Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
This whole leadership committee thing is just dumb. OEL is obviously the guy.

Perhaps he is just not, rt. We all thought he would be (so straightforward - star player, soon to be renewed big contract, management would want to keep him feeling wanted/loved etc.) yet they have circled/tiptoeing around him all summer and pre-season.... So perhaps he is just not that guy, maybe that responsibility does not work for him?

Just a speculative thought obviously but things just don't add up on the captaincy front.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Per Craig:
  • Perlini to IR
  • Martinook practicing today
  • Etem called up
  • Cousins/Connauton not on the ice for practice

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Perhaps he is just not, rt. We all thought he would be (so straightforward - star player, soon to be renewed big contract, management would want to keep him feeling wanted/loved etc.) yet they have circled/tiptoeing around him all summer and pre-season.... So perhaps he is just not that guy, maybe that responsibility does not work for him?

Just a speculative thought obviously but things just don't add up on the captaincy front.

Leadership Hierarchy (as defined by letter selection and letter permanency)

Tier 1 (higher than Tier 2)
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Niklas Hjalmarsson

Tier 2 (higher than Tier 3)
Brad Richardson
Alex Goligoski
Derek Stepan

Tier 3 (lowest tier)

Every single other player

Do you mean to tell me he's a good enough leader to be in Tier 1 but just not quite good enough that MGT/Coaching just couldn't decide between him and Hjalmarsson? They've identified OEL and Hammer as the two most superior leaders of all the other players on the team. How can OEL over Hammer not be a completely obvious move for half a dozen reasons? This was poorly handled. Tocchet and Chayka fumbled this.

Reactions: Jakey53

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Oh, I didn't realize that two of them were permanent and the other four alternated on the coach's whims. And that one was brand new to the team while the other is the longest serving player in the organization, the face of the franchise, far and away the team's best player and the guy that already does all of the things like ceremonial puck drops and is the guy all of the media immediately seeks out after tough losses because he's clearly the established leader of the team.

Actually it's three home and three away....

https://sinbin.vegas/golden-knights-name-six-yes-six-alternate-captains/

You're making more out of this than it really needs to be.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Very early but this team desperately needs a second scoring line. Huge Dvorak fan but he needs to generate more offense.

Reactions: Jakey53

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Looking at the Toronto model the Coyotes are needing a couple good veterans to help the young guys. Toronto had JVR, Kadri, Komorov and Bozak then went out and added Marleau.

They have good chemistry but having the two most talented players (Domi and Keller) playing with the only veteran centre seems like putting all our eggs in one basket.

Reactions: Sthlmyote and rt

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I know that I will be in the minority here..... But I would really like to see Duclair swapped with Keller. I know it sounds insane ... But I have hopes that Domi and Duclair given some time would re establish their chemistry.

If it doesnt happen , then trade Duke. But lets see give him a chance and see what will happen.
Keller will make everyone around him better. So its not a huge deal moving him down. I would love to see Dvorak be the scorer he was in junior , and I think playing with Keller will boost Him and Perlini.

Still not convinced Strome becomes a star being on the 4th line. I would rather see him Dominate in the Ahl , rather than stay here and become a career third line checker.

Kind of thinking I would still like to see this .. ( Strome in the AHL .. good - hope he dominates. ) But rolling all 4 lines equally. The reason I want Keller with Dvorak and Perlini , is Keller can pass just as good as he can score.. and I really want to see Dvorak and Perlini start sniping in some goals..

Domi Stepan Duclair
Perlini Dvorak Keller
Crouse Richardson Fischer
Nook Cousins Reider

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's early, but Lawson Crouse is 2nd in the league with 17 hits.

Chicago's John Hayden is first place with 20.

Crouse is averaging 4.3 hits per game, which is basically double last year's 2.2.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
It's early, but Lawson Crouse is 2nd in the league with 17 hits.

Chicago's John Hayden is first place with 20.

Crouse is averaging 4.3 hits per game, which is basically double last year's 2.2.
Angry crouse has been a sight to behold.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

The possibilities are endless...

Well, it's not like he could so much worse than Stepan :P
Domi - Keller - Duclair (just for kicks)
Rieder - Dvorak - Stepan (keep step out of the circle)
Crouse - Richardson - Fischer
Martinook - whoever - whoever (I'm assuming Perlini is still out)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Stepan is playing about 21 minutes a game which is 2 and a half minutes more than he did last season. Probably pushing him a little too hard.

His fancy stats are solid and his line is putting up points.

I'm not opposed to trying Keller at C anyway, but our RW depth is so putrid we kinda need him there more.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I wonder if strome was given a shot to play top 6 with more capable wingers during practice. I think he should have been given a game to prove otherwise

For our top 9, I would like to try:

Domi - Stepan - keller
Duclair - strome - Fischer
Crouse - Dvorak - rieder

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wonder if strome was given a shot to play top 6 with more capable wingers during practice. I think he should have been given a game to prove otherwise

For our top 9, I would like to try:

Domi - Stepan - keller
Duclair - strome - Fischer
Crouse - Dvorak - rieder
I don't think that you get it. Great play wins out. With Strome and a couple of lug nut wings we'd be talking about how Strome shines despite his line mates.

Strome didn't shine. He played to the level of his wingers. That's why he's in the AHL.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I’m cinfused. Are you telling me that all of the sudden our C depth outshine our winger depth?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m cinfused. Are you telling me that all of the sudden our C depth outshine our winger depth?
Yea you are. I'm saying that a good player looks good regardless of who he plays with. In Strome's case, we'd see all those great passes to wings who do nothing with them. We'd see high quality shots when the puck is on his stick. We'd see great defensive plays.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
There's an emerging body of evidence that the most important factor for prospect development is quality of linemates, not usage or quality of competition. This is especially true for a playmaker, whose entire game is built around putting his linemates in a position to score. Strome needs good linemates to develop into the top six center we want him to become. If he's stuck with plugs at the NHL level, his development will stall or even regress.

The AHL is the right spot for him for now.

Reactions: BigDoaner

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
There's an emerging body of evidence that the most important factor for prospect development is quality of linemates, not usage or quality of competition. This is especially true for a playmaker, whose entire game is built around putting his linemates in a position to score. Strome needs good linemates to develop into the top six center we want him to become. If he's stuck with plugs at the NHL level, his development will stall or even regress.

The AHL is the right spot for him for now.
Interesting. Where can I find this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad