Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

I'll put you and Lady Macb down for two of the "lot of opinions":)

I did go to several practices and scrimmages and felt Schenn was everything Schenn is and has been. For the record though, I also didn't agree with much of the criticism he was getting in the scrimmages you watched. So, take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'll put you and Lady Macb down for two of the "lot of opinions":)

I did go to several practices and scrimmages and felt Schenn was everything Schenn is and has been. For the record though, I also didn't agree with much of the criticism he was getting in the scrimmages you watched. So, take it for what it's worth.

2 pre-season games is a small sample size, admittedly. I also didn't get to watch a whole lot of games last year (maybe about 30 out of 82 in total or so).

I mean at the end of the day, he's OUR player, so I hope he does well, because I want the team to succeed. Wishing a bad performance on your own team's player is counterproductive, unless you're an Edmonton Oilers fan hoping for another 1OA pick.

I hope Luke Schenn proves me wrong, but from what little I saw of him, I didn't like what I saw.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
2 pre-season games is a small sample size, admittedly. I also didn't get to watch a whole lot of games last year (maybe about 30 out of 82 in total or so).

I mean at the end of the day, he's OUR player, so I hope he does well, because I want the team to succeed. Wishing a bad performance on your own team's player is counterproductive, unless you're an Edmonton Oilers fan hoping for another 1OA pick.

I hope Luke Schenn proves me wrong, but from what little I saw of him, I didn't like what I saw.
Hey, no worries - just sharing my opinion. He's never gonna dazzle with puck skills, but imo is effective (more like an old school defender), he adds a physical presence and is strong on the pk - just typical Luke Schenn - imo

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Schenn has spent most of his NHL career looking overmatched. Two preseason games is not the sample size to condemn him, but he's never been a great defenseman. He looked passable last year with OEL, but "not abjectly terrible playing next to one of the best defensemen in the world" is faint praise.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
How much camp did you attend? I know it goes against a lot of opinions here, but I did not see a poor camp from Schenn, much less a terrible camp.
Agreed, I do worry about him not fitting in as well Tocc's playstyle though. If he's putting a premium on speed, Schenn wouldn't really fit the bill.

Reactions: RemoAZ

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Every time I'm reminded of lurkers I feel so embarrassed for subjecting them to my 10 posts per day of nonsense. Apologies to all lurkers!
Rt I enjoy your posts more than most. You've got a certain straightforwardness to you that tends to create good discussions which is why I read these boards.

I can't say I'm the most hockey smart person in the world which is why I choose to lurk, but y'all have definitely made me think more about the game

Reactions: doaner

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Agreed, I do worry about him not fitting in as well Tocc's playstyle though. If he's putting a premium on speed, Schenn wouldn't really fit the bill.

That's a good point. Tocc really wants to push for breakouts too. I'd imagine all the Dmen will have to sharpen their passing. I don't think guys that are poor puck movers will last long. Schenn's physical presence might not be mandatory any more but it's still nice to have. Like it did last year, his partner could cover for his weaknesses until a true upgrade (Wood?) makes the team. Maybe a Chychrun/Schenn pairing works for this season.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Rt I enjoy your posts more than most. You've got a certain straightforwardness to you that tends to create good discussions which is why I read these boards.

I can't say I'm the most hockey smart person in the world which is why I choose to lurk, but y'all have definitely made me think more about the game

Okay now tell me something nice about me plz :naughty:

InrHjeX.gif

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
From what I watched - I thought Clendening handles the puck better, better on the outlet pass and skates better then Schenn.
I think Schenn is better in the defensive zone and is more physical. I think there will be a rotation of defenseman once Chychrun gets back.
I seen Schenn, Connatum and Clendening rotating. I though Schenn suffered in the uptempo style. Overall the defensive coverage has to be better by everyone..

I like the roster. I think Kempe going down was the right call. I think Kempe is lighter version of Martinook and possibly Rieder.
I think we will see him if we have any injuries.

I had my doubts last year watching Keller last year in the couple games he played. He looks completely different. I think the
style of play - up tempo and maybe Tocc's teaching style has let Keller flourish.

I think the coach needs to put players in a position to succeed. Allowing them to utilize their skillset.
The last few years we allowed teams to move up the ice with little pressure trying to clog the middle. The PK was passive.
I like the aggressive style that I have watched.

We may not win - but I think the hockey will be lots more entertaining.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That's a good point. Tocc really wants to push for breakouts too. I'd imagine all the Dmen will have to sharpen their passing. I don't think guys that are poor puck movers will last long.

Hjalmarsson is an absolute anomaly with the puck. He even admits it himself. If the Coaches want a more active defense, then Chayka should have never traded for a guy that plays in the NHL purely because he's that good against the puck. Schenn is a passing and shooting god compared to Hjalmarsson.

I like puck moving defenders as well but it's a fine line since you're talking about players who are first and foremost there to defend.
Demers is boarderline already. I like him as a player but they didn't like him in Florida. Some fans were even happy to get McGinn for him. Pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Schenn may be a bad skater and passer but you shouldn't undervalue what he does for a team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Clendening is terrible. If he's in for Schenn and Kempe sent away then I'm not sure if I even wanna watch until that stupid coaching staff is gone. Seriously. Schenn is the only serious physical force and the only decent fighter on the team. Crouse and Domi have of course potential to do some damage but I would rather have them focussed on other stuff.
No one is forcing you to watch.

Trust me, I'm not picky. I watched all of last season and the many bad ones before...until the bitter end. Despite Tippett and his bs. But enough is enough. I like the idea of Barroway to clean the house but it doesn't work like that. Too many incompetent and inexperienced people among the staff. Not sure if I'll be able to deal with that.

How do you know they are Incompetent? We haven't even played a game yet. Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Roster improvements are impossible to determine in preseason. The Tocchet led squad will have its growing pains in the initial weeks of the year because of the large roster turnover and their need to transition to a new coaching staff. A strong start is absolutely necessary, lets hope it happens!

I agree.

I understand frustration from the past few years. We all have been there. However this new coaching staff has not even coached a single game with this roster and you are ready to give up on them because of a 6th D-man selection? Who knows Schenn could be nursing a minor injury/illness. OR they just simply want to roll with Clendening instead. Either one works for me...

Now if Chychrun was healthy and they decided to start Clendening over him I would raise an eyebrow and question it....Schenn on the other hand? Whatever.

Yup.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rushing prospects ? You mean Keller who had 8 points in 4 games in preseason and who will be competing for the Calder this year ? You mean Strome who did look good even though he didn't put a lot of points on the score sheet like Keller. He may be sent eventually to the Roadrunners but he showed he at least deserved a spot on the opening night roster.

Not enough size/grit ? Have you watched the NHL for the past few seasons or what ? Size and grit are overrated, speed and skills will win you championship in the new NHL plus we have guys like Crouse, Domi who can stand up for their teamates when needed event though its not their main role.

Bad coaching ? We don't know what Tocchet and his coaching staff is capable of but can we give them some games before making a judgement. Plus I really liked what I saw in the preseason games. He isn't afraid to try different things and he will give some time for linemates to gel together and develop some chemistry.

Why don't you admit you were wrong about Keller from the get go ? You kept telling us all summer that he wasn't NHL ready and that he would need one or two year in the AHL to adapt while every expert that watched Keller play last year penciled him as a Calder favorite and rightfully so. We don't need negativism like that around here. The team is turning a corner this year and they may pretend for a playoff spot.

The proof will be in the pudding.

Not ready to give up yet but if it goes the way I expect it to then I don't know how long I'll be able to take it. Not easy to get up at night just to see losses. I did it in the past but for this? From what I heard and saw I don't think this Coach has NHL level and I don't think the roster is competitive. Surely not in terms of special teams. Should the league continue to organize parades to the penalty box then good night, Arizona.

I swear you must be XX brother.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Clandening in the roster is about rewarding a strong preseason and PP needs. Also, Ducks have a very mobile blueline so perhaps it is to keep up with their speed. Without Keseler, Getz and Perry are really their only bruisers, so a crease clearer in Schenn may noy be as needed. We will see if that was the right decision or not.

Could see Schenn in the home opener if Clandening has a poor game, or just to have the body against an unknown Vegas team that may look to come into PHX stomping around their new rivals.

Preseason in one thing, the regular season in another. Clendening had a good camp, but lets see what happens when the chips are down. Schenn is proven and we know what he can do..

yeah i finally did it. I had enough

I have never used it and thought I never would, but I'm now being tempted, but I can't find the button.

How much camp did you attend? I know it goes against a lot of opinions here, but I did not see a poor camp from Schenn, much less a terrible camp.

To be honest, I did not see much of the preseason so my judgment should be taken with a grain of salt. I did however see Schenn beaten a few times. He just seemed a little off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sthlmyote

cobra427

May 6, 2012
To be honest, I did not see much of the preseason so my judgment should be taken with a grain of salt. I did however see Schenn beaten a few times. He just seemed a little off.

It's preseason anyway, doesn't really matter too much. Clandening making the opening night roster instead of Schenn is the only surprise. It might only last a game or two, who knows. Too early to tell anything about this roster or the team. After 20 games or so, we'll know a lot more. I expect players in and out, players up and down to the AHL, a trade, and a waver pick up, all between now and Christmas.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Preseason in one thing, the regular season in another. Clendening had a good camp, but lets see what happens when the chips are down. Schenn is proven and we know what he can do..

I did not see much (and I think most here didn't see much more because of poor coverage) but from what I saw, Clendening was as terrible as always...or even worse than that. No way Gaudreau would ever outmuscle Luke Schenn. Schenn smokes all midgets in this league alive if necessary.

Toadie

Mar 24, 2015
Calgary AB
Click on the poster name then you are given options. Follow ignore and an interesting make a bet with? Did anyone use this yet? I know I took slack for saying Keller will be a 60 point man. Friendly bet :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's preseason anyway, doesn't really matter too much. Clandening making the opening night roster instead of Schenn is the only surprise. It might only last a game or two, who knows. Too early to tell anything about this roster or the team. After 20 games or so, we'll know a lot more. I expect players in and out, players up and down to the AHL, a trade, and a waver pick up, all between now and Christmas.

Exactly.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Plenty to figure out in the first 5-15 games. I expect Kempe to be called up at some point sooner rather than later, and hopefully not due to injury. Especially because of the relative distance between Tucson and Glendale, as opposed to our other AHL teams and taking an entire day to get someone across the country. Let Rinaldo sit for the first 5 games, and maybe give him a game after that. If Kempe has started to heat up in the A, it gives the ammo to move Rinaldi or any of our young players to go back down (including, but not limited to Strome, Fischer, and Duclair).

I think Keller is up for good.

Still not certain if Duclair winds up being a success. Funny looking back at how the Rangers talked about including Duclair in the Yandle trade - maybe there was a reason behind that and they did not expect him to blossom into a specific type of player that another team may have thought he would blossom into.

The roster has the players that we have waited patiently for. Time to see them take the next step...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That was me. To be clear, I'm not going to boycott the team because Rinaldo is playing. I'm going to be uninterested in watching the team after someone severs Clayton Keller's spinal column in retaliation for one of Rinaldo's cheap shots.

Fair enough.

There have been way too many posts which make the authors appear to be going ballistic over each and every issue. I also complained about Rinaldo's presence on the team.

The best way to protect the players is to develop a fearsome power play. Next is to have players who can fight above their weight class.
The worse way is to keep a Rinaldo on the team who will take a penalty at the worst time, injure an opposing player and set up the team for retribution.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

...or a Coyote fan time travelling from 3 years ago...

Reactions: Lady Macbeth

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
From what I watched - I thought Clendening handles the puck better, better on the outlet pass and skates better then Schenn.
I think Schenn is better in the defensive zone and is more physical.

I think people think Schenn is better in his own zone only because of his physicality, and I think the premise that he is better in his own zone than Clendening is inaccurate. I'll take the "puck mover" rather than the lumbering checker any day. Schenn spends a lot of his time hitting, because he never has the puck and is busy trying to hit players to get it back. I'd rather have a good skating Dman who can be both defensive and offensive minded and to me Clendening is the better player.

Our D last season as a whole was 'deplorable' and Schenn contributed his fair share to that moniker.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think people think Schenn is better in his own zone only because of his physicality, and I think the premise that he is better in his own zone than Clendening is inaccurate. I'll take the "puck mover" rather than the lumbering checker any day. Schenn spends a lot of his time hitting, because he never has the puck and is busy trying to hit players to get it back. I'd rather have a good skating Dman who can be both defensive and offensive minded and to me Clendening is the better player.

Our D last season as a whole was 'deplorable' and Schenn contributed his fair share to that moniker.

I agree, PMD's are so valuable in todays NHL. The slower D can't stand anyone up at the blue line for fear of getting burned and are too slow to retrieve the puck and make the first pass. I hope Clendening is better then Schenn but if not Schenn is fine as a 3RHD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad