg Williams brings a lot of yelling and screaming to the sideline, but his defense is awful. He blitzes way too much, and his blitzes aren’t yielding anything but big gains against them. He also has this stupid scheme where he has his free safety lining up 25 yards back, which means the Browns are defending the majority of plays with only ten players.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
4 TD's for a garbage rookie in Watson???

Lebeau should be on the hot seat in Tennessee for todays game alone.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Orgeron not only has a $12M buyout for this year but LSU is already paying Miles $9M this year for his buyout.

Orgeron’s buyout goes down to $8.5M for next year. So I think it’s safe to say they’re stuck with the guy for a bit here.

Somehow Bielema’s is $15M & Butch’s is $9M.

I think Butch still goes but that buyout might be enough to keep Bielema around another year.

I just don't get how these coaches get these insane buy-out clauses, Miles maybe since he had some success but Bielema and Jones? What leverage do they have to negotiate them? What's the worst thing that happens Tennessee and Arkansas have to hire someone else? It isn't like Jones or Bielema are some sort of hotshot or great coaches that you really need to get for your program.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The way they ran Miles out of there, they deserve it.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
They were when they were hired.

Jones and Bielema were great coaches when hired?

Bielema maybe but Anderson and Chryst (definietly) have both had better records at the same school since him. So I can't think he was a real great coach.

Jones doesn't seem to have that impressive of a record prior to Tennessee but perhaps I am just misrembering his time in Cincinatti.

I am not saying they were bad coaches, just not guys you had to have or needed to have huge buyouts.

Sep 19, 2008
Bielsma more of an argument for being good than Jones. Bielsma did his stunt at Wisconsin.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Not saying they were but they were "up and coming" types. I don't think Butch is cut out for this level of coaching. He recruits well but his offense and in game tactics are baffling. Bielema is a good coach but stuck at a school that will never be a football power. Plus he's a dick and hard to work for.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Depends if boosters really want the guy gone. I could be wrong, but I think thats how Texas finally got rid of Strong (not that they couldn't afford it, just booster pushed them to do it and may have helped pay)

Time to add Hue Jackson and his staff to the list. The Browns drafted a bunch of guys and spent a lot in free agency, and they are no better than last year. Four losses now, with the last two being ugly losses to pretty bad teams.

Hue Jackson is doing double duty as head coach and offensive coordinator, and his offense looks bad. Kenny Britt is killing them with drops, bad routes, falling down, and penalties, yet Jackson seems to make Britt the first option on 80% of pass plays.

I believe when Haslem hired him, he was willing to give him 5 years to rebuild the team. He has hired and fired too many coaches in his short time as owner and I think he realized you will never start winning like that.

I think NEXT year is when the heat might be on, but you gotta remember Coleman and Garett haven't played a lot, and they cut one of their best defensive players.

I think I remember reading that Lovie Smith at Illinois has a $19M buyout. Seriously...

Really??!! I would understand if Saban or Meyer had a buyout that big but Lovie wasn't a very sought after candidate when they hired him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad