2017-2018 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We're allowed to discuss other things, this is the news around the NHL thread. And it's funny that some of us had to put up with the crying about Gudbranson and Kulikov crying all last year when this is much worse.
We had a thread for those two (/defence in general), this March/Smith moaning is happening in every thread that's even remotely related to them. Have you not noticed how every GDT after a loss turns into the same moaning about the expansion draft? Hell, even when we win it still sometimes turns into that.

Guds/Kuli was worse during the 2016 offseason compared to March/Smith during the 2017 offseason, but during the season it's not even a competition. We're halfway through the season and I can guarantee there's already been more *****ing about about this year than last year through the whole season.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I know we got space back but I find it extremely hard to believe this was the only avenue but DT is our GM.

Rich statement considering we gave away a 30 goal scorer on a 750K contract. Giving away the best value in the league shows you have absolutely no concept of the cost of salary cap.

:huh:

We had to get rid of Smith's 5 million dollar contract, not March's contract. He was the sweetener, for a millionth time.

Good try though.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
:huh:

We had to get rid of Smith's 5 million dollar contract, not March's contract. He was the sweetener, for a millionth time.

Good try though.
This was most likely not the only option and if you have an internal cap, you don't trade the guy who is the best value in the league. There isn't one player who dollar per point was a better value than March. Do you realize how stupid that is for DT to trade him?

Smith's contract was fair market value.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Emrick, Milbury and McGuire...What a crapshooot!

And Brian Boucher is not there who is clearly better than McIdiot

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reading Friedman's newest 31 Thoughts: <<<<Click here

#26,27 and 28 are about the Panthers and Boughner's comments. Not sure if everyone heard/seen them? Thought I'd share.

Also #2,5 and 6 spoke to me a bit.

#2- Should we have a game in Finland (possibly 2019-2020) when Borgstrom and Hepo make the team? That's 3 big name Finns including Barkov like mentioned by Elliote in NSH and CAR game he proposed.

#5 and 6 - I really hope Tallon is working the phones about Hoffman. Looks like OTT will be forced to protect the 2018 1st round pick since it looks to be a top ten leaving them no control over the 2019 pick which they would lose to COL.

Would we be able to benefit and give them Arizona's 2nd we own this year, our 2019 1st + a prospect or two + Vrbata (cap dump). Would you do it? Use the 2018 1st to draft a defenseman. Use the 2018 3rd to draft a goalie/winger.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellyr

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
IMO Panthers aren't going to play in Finland until the new arena in Tampere is ready and that is projected to be 2021.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Actually I have my eye on Pacioretty. Year after under contract but he could be a fine piece in the top 6/9 depending on Borg and how he turns pro.

Hoffman will likely get the moon but I think a better deal can be had for Patvhes

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
^You guys are nuts. You want the Panthers to play in Finland with Barkov's celebrity status?

That building is going to each seat twice and Viola might get tempted to move the team there.

But hey....at least maybe we can spend that extra 10 million again :D

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
Looks like Mayfield who seems to be a 7D on the Isles just signed a 5 year contract extension....Worth 1.45 on avg per year

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Florida vs. Winnipeg would make sense. Assuming both Barkov and Laine are playing for respective teams!
We could also have Haapala and Repo, but you never know. Three years is a long time for NHL players, a lot could change.

^You guys are nuts. You want the Panthers to play in Finland with Barkov's celebrity status?

That building is going to each seat twice and Viola might get tempted to move the team there.

But hey....at least maybe we can spend that extra 10 million again :D
The new arena only fits around 11k actually. Helsinki is 13.5k-ish.

Tbh Barkov is getting to the point where he's "too old" to draw attention. Laine/Aho/Puljujarvi are the easiest clickbait players and thus the media revolves around them.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Would his or our pride allow for a midseason reunion?
Not just us, but I feel the ship has sailed for him with NHL hockey. The speed is getting faster & faster by the season and Jagr is only getting older & slower.

Safe to say we can bury that "HB can't produce without Jagr / won't be as successful without Jagr" axe. HB both almost PPG and Jagr on his way out of the league.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Not just us, but I feel the ship has sailed for him with NHL hockey. The speed is getting faster & faster by the season and Jagr is only getting older & slower.

Safe to say we can bury that "HB can't produce without Jagr / won't be as successful without Jagr" axe. HB both almost PPG and Jagr on his way out of the league.
Wasn't it more about HB needing a proper RW partner though? Yes they're producing (and they're great), but that 1RW spot is still somewhat in the air. We've tried Dadonov and Bjugstad, both have worked to a point but neither is exactly the ideal solution.
(Not saying Jagr should be on the top line, I agree that ship has sailed.)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Wasn't it more about HB needing a proper RW partner though? Yes they're producing (and they're great), but that 1RW spot is still somewhat in the air. We've tried Dadonov and Bjugstad, both have worked to a point but neither is exactly the ideal solution.
Correct. Nobody has been as good of a fit as Jagr.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
There was some people (media too), who questioned moving on from Jagr because of the chemistry between those three and how it would affect HB performance. Yes, a permanent fix for that RW still remains as a mystery, but HB have proven that they're good enough on their own that they don't need great chemistry with the third wheel and can still put up numbers.

Correct. Nobody has been as good of a fit as Jagr.
It was more of that HB adapted to the game Jagr was able to play, than Jagr playing up to HB's full potential.

You can see this year how much more free they are to operate, when they aren't chained down to one type of offense.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
There was some people (media too), who questioned moving on from Jagr because of the chemistry between those three and how it would affect HB performance. Yes, a permanent fix for that RW still remains as a mystery, but HB have proven that they're good enough on their own that they don't need great chemistry with the third wheel and can still put up numbers.

It was more of that HB adapted to the game Jagr was able to play, than Jagr playing up to HB's full potential.

You can see this year how much more free they are to operate, when they aren't chained down to one type of offense.
I don't ever think Jagr made that line, HB are way too good on their own to be a result of Jagr. Jagr was a nice piece that fit well.

I think the problem is that Huby and Barkov both have extremely high hockey IQs and nobody else on the team can cycle and maintain possession like they can, move the puck at their level, etc., even Tro isn't a good fit for them.

Jagr was able to mesh well and allow that line to dominate possession and completely run circles around other teams in the o-zone because of his IQ and cycle game which matched well with HB.

Even with Hubs and Barkov this year we don't see that line dominate possession as much like we did when they had Jagr. HB are good enough without Jagr but we need either a Jagr type (rare/non existent) or a legit trigger man with high hockey IQ (Borg (might be better fit with Tro)? Tippet?(trigger man) Hepo (not a trigger man but he can shoot and his iq is stellar))?.

To be fair, not many teams have three legit first line players on one line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad