Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You still need at least 1 big body defenseman to clear the crease on the PK, if nothing more.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think people think Schenn is better in his own zone only because of his physicality, and I think the premise that he is better in his own zone than Clendening is inaccurate. I'll take the "puck mover" rather than the lumbering checker any day. Schenn spends a lot of his time hitting, because he never has the puck and is busy trying to hit players to get it back. I'd rather have a good skating Dman who can be both defensive and offensive minded and to me Clendening is the better player.

Our D last season as a whole was 'deplorable' and Schenn contributed his fair share to that moniker.
I'm not certain he's better in the D zone, but that's really only because I haven't seen a ton of Clandening yet.

I think Schenn is just super underrated here. He's slow, but imo his ability with the puck really isn't bad. He's not frequently making stretch passes, but he's also not a puck bubbling turnover machine.

If he's above your bottom pairing you have issues, because clearly he is a bottom pairing guy. But as long as he's on your 3rd pairing and 1st PK group, I think he's right where he belongs and is pretty damn effective.

As I've said previously though, his lack of foot speed alone may make him not work for Tocc, and Clandening also could be better, which is fine. If Schenn is your depth defender I think your blue line is in good shape.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, PMD's are so valuable in todays NHL. The slower D can't stand anyone up at the blue line for fear of getting burned and are too slow to retrieve the puck and make the first pass. I hope Clendening is better then Schenn but if not Schenn is fine as a 3RHD.

Clendening had a good camp of the little that I saw, but lets see what happens when the season starts. I thought Schenn played very well last year and he makes a great 3rd pairing.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Clendening had a good camp of the little that I saw, but lets see what happens when the season starts. I thought Schenn played very well last year and he makes a great 3rd pairing.

Agreed. I am not sure it matters much who plays on the third pair. The important thing is that we on paper don't have holes in our top 4D, assuming Demers is a 2RHD still. Kconn/Chych/Schenn/Clenenden can rotate in and out of third pair. I only get concerned about our D if we have an injury in the top 4, then somebody has to step up above there level. Chych might be able to, but he hasn't proven it yet, so we'll see.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Who's the other C? Cousins or Nook?

Cousins filled in for Strome mid-game. Maybe Richardson moves up one line and Cousins centers the 4th.

It might end up being both Nook/Cousins, some sort of patch work thing or situational.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Per Sarah..... Got banged up Saturday and took a maintenance day. Is questionable tomorrow. Might be another reason for Kempe's call up.

Seems like that phrase maintenance day is getting a lot more use with this team. Previously it was mostly limited to Hanzal and Doan. Wonder if that's by design with some of the staff/training staff changes. More rest for banged up players.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Seems like that phrase maintenance day is getting a lot more use with this team. Previously it was mostly limited to Hanzal and Doan. Wonder if that's by design with some of the staff/training staff changes. More rest for banged up players.
I think it's a good idea. I think sometimes players play through too much. I know every game counts, but sitting some guys who are beat up for a practice or even the 2nd game of a back to back might be worth it in the long run.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we are going to use valuable assets like 1st and 2nd rounders on players like Dylan Strome, Nick Merkley, and Ryan MacInnis, why haven't we signed any veteran support for them on our AHL roster? I hadn't bothered to look until now but I'm absolutely FLOORED by the complete lack of offensive threats on our minor-league team.

Emerson Etem is the only forward on the entire roster that's ever had any kind of success scoring at a high level in the AHL. The rest of the forward core is 100% unproven at the AHL level. This is inexcusable. What the hell is Steve Sullivan doing? Why can't they get any decent AHL players to help with the development of prospects that we SHOULD still be heavily invested in.

We could have had a hell of an NHL player had we traded the Strome, Merkley, and MacInnis picks. It's crazy to let them rot on a potentially last place AHL team with no scoring threats. What is this?

rt

May 13, 2004
No denying the complete lack of track-record among forwards at the AHL level, however. Big game 1 or not. Seems an extremely irresponsible roster assembly. Who is sleeping at the wheel?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
It is early and we all knew the team is a work in progress (perpetual but at least this year is like a real fresh start) but holy **** they look bad. Where is the leadership?

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
It is early and we all knew the team is a work in progress (perpetual but at least this year is like a real fresh start) but holy **** they look bad. Where is the leadership?
That awkward moment when the announcer says "Captains at center ice" and after a pause OEL finally skates out there. Felt like they weren't even prepared for that part of the night. Oh well, it was Vegas's night and I'm ok with that. I just really hope the team starts looking better soon.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The team looks lost. Tocc is trying to play "fast" and a wide open system. The difference between us and Vegas is they have vets and are playing an actual more conservative, defense first system. The Vegas forecheck and neutral zone coverage has us without any sustained puck control. Our defensemen haven't played well but this is mostly due to our forward coverage and positioning. Add that we are getting killed on the dot and it is a recipe for disaster. This is what you get when you combine young forwards with an offense first system. Raanta was bad which didn't help.

The bottom line is more of the same. I think our vet D core will tighten it up a little and Raanta will be better. but, we are getting outplayed in every facet. Outside of bringing in veterans, this is going to be a long process. When you combine youth with an offense first system, you are inviting mistakes all over the ice. Our forward coverage versus Vegas is so night and day different. I hope Tocc can get his arms around this team quickly. I just think it will take time, like years, for this to get sorted out.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
If Perlini is out an extended amount of time, I wonder who will get the call. Have to think Chyaka will be looking long and hard at the trade route again.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The team looks lost. Tocc is trying to play "fast" and a wide open system. The difference between us and Vegas is they have vets and are playing an actual more conservative, defense first system. The Vegas forecheck and neutral zone coverage has us without any sustained puck control. Our defensemen haven't played well but this is mostly due to our forward coverage and positioning. Add that we are getting killed on the dot and it is a recipe for disaster. This is what you get when you combine young forwards with an offense first system. Raanta was bad which didn't help.

The bottom line is more of the same. I think our vet D core will tighten it up a little and Raanta will be better. but, we are getting outplayed in every facet. Outside of bringing in veterans, this is going to be a long process. When you combine youth with an offense first system, you are inviting mistakes all over the ice. Our forward coverage versus Vegas is so night and day different. I hope Tocc can get his arms around this team quickly. I just think it will take time, like years, for this to get sorted out.

I'm not worried about the system. We have the players to play a more offensive game than in years past. The players know what they have to do, they just have to do it. OEL, Stepan and the other vets better put on their boot straps and lead these kids. I would expect and much better showing going forward.

rt

May 13, 2004
That awkward moment when the announcer says "Captains at center ice" and after a pause OEL finally skates out there. Felt like they weren't even prepared for that part of the night. Oh well, it was Vegas's night and I'm ok with that. I just really hope the team starts looking better soon.
This whole leadership committee thing is just dumb. OEL is obviously the guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Vegas and their SIX alternates say hello.
Oh, I didn't realize that two of them were permanent and the other four alternated on the coach's whims. And that one was brand new to the team while the other is the longest serving player in the organization, the face of the franchise, far and away the team's best player and the guy that already does all of the things like ceremonial puck drops and is the guy all of the media immediately seeks out after tough losses because he's clearly the established leader of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad