Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Would any of these 3 waive their nmc for a trade? Perry and Kes need retention. Getz, think he’s good enough to avoid it being a center and productive.

Between la and Anaheim, ducks have better young talent but are held back by nmc to their big 3 aging forwards. La, lacks young talent but if they sold their core who have no trade protection they could really restock the cupboards.

I could easily see Kesler waive his. If this team starts taking a step back and rebuilding a bit, he's not gonna want to be around, he wants to win now. But finding a fit is a whole different thing and obviously wouldn't be happening this off-season when his values at its lowest.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Would any of these 3 waive their nmc for a trade? Perry and Kes need retention. Getz, think he’s good enough to avoid it being a center and productive.

Between la and Anaheim, ducks have better young talent but are held back by nmc to their big 3 aging forwards. La, lacks young talent but if they sold their core who have no trade protection they could really restock the cupboards.
Yep, Anaheim sure is being held back by their #1 center who is producing better then a PPG.

Reactions: Boogernaut

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The big question now is which Kesler shows up next year? Does he return to 100% while another year older, or are we seeing the new, 100%, Kesler now? He can still be a valuable contributor if he returns to form next year. But IMO, that's far from a given and I fear he won't. I think it's time to bite the bullet and start moving in another direction where the system relies more on youth and speed. It doesn't mean that Getz, Perry, and Kes can't contribute, it just means they will have to do so in a different system/environment. We cannot continue to expect the team to revolve around them. This team needs to be handed over to Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, and Gibson. They need to do the leading from here on.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'd rather not give Perry away without anyone who is actually better to replace him. A 50-60 pt RW isn't the worst thing in the world.

Obviously it depends on what you're trading him for, but if you can deal him and take little to no money back, then you have to do it IMO. I agree that losing a 50-60 pt player hurts, but you could use the money elsewhere if need be, and it'd be the shakeup the core needs. I love Pears, and he'll forever be a top 5 Duck for me, but if you can move him without taking any money back, you have to do it IMO.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yep, Anaheim sure is being held back by their #1 center who is producing better then a PPG.
I would expect them to keep Getz, but this team needs something. More likely to move the other two. Only move Getz if they all go. He wouldn’t be the only guy to go.

With perry, it’s more the style of play and discipline. He’s no longer the guy who can make up for his poor decisions.

They should remove the A from kes and perry and give them to Manson and Fowler for example to change things up if no major moves are made.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Fowler with an A? No thanks

Manson would be a good one

What's wrong with Fowler having an "A"? Aside from Beauchemin, Fowler seems to be the most consistent defenseman talking guys up on the bench. I'm not saying he needs to have a letter, but I don't see the reason Manson should have one over him.

C - Cogliano
A- Getzlaf

Not sure on the 2nd "A". No one really jumps out as someone who deserves a letter. Beauchemin does, but obviously he's retiring.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
What's wrong with Fowler having an "A"? Aside from Beauchemin, Fowler seems to be the most consistent defenseman talking guys up on the bench. I'm not saying he needs to have a letter, but I don't see the reason Manson should have one over him.

C - Cogliano
A- Getzlaf

Not sure on the 2nd "A". No one really jumps out as someone who deserves a letter. Beauchemin does, but obviously he's retiring.
Chimera after his 3 year extension

Reactions: Duck Off

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The big question now is which Kesler shows up next year? Does he return to 100% while another year older, or are we seeing the new, 100%, Kesler now? He can still be a valuable contributor if he returns to form next year. But IMO, that's far from a given and I fear he won't. I think it's time to bite the bullet and start moving in another direction where the system relies more on youth and speed. It doesn't mean that Getz, Perry, and Kes can't contribute, it just means they will have to do so in a different system/environment. We cannot continue to expect the team to revolve around them. This team needs to be handed over to Fowler, Lindholm, Rakell, and Gibson. They need to do the leading from here on.
I think we have to give Kesler one more year to see where he's at. He'll be able to do a normal rehab over the summer, and build up his fitness and his skating in the proper way. He rushed himself back this season. You're right that the game is moving more to a speed/skating game, but Kesler at his best (or normal self) is a very good skater. It's one of the benchmarks of his game in addition to being hard to play against.

Now if he looks significantly slower again next year, then by all means you have to look at other options. Don't think you will gain anything by buying him out. Just maybe have to accept that you'll have a halfway decent 3C making way too much money.

Reactions: duckpuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think we have to give Kesler one more year to see where he's at. He'll be able to do a normal rehab over the summer, and build up his fitness and his skating in the proper way. He rushed himself back this season. You're right that the game is moving more to a speed/skating game, but Kesler at his best (or normal self) is a very good skater. It's one of the benchmarks of his game in addition to being hard to play against.

Now if he looks significantly slower again next year, then by all means you have to look at other options. Don't think you will gain anything by buying him out. Just maybe have to accept that you'll have a halfway decent 3C making way too much money.
I never suggested buying him out. We would never do that with so much money still owed. Just pointing out that how he comes back next year could be a big deal to us. Not that we can do anything about it though.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I never suggested buying him out. We would never do that with so much money still owed. Just pointing out that how he comes back next year could be a big deal to us. Not that we can do anything about it though.
I know. My comment about buying him out wasn't a direct response to your post. That was just me commenting on other options, and buying him out is one I've seen mentioned by several people on here.

Reactions: Johnny Caravella

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Taking the C away from Getz is asinine. Cogs is a hard worker, but to be a leader- or in this case a Captain, I feel like productivity needs to match leadership.

Reactions: duckpuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Taking the C away from Getz is asinine. Cogs is a hard worker, but to be a leader- or in this case a Captain, I feel like productivity needs to match leadership.
Cogs wouldn't be the guy to get the C in that scenario. I think they'd give it to Kesler. I don't want to see it happen, and don't think it solves anything, but I can definitely envision a scenario where it happens

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know. My comment about buying him out wasn't a direct response to your post. That was just me commenting on other options, and buying him out is one I've seen mentioned by several people on here.
That’s where it is vital for steel to come in and take the 2nd line C spot and carry more offense from Kessler.

Getz gets the top checker from opposing team while kes takes the top offensive threat. Leaves steel against the 2nd offensive line and or 4th line. So, good matchups for him to produce.

Points for kesler might top out in the high 40’s, like his first season with Anaheim.

Hard to trade him given the season he just came off. He’ll need to rehab properly to get back to form for a guy his age. He’s the most likely to accept a deal out because he still burns to win a cup. Perry has his and has been in Anaheim for 13 years. So he’s unlikely to waive.

Since missing the 2012 PO. This team has gone out in Rd 1 in 2013, Rd 2 in 2014, Rd 3 in 2015, Rd 1 in 2016, Rd 3 in 2017, and now down 3-0 in 2018 in opening round. Likely 3 first round defeats while being the higher seed.

See what Murray can do to shake up the roster. I don’t think a new coach should be the only solution. Need to make a trade to change up the forward group.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Stripping the C from Getz would be a lot like with Jumbo Joe. It will cause heating discussions and arguments and shouldn't be done lightly. But I think it would tie in nicely with a new coach, a new culture, and a change of direction as far as the kind of game the team plays. Taking the C would not be done as a criticism (although the argument will always be there) or punishment but rather as part of an acknowledgement that it is now a new team with a new plan moving forward. And I agree that like with Jumbo, Getz may well perform better on the ice without that C.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Stripping the C from Getz would be a lot like with Jumbo Joe. It will cause heating discussions and arguments and shouldn't be done lightly. But I think it would tie in nicely with a new coach, a new culture, and a change of direction as far as the kind of game the team plays. Taking the C would not be done as a criticism (although the argument will always be there) or punishment but rather as part of an acknowledgement that it is now a new team with a new plan moving forward. And I agree that like with Jumbo, Getz may well perform better on the ice without that C.
The trouble is we don't have a Pavelski to give the C to. Pavelski was in his prime (star player) when he got the C and seems to be a pretty good leader. Kesler and Perry are too old/unproductive, Cogs isn't a star, it'd be awkward to give it to a young guy like Fowler/Rakell/Lindholm. The Kings had Kopitar to give the C to when they stripped it from Brown. He's one of the best centers in the league and in his prime.

You only give the C to someone else if you feel really strongly that another guy in the room is going to be better at it, and I'm not sure we have that guy

Reactions: Goose of Reason

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
The trouble is we don't have a Pavelski to give the C to. Pavelski was in his prime (star player) when he got the C and seems to be a pretty good leader. Kesler and Perry are too old/unproductive, Cogs isn't a star, it'd be awkward to give it to a young guy like Fowler/Rakell/Lindholm. The Kings had Kopitar to give the C to when they stripped it from Brown. He's one of the best centers in the league and in his prime.

You only give the C to someone else if you feel really strongly that another guy in the room is going to be better at it, and I'm not sure we have that guy
Was going to say the same thing. We don’t have anyone similar to Pavelski. Rakell would be a player in that mold as far as age and talent, but he’s not a guy who’s viewed as a leader.

Fowler would be the only one you could logically give it to. He’s a veteran, has more seniority on the team than anyone other than Getz and Perry, is a minutes leader, and is good with the media. I would disagree that he’s a “young guy.” He’s going to be 27 and it will be his 9th season in the league. Not advocating that he be the C next season, but if you were looking to make a change, there aren’t that many reasons that go against him on the surface.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Problem is with Fowler is that he’s a bit of a mental midget and has serious confidence issues at times. Do you want to add the C responsibilities to him when we need him to focus on his own game and be more consistent?

I don’t see a suitable replacement on the roster right now. I really wish Koivu got the C years ago when they had that vote so they could have groomed Getzy a little longer.

Edit: if they absolutely had to strip Getzlaf of it the only guy I would feel comfortable with giving it to would be Cogliano. And as it was mentioned before he doesn’t really have the production of a captain.

WinJiggysLoft

Feb 11, 2018
We don’t need to strip Getzlafs C. Before this series we were all praising him for quietly having one of the best seasons of his career, if not for his injuries. He still has clearly earned the right to captain this team

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

C - Cogliano
A- Getzlaf

I actually have seen hampus being a lot more vocal this season, between faceoffs and on the bench.... he always seems to improve upon the things he gets most criticized on. I would give a letter the lindholm... hes arguably our best player, and 1 of if not the hardest workers on the team(not saying he needs a C but I don't mind giving him an A) . But hopefully everything goes to plan and Sam Steel can become our future captain.... I really like his attitude/character and hope he can be a more calming captain then our hyper aggressive leaders we currently have.

Only reason I could see manson over fowler, is manson never has confidence issues.. and he sticks up for his teammates.... fowler sticking up for a teammate id feel more comfortable throwing a wet noodle at the guy.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

I hear ya but I do think Cogs would be perfect particularly because he isn't counted on to carry the team on the ice. I've never believed that being high paid or high scoring qualifies one to wear a C although some of those guys do fine with it. Cogs to me is the kind of glue Scotty was, without the obvious on ice talent. Cogs is a leader, Getz is a workhorse. I think it could benefit the team as well as unburden Getz.

I would agree that Cam is already too much of a head case to burden him with it.

Oct 18, 2011
If you take the C off Getzy it has to go to the next wave of ducks that's why the sharks made the change, to signal a turnover coming up.

But it really doesn't do any good we have much bigger problems to deal with. Leadership does not fix our idiotic system or depth.

Getzlaf is not having a good series but there are reasons for it. He had his highest TOI in 6 years. He's got to start coming down to the 18 minute range with no PK responsibilities. He is still very good but the organization has done a shitty job of protecting him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad