2017 Hot Seat

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure, his schemes don't seem congruent, but he's had a 1st round pick for 6 quarters and just had a whole game missing two linemen and three tight ends. Not sure what you expected tonight, it's not like the Bengals defense is bad either.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm not sure, his schemes don't seem congruent, but he's had a 1st round pick for 6 quarters and just had a whole game missing two linemen and three tight ends. Not sure what you expected tonight, it's not like the Bengals defense is bad either.

It goes a lot further than tonight.

The fact that his options for QB are Tom Savage and a 1st round pick in his 2nd game would be very concerning to me as well from a guy again that is supposed to be a QB whisperer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It goes a lot further than tonight.

The fact that his options for QB are Tom Savage and a 1st round pick in his 2nd game would be very concerning to me as well from a guy again that is supposed to be a QB whisperer.

Watson being a 1st round pick in his second game isn't a bad thing, though. You're developing a QB, and at some point he's got to make his first start, and this is Week 2. And in 2017, first round picks should be starting anyways. It should be more concerning that Savage was the starter to begin with, and given that he made this switch, I'm not convinced he didn't want Watson to start the season anyways.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's a bad thing when he was as terrible as he was out there. All he could do was throw passes to Hopkins and hope the refs would allow Hopkins to keep pushing off guys to make the catch.

Watson may have potential for the future but right now he is a bad QB and with the defense they have they shouldn't be relying on bad QBs.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Savage is worse. Much worse. Hopkins is his only target. Braxton Miller is trash, no Fiedorwicsz(who is a reliable target), Will Fuller hurt. Watson played well given the circumstances. They had one practice to prepare.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Lewis should've been canned long ago. How can you keep a coach who is 0-7 in the freaking playoffs? At some point he needed to take the next step, and just didn't. That Cincy team is an absolute mess right now, I'd genuinely fire him now just to see if it sends a shock through the locker room in an attempt to save their season.

In regards to O'Brien, I'm a Patriots guy, and I never liked him. I didn't think he was a great OC when he was with the team. To be fair to him though, the team has never given him a QB that wasn't total trash to work with. Seriously, look at this list:

Keenum, Yates, Mallett, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Weeden, Osweiler, Savage, Watson.

When the best of that list is one of Hoyer or Fitzpatrick, you're going to struggle, no matter how good of a coach you might be.

That being said, his problem is that he doesn't stick with guys.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
In regards to O'Brien, I'm a Patriots guy, and I never liked him. I didn't think he was a great OC when he was with the team. To be fair to him though, the team has never given him a QB that wasn't total trash to work with. Seriously, look at this list:

Keenum, Yates, Mallett, Hoyer, Fitzpatrick, Weeden, Osweiler, Savage, Watson.

When the best of that list is one of Hoyer or Fitzpatrick, you're going to struggle, no matter how good of a coach you might be.

That being said, his problem is that he doesn't stick with guys.

Sure the group has been pretty terrible but you have to think that he had something to do with bringing in some of those guys. Especially Hoyer and Mallett who he had experience with at NE and Osweiler who with the money they spent I can't imagine he wasn't consulted on.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Sure the group has been pretty terrible but you have to think that he had something to do with bringing in some of those guys. Especially Hoyer and Mallett who he had experience with at NE and Osweiler who with the money they spent I can't imagine he wasn't consulted on.

Oh 100%, I'm not giving him a pass, especially on Osweiler, that had disaster written all over it.

The biggest mistake he made was going away from Hoyer so quickly. Yeah he had that absolutely disasterous playoff game to end the year, but he was by far and away their best option at QB that season, and was benched after 3 quarters in the opener, for Mallett, eventually playing again, only to be benched for the lieks of TJ freaking Yates and Brandon Weeden.

That is where O'Brien has failed as a coach.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I would put Bill O'Brien right there with him.

A supposed offensive guy and QB "whisperer" and his offenses haven't not only not been good but have prevented his teams from being a contender.

He can point to all the injuries but how many different QB's is this expert going to run through before people realize he is a fraud?

Whenever teams figure out to stop hiring New England coordinators.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sean Payton has had a shocking decline from grace. He used to lead good teams. They got Brees up in there yet they ain't made no playoffs in forever man. He has to answer the call this year

Not his fault Loomis has been horrible at salary cap management and had to cut a lot of the teams good players, or let them hit free agency. (in the last 3 years).

Many have said he has been carried by Brees and really isn't that good a coach

Will be interesting to see how he does in 2nd stint as HC

... source?

Payton is in NO until Brees retires or leaves IMO, unless he himself wants to leave earlier. Brees is just under 6,000 yards from being the leader in passing yards and I can't see him retiring before then.

I would put Bill O'Brien right there with him.

A supposed offensive guy and QB "whisperer" and his offenses haven't not only not been good but have prevented his teams from being a contender.

He can point to all the injuries but how many different QB's is this expert going to run through before people realize he is a fraud?

He made the playoffs two years in a row, has gone 9-7 every year and thats with a mixed bag of journeyman and unproven quarterbacks leading the way. IMO he's safe, even if they miss the playoffs next year. If anything their GM Rick Smith would get the boot.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Loomis has been poor at drafting. That's why he had to sign free agents that also often busted, because that's what free agents do. There's nobody they've lost in free agency or were forced to trade that they really kick themselves about. Not even Jimmy Graham.

Brandon Cooks and Kenny Stills are two guys that had nothing to do salary cap or free agency. Sean Payton (and by extension Drew Brees) simply decided that he didn't like them anymore.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Todd Graham is done, just lost to Texas Tech to drop to 1-2.

Next-Oregon, Stanford, Washington, Colorado, Utah, USC, UCLA.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Bears also have no takeaways thus far on year which is not good given the pathetic performance of team in last 2 years

17 takeaways in 2015
11 takeaways in 2016 (NFL record low)

Fox should be fired ASAP

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Nebraska might fire a coach the same year he gets an extension for the second time. One cupcake beat them and the other came close. They've got 3 ranked opponents left on the schedule so you have to figure 7-5 is their ceiling.

The Nebraskholes will be calling for Reilly's head with that record. Any worse and it will get uglier than a Nebraska cheerleader.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't understand why Bears fans are so eager to throw Mitch into the fire.

This season is literally meaningless. No legitimate WR's to throw to, busted up offensive lines, a defense that couldn't stop a peewee team. He still only faced 2nd/3rd stringers in preseason.

For all you know he's another Goff waiting to happen (as in year 1 Goff)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand why Bears fans are so eager to throw Mitch into the fire.

This season is literally meaningless. No legitimate WR's to throw to, busted up offensive lines, a defense that couldn't stop a peewee team. He still only faced 2nd/3rd stringers in preseason.

For all you know he's another Goff waiting to happen (as in year 1 Goff)

Getting him into some mop-up duty wouldn't have hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad