Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Depending upon when Seattle enters the league (19-20? 20-21?) the Ducks are already likely to have a problem protecting D. They shouldn’t be looking for long term top 4 D in trades.

The big question is whether they'll even be able to protect a guy like Mahura from the new expansion. Everybody else in our current system would be free game in a Seattle expansion draft. It's really starting to look like there's a need to start re-building some of that defensive depth via drafting, to prepare for the inevitable. We were "lucky" to dodge the bullet in the Vegas expansion, but there's no way they'll be able to dodge another one.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Ugh i forgot about another expansion :( that would kill us most likely.

According to last seasons rules wed have to protect lindholm fowler manson and by then montour.

Forwards. Kesler getz perry rakell silfverberg ritchie and kase would all have to be protected too :/

Guess we could go 6 3 1 and pay to protect our other dmen, and left over forward
It was 7 3 1 in the Vegas draft or 8 any skaters of any kind + 1 goalie.
I suspect they send a prospect + pick to make Seattle not pick Manson.

This is reason enough for the Ducks to Not have Steel, Jones & Mahura appear in the NHL next season, keep them in the AHL. Then in 19-20 season they let them debut & they'll finish with only 1 year pro & exempt from the draft just like how Theodore & Montour were exempt from Vegas except that Theodore was traded away to Vegas.

Also what kind of players will Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler be like leading up to the 2020 expansion draft ? 1 of them might decline to the point their asked to waive their NMC.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It was 7 3 1 in the Vegas draft or 8 any skaters of any kind + 1 goalie.
I suspect they send a prospect + pick to make Seattle not pick Manson.

This is reason enough for the Ducks to Not have Steel, Jones & Mahura appear in the NHL next season, keep them in the AHL. Then in 19-20 season they let them debut & they'll finish with only 1 year pro & exempt from the draft just like how Theodore & Montour were exempt from Vegas except that Theodore was traded away to Vegas.

Also what kind of players will Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler be like leading up to the 2020 expansion draft ? 1 of them might decline to the point their asked to waive their NMC.
Oh ya my mistake it was 7-3-1
Wont steel jones and mahura be exempt anyway? Isnt it 3 pro years needed to qualify for expansion draft?

and cough cough perry and possibly kesler

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The big question is whether they'll even be able to protect a guy like Mahura from the new expansion. Everybody else in our current system would be free game in a Seattle expansion draft. It's really starting to look like there's a need to start re-building some of that defensive depth via drafting, to prepare for the inevitable. We were "lucky" to dodge the bullet in the Vegas expansion, but there's no way they'll be able to dodge another one.

Yeah, our D is a major concern relative to a Seattle expansion. It looks like there are some very competent people now associated with the arena renovation and potential ownership. The only real question is how quickly can/will it all come together.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Yeah, our D is a major concern relative to a Seattle expansion. It looks like there are some very competent people now associated with the arena renovation and potential ownership. The only real question is how quickly can/will it all come together.

I found this article, which states that the Seattle arena renovation should be done by October 2020 -- right on time for the start of the 20-21 season. Sports Illustrated has also published similar info, so it seems like the reported timeline may be legit. It'd mean that our non-overage '16 and '17 draft picks would be safe, but everyone else would be fair game. It'd also mean that the Getz/Perry/Kesler NMCs will come to haunt us during expansion time.

These Seattle people truly aren't ****ing around. They're spending $600-660 million into an arena renovation, plus the rumored expansion "buy-in" fee could be as high as $650 million. With an investment of that magnitude, Bettman will make damn sure that team is ready to compete since day one, which will unfortunately mean very poor negotiation terms for other teams for the upcoming expansion draft. Wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a 5-3-1 protection scheme.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I found this article, which states that the Seattle arena renovation should be done by October 2020 -- right on time for the start of the 20-21 season. Sports Illustrated has also published similar info, so it seems like the reported timeline may be legit.

These Seattle people truly aren't ****ing around. They're spending $600-660 million into an arena renovation, plus the rumored expansion "buy-in" fee could be as high as $650 million. With an investment of that magnitude, Bettman will make damn sure that team is ready to compete since day one, which will unfortunately mean very poor negotiation terms for other teams for the upcoming expansion draft. Wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a 5-3-1 protection scheme.

I agree with you except for the protection. When the bickering gets done I would expect the protection to be pretty much the same as it was for Vegas. Given how well Vegas has done, teams won't stand for giving up any more than they just did for Vegas. Seattle might be given some draft pick sweeteners by the league or something else that might be financially creative. But even using the previous guidelines, the Ducks could be in a world of hurt.

And I wouldn't count on a Perry or Kesler waiving anything, especially if their play drops offs by then.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
I found this article, which states that the Seattle arena renovation should be done by October 2020 -- right on time for the start of the 20-21 season. Sports Illustrated has also published similar info, so it seems like the reported timeline may be legit. It'd mean that our non-overage '16 and '17 draft picks would be safe, but everyone else would be fair game. It'd also mean that the Getz/Perry/Kesler NMCs will come to haunt us during expansion time.

It's early to be talking expansion moves already but if this in fact ends up being the season Seattle enters the league, the Ducks could always opt to buy out Perry's last year or threaten a buyout if he doesn't agree to waive his NMC. Same for Getzlaf, alhough I suspect he will still be producing enough at that point to justify protecting him anyway.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
It's early to be talking expansion moves already but if this in fact ends up being the season Seattle enters the league, the Ducks could always opt to buy out Perry's last year or threaten a buyout if he doesn't agree to waive his NMC. Same for Getzlaf, alhough I suspect he will still be producing enough at that point to justify protecting him anyway.

I dont think it is wise to say that. We all thought that about Bieksa and Murray wouldnt even do it to him. I doubt he is gonna do that to Perry who is a for Hart winning lifer.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Oh ya my mistake it was 7-3-1
Wont steel jones and mahura be exempt anyway? Isnt it 3 pro years needed to qualify for expansion draft?

and cough cough perry and possibly kesler

Yeah they would be exempt like Montour/Larsson/Theodore were if the draft is in June 2020
My biggest concern is the price they'll pay to make Seattle not pick one of their D-men or forwards (if they go 8 + 1)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I dont think it is wise to say that. We all thought that about Bieksa and Murray wouldnt even do it to him. I doubt he is gonna do that to Perry who is a for Hart winning lifer.
I doubt Seattle would pick a very much declined Perry who's only under contract for 1 year, he won't re-sign with them, he'll bolt out of town as soon as possible.
Perry would be in his final year of contract in 20-21 season & can be easily be bought out before his last year under contract.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I think it would be pretty shitty for Anaheim to buy out or even threaten to buy him out. We're not talking about a Bieksa here, we're talking about a guy who's number will be in the rafters when it's all said and done and is one of Anaheims first home grown superstars.

I'd honestly rather give up an asset then end the relationship with Perry on a shitty note like that, and it would make the organisation look kind of bad if they are so willing to kick one if their greatest ever players to the curb so easily imo.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Aa long as we continue to do well in drafts i think we can use a prospect to protect us... it sucks but it is a luxury thst we have.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
What about a guy like Niklas Hjalmarsson... was a huge part to the Chicago cup runs, coyotes don't look like they are going to be contenders any time soon... so youngish/ahl players picks would prob be a good starting point, hes actually on a solid contract (4m cap hit for 1 more year after this year). He is a legit shutdown dmen...which could end up being a great partner for a guy like Montour who is still learning the defensive game @ nhl level.
Lindholm Manson
Fowler Bieska
Hjalmarsson Montour

We don't exactly have cap dumps(its clear bieska is on this team for better or worse) .. I think cogliano/vermette both play important parts in our depth + leadership on the team so not exactly wanting to move them(tho hjalmarsson could fill the leadership voids I think). Didn't really consider the cap raises next year so this likely doesn't work without moving a guy like Eaves, as that would be 4 million more to the 7.5 million worth of extensions on manson and fowler, not including Montours/Ritchie/kase raises.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
The Coyotes brought in Hjalmarsson to coax Ekman-Larsson to stay put. They literally asked him whom he'd like to play with ideally and he replied by giving Hjalmarsson's name. If OEL is re-signing with the team, as is undoubtedly in Chayka's cards, Hjalmarsson is not going to be available.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Friedman thinks that Arizona is ready to give up on Duclair, they might be looking to trade him. Possible reclamation project right there?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wouldn't mind getting duclair... he prob fits in well with our team now. Def a better option than Ritchie with the ty pes of forwards we have now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What could they have gotten in a trade for Vatanen + Theodore packaged together ?
They could have done that before the expansion draft to bring in a top 6 forward, then all thats left to do is ask Bieksa to waive or he gets bought out so then they protect Fowler/Lindholm/Manson.
In this scenario Vegas gets scraps to pick from like Vermette, Wagner etc instead of the Ducks gift wrapping them Theodore.

I wonder what prospect they'll send to Seattle to not pick Manson ? in next years expansion draft they'll again have 4 D-men they want to keep. Larsson or Mahura to Seattle ?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
What could they have gotten in a trade for Vatanen + Theodore packaged together ?
They could have done that before the expansion draft to bring in a top 6 forward, then all thats left to do is ask Bieksa to waive or he gets bought out so then they protect Fowler/Lindholm/Manson.
In this scenario Vegas gets scraps to pick from like Vermette, Wagner etc instead of the Ducks gift wrapping them Theodore.

I wonder what prospect they'll send to Seattle to not pick Manson ? in next years expansion draft they'll again have 4 D-men they want to keep. Larsson or Mahura to Seattle ?

Seattle’s arena isn’t going to be ready until 2020 at the earliest. We don’t have to worry about any expansion drafts for a while.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Just something to fuel the rumor mill. The Leafs have been without RD Zaitsev, and have been pretty tight-lipped about all their injuries. Recently, they called up prospect Travis Dermott to fill in, despite the fact he's more of a left defense. Without asking him, they just pulled his #3 off his jersey when he showed up to practice. This has lead to speculation that the Leafs are bringing in an established #3 right defenseman. It was believed the organization did not want to rush any of their players and also have little faith in their depth veteran blueliners. If Zaitsev goes on long-term injury reserve, that would be $4.5 million freed up for salary. Would Kevin Bieksa be available?

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Just something to fuel the rumor mill. The Leafs have been without RD Zaitsev, and have been pretty tight-lipped about all their injuries. Recently, they called up prospect Travis Dermott to fill in, despite the fact he's more of a left defense. Without asking him, they just pulled his #3 off his jersey when he showed up to practice. This has lead to speculation that the Leafs are bringing in an established #3 right defenseman. It was believed the organization did not want to rush any of their players and also have little faith in their depth veteran blueliners. If Zaitsev goes on long-term injury reserve, that would be $4.5 million freed up for salary. Would Kevin Bieksa be available?
Bieksa has a NMC that he’s not going to waive for Toronto, nor should Toronto even want to trade for him.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
As if all the Pacioretty threads weren't bad enough, I don't doubt there are going to be a million Kane to Anaheim threads, especially after the price Dreger gave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad