Speculation: 2017 - 2018 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So where will we end up?

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=d8cac231d35721d0e7aaed1dbb67e594

Arizona does have until Tuesday to get its 23-man roster into the league and with the team currently carrying a third goalie in Marek Langhamer and defenseman Jabok Chychrun (knee) starting the season on injured reserve, the Coyotes would have to make only one more additional move to get to the roster limit.

So if Raanta is ready to go, then only one player has to be sent to the A?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
RE: Rinaldo - One would hope.

Kempe seems like a more ideal 12/13F as he can PK or even slot up due to injury since he has experience on scoring lines in the KHL. Rinaldo played a grand total of 9 minutes on the PK in 52 games last season.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
RE: Rinaldo - One would hope.

Kempe seems like a more ideal 12/13F as he can PK or even slot up due to injury since he has experience on scoring lines in the KHL. Rinaldo played a grand total of 9 minutes on the PK in 52 games last season.
Yeah the choice for 13 forward seems clear, kempe makes a lot more sense.
Jabok huh, how does that slip through?

Lol I didn't notice at all.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Interesting waiver list today. Hathaway, Di Giuseppe, Reichel or Jurco are reliable forwards. Would add some much needed size and grit to the 4th line. Hathaway had a really good camp for Calgary. The other ones not so much but they're still young. I could see all of them in a PK role, too.

On defense there are two interesting righties with Murphy and Sproul. Both once highly regarded top prospects. Never quite worked out and both would be projects of course but they're easily better than Clendening. Especially Sproul is interesting. Huge issues in terms of positioning but good size and lots of offensive upside. Would help the PP immediately. Just 24 years. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody takes a chance on him.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
Id guess Strome is the one going to be cut. He'll get 1st line time in the AHL. Kempe and Rinaldo as 13th and 14th forwards.

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Perlini - Dvorak - Duclair
Crouse - Richardson - Rieder
Martinook - Cousins - Fischer
Kempe/Rinaldo

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Id guess Strome is the one going to be cut. He'll get 1st line time in the AHL. Kempe and Rinaldo as 13th and 14th forwards.

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Kempe/Rinaldo

I agree, Strome gets sent down. He can get way more minutes in the AHL, rather then very few minutes in the NHL or a healthy scratch.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Interesting waiver list today. Hathaway, Di Giuseppe, Reichel or Jurco are reliable forwards. Would add some much needed size and grit to the 4th line. Hathaway had a really good camp for Calgary. The other ones not so much but they're still young. I could see all of them in a PK role, too.

On defense there are two interesting righties with Murphy and Sproul. Both once highly regarded top prospects. Never quite worked out and both would be projects of course but they're easily better than Clendening. Especially Sproul is interesting. Huge issues in terms of positioning but good size and lots of offensive upside. Would help the PP immediately. Just 24 years. I wouldn't be shocked if somebody takes a chance on him.
You never cease to make me scratch my head. You're a clever guy, but I can never fully figure out where you're coming from. Your opinions are very unique. You seem very informed but your opinions are most definitely yours and yours alone from what I've seen.

For example, Phil Di Giuseppe and Tomas Jurco havent played a combined two minutes of NHL PK time in their combined NHL careers. Both have always been seen as offense first wingers with defensive issues. Why would either suddenly develop any kind of PK ability now that they're in their mid twenties? It's like saying we should've traded for Yakupov to fix our PK. Wild.

By what metric could you consider Sproul or Murphy "easily better" than Clendening? I strongly disagree. Their AHL numbers suggest Clendening is by far the more effective power play weapon. I believe their NHL metrics show that Clendening is clearly the vastly superior possession player. Eyeball test shows both Sproul and Murphy as blunder machines. Clendening also has issues there but those two are live grenades on the ice.

I

rt

May 13, 2004

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Kempe/Rinaldo

I'd cut Kempe and Rinaldo both and drop Cousins down to that 13th F spot. Slide Richardson down one and insert Strome into that spot behind Dvorka.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
You never cease to make me scratch my head. You're a clever guy, but I can never fully figure out where you're coming from. Your opinions are very unique. You seem very informed but your opinions are most definitely yours and yours alone from what I've seen.

For example, Phil Di Giuseppe and Tomas Jurco havent played a combined two minutes of NHL PK time in their combined NHL careers. Both have always been seen as offense first wingers with defensive issues. Why would either suddenly develop any kind of PK ability now that they're in their mid twenties? It's like saying we should've traded for Yakupov to fix our PK. Wild.

By what metric could you consider Sproul or Murphy "easily better" than Clendening? I strongly disagree. Their AHL numbers suggest Clendening is by far the more effective power play weapon. I believe their NHL metrics show that Clendening is clearly the vastly superior possession player. Eyeball test shows both Sproul and Murphy as blunder machines. Clendening also has issues there but those two are live grenades on the ice.

I

That's why I wrote "I could see them". Btw. You're right that they weren't PK regulars in the NHL so far but your numbers are just wrong. You can do better I'm sure:D
If you knew Jurco you'd know that he played excellent hockey under Babcock who used him mainly in a shutdown role. Blashill clearly didn't value him the way Babcock did and I thought that a fresh start in Chicago would help him. I don't know what went wrong there. But as a matter of fact, the Blackhawks just recently gave up a 3rd for him. He's a big body who's not afraid to use it. He has crazy skills and played decent NHL hockey for a season and more. I'd take that guy for free any day of the week.

Regarding Sproul I know that he's terrible. Big defenders usually need a lot of time though and his issues aren't related to skating which often is the case and the hardest thing to come by. His problems are between the ears. Nothing that couldn't be fixed. Not that the Coyotes would risk anything but waiving Clendening. I'd be shocked if he'd get claimed at that point. He's really bad.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Domi - Stepan - Keller
Kempe/Rinaldo

Why should Strome be the one sent down? I mean, you could be right, but he was tied for 4th in scoring, having more points than Dvorak or Perlini, had the highest FO% with anyone over 40 draws, again beating Dvorak while playing less TOI. Also, you have Duclair as our second RW. Why? I really like Duke, but come on, he has been outplayed by almost every RW we had during the preseason. None of us have any idea who will be sent down, but I keep Strome and send Rinaldo down.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd cut Kempe and Rinaldo both and drop Cousins down to that 13th F spot. Slide Richardson down one and insert Strome into that spot behind Dvorka.

I could live with that, but I may keep Kempe over Duclair. I have been disappointed with Duclair.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I will be very dissapointed if Strome is sent down. I am ok with him getting 10 minutes a night on the 4th line to start and getting some PP time and let him earn more icetime by the halfway mark. I would prefer to give him really good linemates (Domi) and put him in offensive situations but that is not too likely.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I think Strome has earned a crack at the opening night roster with scoring linemates. I'd rather see him play on the 1st line in the AHL than the 4th line in the NHL. We should be rolling 3 scoring lines (basically with a clear "top" line but no clear or obvious distinction between "2nd" and "3rd" line; each getting more or less ice time per game depending on merit) so as long as he's not centering the 4th line it won't really matter.

Another thing I'd like to see is consistent line combinations instead of throwing darts at balloons after every period.

Reactions: SniperHF

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I will be very dissapointed if Strome is sent down. I am ok with him getting 10 minutes a night on the 4th line to start and getting some PP time and let him earn more icetime by the halfway mark. I would prefer to give him really good linemates (Domi) and put him in offensive situations but that is not too likely.

It's between him and Keller and Keller obviously finally played a few good games. I didn't get to see it but that's what people say. Also, Keller is winger which makes it easier to take a chance. Everybody else would have to go through waiver if I'm not wrong. They're mostly PK guys anyway and you can't send one of them away if you need more of them. Also don't think they're ready to give up on Duclair quite yet. Not likely that he'd get claimed but it's entirely possible.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I could live with that, but I may keep Kempe over Duclair. I have been disappointed with Duclair.

You'd risk to lose Duclair for nothing? I'd probably do it but only to acquire a better player...not to keep one more prospect up.

I'd still suggest to send Duclair and a pick to Columbus for Anderson if they're willing to do that.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You'd risk to lose Duclair for nothing? I'd probably do it but only to acquire a better player...not to keep one more prospect up.

I'd still suggest to send Duclair and a pick to Columbus for Anderson if they're willing to do that.

I thought I read that Duclair can still be sent down without us having the risk of losing him?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I thought I read that Duclair can still be sent down without us having the risk of losing him?

I'm no expert but I don't see how that should work. You tell me please.
While he didn't play 160 games yet he still signed his first contract in 2013 meaning nothing else but that the 16/17 season was his fourth. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but in my view, Duclair absolutely is waiver eligible and I think it would be extremely dumb to put him on waivers just to keep a prospect up.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's why I wrote "I could see them". Btw. You're right that they weren't PK regulars in the NHL so far but your numbers are just wrong. You can do better I'm sure:D
If you knew Jurco you'd know that he played excellent hockey under Babcock who used him mainly in a shutdown role. Blashill clearly didn't value him the way Babcock did and I thought that a fresh start in Chicago would help him. I don't know what went wrong there. But as a matter of fact, the Blackhawks just recently gave up a 3rd for him. He's a big body who's not afraid to use it. He has crazy skills and played decent NHL hockey for a season and more. I'd take that guy for free any day of the week.

Regarding Sproul I know that he's terrible. Big defenders usually need a lot of time though and his issues aren't related to skating which often is the case and the hardest thing to come by. His problems are between the ears. Nothing that couldn't be fixed. Not that the Coyotes would risk anything but waiving Clendening. I'd be shocked if he'd get claimed at that point. He's really bad.

My numbers aren't wrong. PDG and Jurco have played less than a combined 5mins PK total in their NHL careers. I'm going to need a link to the Babcock using Jurco in a shut down role. I remember the opposite. His inability to back check is what I remember being the reason why he couldn't stick in the NHL (and he still can't). I'm sorry but I believe you are mistaken on the Babcock trusted Jurco in a shut down role thing. This is like saying "Well, if Duclair can't ever figure out how to score again, he could always be a shut-down PK winger". He can't. He won't. Not gonna happen.

RE: Sproul, I would argue that between the ears problems are by far the hardest to fix. He's an elite athlete but I don't think he's an NHLer. I suspect the league agrees and he's headed to the AHL for the year.

RE: Clendening, where are you getting this from? Rangers fans were all extremely complimentary. His advanced metrics are all glowing. His AHL PP production was eye popping. What are you basing this "really bad" idea from? Pre-season games? He put up 5pts in 5gp.

Try to back-up your opinions a little. I know you have them. I engaged with you because I wanted to see you support these ideas. I find them interesting but conversations with you often feel like a parent telling a child "because I said so".

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
My numbers aren't wrong. PDG and Jurco have played less than a combined 5mins PK total in their NHL careers. I'm going to need a link to the Babcock using Jurco in a shut down role. I remember the opposite. His inability to back check is what I remember being the reason why he couldn't stick in the NHL (and he still can't). I'm sorry but I believe you are mistaken on the Babcock trusted Jurco in a shut down role thing. This is like saying "Well, if Duclair can't ever figure out how to score again, he could always be a shut-down PK winger". He can't. He won't. Not gonna happen.

RE: Sproul, I would argue that between the ears problems are by far the hardest to fix. He's an elite athlete but I don't think he's an NHLer. I suspect the league agrees and he's headed to the AHL for the year.

RE: Clendening, where are you getting this from? Rangers fans were all extremely complimentary. His advanced metrics are all glowing. His AHL PP production was eye popping. What are you basing this "really bad" idea from? Pre-season games? He put up 5pts in 5gp.

Try to back-up your opinions a little. I know you have them. I engaged with you because I wanted to see you support these ideas. I find them interested but conversations with you often feel like a parent telling a child "because I said so".

If Clendening was that good he would have played not only when the badly banged up Girardi was almost dead. The Rangers had a very mediocre defense last season and Clendening couldn't even crack that one. Last season he was just as bad against the puck as Sproul from what I saw. What I saw during preseason just confirmed what I already knew. Almost always out of position and I'm not even talking about the scene when he got outmuscled by a midget...I thought he'd be a right handed version of Connauton but in fact he's probably not even that. Connauton was 10x better during preseason.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's between him and Keller and Keller obviously finally played a few good games. I didn't get to see it but that's what people say. Also, Keller is winger which makes it easier to take a chance. Everybody else would have to go through waiver if I'm not wrong. They're mostly PK guys anyway and you can't send one of them away if you need more of them. Also don't think they're ready to give up on Duclair quite yet. Not likely that he'd get claimed but it's entirely possible.

Keller finally played a few good games? What exactly are you suggesting were bad games he's played?

rt

May 13, 2004
If Clendening was that good he would have played not only when the badly banged up Girardi was almost dead. The Rangers had a very mediocre defense last season and Clendening couldn't even crack that one. From what I saw he's just as bad against the puck as Sproul. What I saw during preseason just confirmed what I already knew. Almost always out of position and I'm not even talking about the scene when he got outmuscled by a midget...I thought he'd be a right handed version of Connauton but in fact he's probably not even that. Connauton was 10x better during preseason.
Never met a sample size too small, eh?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Strome needs to stay and be in the opening night lineup. It would be a wildly inappropriate message to send otherwise. We have a very shiny new toy in Keller, but had he not put up the preseason he had, we would all be talking about how Strome looks ready for that 3C spot. He doesnt have to stay, but he should start.

Sending Duke down would be a hell of a message, but I'd rather see if he can come out guns ablazing. Unless there is are waiver issues I would findit hard to send him down now.

I take it Kempe needs to clear waivers. I wouldnt be terribly concerned about losing him to another team, and wouldnt really care if we did. He came in and created competition, if thats all he does for this organization so be it. He may be a RW Martinook at tops, this isnt going to be missing out on TyJo 2.0.

Rinaldo is a dirty player. But man do I not want any if the kids pulling a Domi, nor do I want OEL feeling like he needs to step up all the time. Doan and Hanzal are gone, we need someone besides Crouse and Cousins to keep guys honest. I dont mind him as the extra.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Strome needs to stay and be in the opening night lineup. It would be a wildly inappropriate message to send otherwise. We have a very shiny new toy in Keller, but had he not put up the preseason he had, we would all be talking about how Strome looks ready for that 3C spot. He doesnt have to stay, but he should start.

Sending Duke down would be a hell of a message, but I'd rather see if he can come out guns ablazing. Unless there is are waiver issues I would findit hard to send him down now.

I take it Kempe needs to clear waivers. I wouldnt be terribly concerned about losing him to another team, and wouldnt really care if we did. He came in and created competition, if thats all he does for this organization so be it. He may be a RW Martinook at tops, this isnt going to be missing out on TyJo 2.0.

Rinaldo is a dirty player. But man do I not want any if the kids pulling a Domi, nor do I want OEL feeling like he needs to step up all the time. Doan and Hanzal are gone, we need someone besides Crouse and Cousins to keep guys honest. I dont mind him as the extra.

Grimes keepin it grimey. Couldn't have said it better. This +100

Reactions: Grimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad