Speculation: 2017-2018 Trade Rumors Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennaduck

Aug 17, 2016
Pennsylvania
For those thinking we should be targeting some additional depth at D rather than adding another forward, here is a list of players not on the Ducks that are poised to become UFA this summer, who currently make more than 1 million:

Mike Green- probably will be moved if Detroit is out of a playoff spot
Toby Enstrom - doubt he'll be moved with Winnipeg rolling
Jason Garrison - not even in NHL with Vegas so little value here
Jack Johnson- I don't see Columbus messing with their D
Alexei Emelin - I also don't see Nashville messing with their D
Zdeno Chara - may potentially be moved if Boston is out of it, but I doubt it
John Carlson - Caps are in Win-Now mode, they won't move him even if they cant afford to re-sign him
Josh Gorges- basically washed up from what I can tell, but almost certainly available
Dan Hamhuis- could become available if Dallas is out, but that seems unlikely
Mark Fayne- likely available but would be a minimal impact move
Luca Sbisa- Sbisa is currently playing big minutes for them, so I doubt they are looking to deal him
Erik Gudbranson - possibly gets moved but seems like more of a project right now than an established D
Calvin De Haan - no way he gets moved since they are trying to have a winner and keep Tavares in town
Clayton Stoner - certainly available but nope
Thomas Hickey- probably available but not worth acquiring
Ian Cole- rumored to be available, decent veteran depth D
Andrej Sustr - not currently in Tampa's top six, could be available
John Moore - I doubt NJ moves a D unless they are bringing in a better one, so he's likely not available
Nick Holden- Would be a decent pickup but doubt he's available unless the Rangers are out of it by the deadline
Dalton Prout - Meh, woudn't bring much
Luke Schenn - almost certainly available and could be a decent depth acquisition
Kyle Quincey- Can't crack Minnesota top 6, woudn't crack ours
Dennis Seidenberg- basically done, not worth acquiring
Roman Polak- I don't see Toronto moving defensive depth so I doubt he's available

Unless I'm missing something, there's not much in the way of UFA defensemen this deadline. Maybe I am misjudging the situations for some of these teams and guys like Enstrom, Carlsson, and De Haan are actually available for the right price. But from what I can tell, Green, Chara, and Hamhuis are the only big UFA names that could be dealt. If we were to add a depth guy, I think we'd be looking at Cole, Sustr, Holden, and Schenn. I don't follow rumors all that much so I don't know who else may be on the block across the league that isn't a pending UFA

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The right price for anybody solid enough to be a top 4 is more than we should be paying. We need to suck it up and get the best out of the talent we have. (Are you listening RC?) That's always been a playoff problem and no trade has ever fixed it. It's not like we don't have quality players.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Him being sheltered could have been related to the fact that he was playing injured. We disagree, but not by a huge margin and that's ok. I still respect your opinion.

The D that I'm actually worried about in the playoffs is Beauch. He really faded down the stretch the last time he played for us in the post season. He has also clearly regressed since then as well. I'm not sure I see him playing every game for us in the playoffs. We may need someone to cover for him.

I think the fact he’s not playing huge minutes will help Beauchemin. He played a couple of 40+ minute games in 2015 and against Chicago completely ran out of gas. This year we only need him to play 17-18 and he’s getting some back to backs off also which hopefully will help.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Are we going to be sellers next year?
Its not that, i just think after a healthy year where his production is probably down they might try to move his contract even with only 1 year remaining. I think he might not be the same when he returns next season, maybe end up playing on the 3rd or 4th line due to decline in production.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Why do I have a bad feeling Bob is going to re-sign Kev for one year to be next year's veteran presence?
I hope that Beauchemin considers 1 more year instead of them bringing back Bieksa. in sheltered 3rd pairing minutes he should be ok for another season to help mentor Welinski or Larsson whichever one makes the roster next season.
Next season Montour's ice time likely will go up so next years 3rd pairing should get even less ice time than this year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I hope that Beauchemin considers 1 more year instead of them bringing back Bieksa. in sheltered 3rd pairing minutes he should be ok for another season to help mentor Welinski or Larsson whichever one makes the roster next season.
Next season Montour's ice time likely will go up so next years 3rd pairing should get even less ice time than this year.

The problem with that plan is that Beauch is older than Kev and is already being given nights off to account for his age, while Kev is being treated like a vet, fully capable of carrying his own weight. I don't agree with how the team views Kev, but it is what it is.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think the fact he’s not playing huge minutes will help Beauchemin. He played a couple of 40+ minute games in 2015 and against Chicago completely ran out of gas. This year we only need him to play 17-18 and he’s getting some back to backs off also which hopefully will help.

this. Assuming Carlyle is smart with his ice time, Beauchemin is actually the ideal bottom pairing defenseman come playoff time IMO.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Bieksa on say a 0.8m-1m 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst re-signing assuming he is kept at around 14-16 minutes a night strictly on the 3rd pairing / #7, but I don't trust coaching or management to view him in that sort of role - even next season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Bieksa on say a 0.8m-1m 1 year deal wouldn't be the worst re-signing assuming he is kept at around 14-16 minutes a night strictly on the 3rd pairing / #7, but I don't trust coaching or management to view him in that sort of role - even next season.

Yeah, it's the usage and the mindset shown by the coaches and KB that's the problem. Playing within his current limits he could be a solid veteran presence. Playing like he thinks he's 25, uh, not so much.

Reactions: mightyquack

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If they are looking for a veteran D-man for next season for the 3rd pairing, find one who can skate better than Bieksa & doesn't make as many mistakes as him that can do that in 3rd pairing minutes.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
The problem is that Bieksa shows up come playoff time. We could replace him with someone who performs better in the regular season, or one of our rookies like Welinski or Larsson. But we're missing out on a solid defender and a steady veteran presence come playoff time. He's not bad enough that he'll singlehandedly kill our playoff chances, but he's worth his trouble in the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong, I hate how he plays during the regular season, but he's a great locker room guy and a good defenseman come playoff time. If we can bring him back on a short-term, low-cost deal to play as a #6/7, I wouldn't really mind.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Bieksa still makes the same stupid mistakes he always makes in the playoffs

Not as many though. I think during the season he plays tentative, trying not to take penalties. He doesn't have the speed and stick skills to play a clean game well. But in the playoffs, he doesn't have to make a high skill play. He can just crush a guy and they let it go. They also allow more contact before the puck arrives. He can also get away with enough cheap shots that he's in the other team's head. That's his game. Dirty, ugly playoff games are just his style and skill set.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I thought bieksa was pretty average last playoffs and I thought he was horrendous last regular season. I actually feel he is a lot better this regular season because he isn't trying to do more than he is capable of.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I thought bieksa was pretty average last playoffs and I thought he was horrendous last regular season. I actually feel he is a lot better this regular season because he isn't trying to do more than he is capable of.

I'm of the opinion that his mistakes/60 are about the same, it's just that he hasn't been given as much ice time, so the mistakes are further apart. :laugh:

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Bieksa is definitely more effective in the postseason for whatever reason, but last year I think the positive feeling about him was exaggerated (for better or worse) because when he was out, we replaced him with Theodore who was the human equivalent of a traffic cone in the defensive zone. There was such a marked improvement when Bieksa came back and replaced him that maybe we were giving him more credit than he deserved.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bieksa is useless except when he punches someone. He is like Pujols in the 2017 MLB season. He's so bad they are better off letting a rookie D-man play in his spot.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Bieksa is horrid and should not be playing in the NHL. Put him at forward so if he makes a mistake the puck isn't in the back of our net or put him out of his misery.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bieksa is horrid and should not be playing in the NHL. Put him at forward so if he makes a mistake the puck isn't in the back of our net or put him out of his misery.
Effectively replacing the role Boll had except Bieksa can win fights :)

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
For veteran D-man role for next years 3rd pairing what if Ottawa ate 85% of Phaneuf's contract ? He'd be a superior version of Bieksa. Another benifet is Elisha Cuthbert would become a Ducks fan aka Kim Bauer from 24 is his wife, so i'd see him waiving NTC to be closer to LA area.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
For veteran D-man role for next years 3rd pairing what if Ottawa ate 85% of Phaneuf's contract ? He'd be a superior version of Bieksa. Another benifet is Elisha Cuthbert would become a Ducks fan aka Kim Bauer from 24 is his wife, so i'd see him waiving NTC to be closer to LA area.

Why would Ottawa eat 85% of Phaneuf's contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad