Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From The Athletic

The Wild recalled Kunin, Ferraro, Zack Mitchell and Christoph Bertschy for the game. They were all reassigned to Iowa after the game with no games until Friday in Winnipeg. Defenseman Mike Reilly was reassigned to ensure the minimum roster total, and injured Zach Parise, Mikael Granlund and Marcus Foligno should be able to at least practice this week.

Reilly back up, the other 4 back down... Coyle off the cap... this is cap space building!

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's been talked about, somewhat jokingly on here, that the Wild should move Dumba to a winger position. But if none of Foligno, Granny, or Parise can play the next game maybe it should be tried.

Olofsson and Darby Hendrickson were the 4th line when today's practice started. After Parise went off the ice, Olofsson ended up on Staal's wing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He was always a solid 6/7 guy, nothing more really for us. I never really saw his ceiling higher than a #5 guy. Glad to hear he's doing well so far.

He played really well to start the season last year, then got injured. He never regained his early season groove. I liked him, just a solid stay at home d-man with some size. #4D paired with a Krug/Barrie type of partner could end up being a good fit.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
It's been talked about, somewhat jokingly on here, that the Wild should move Dumba to a winger position. But if none of Foligno, Granny, or Parise can play the next game maybe it should be tried.

Olofsson and Darby Hendrickson were the 4th line when today's practice started. After Parise went off the ice, Olofsson ended up on Staal's wing.

How about a "Play on the Wild's 4th line Promotion!!". Bring 10 canned good items and your skates the next home game!!

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Folin makes 850K as a number 5/6 guy who can play a physical game and doesn't panic with the puck. In the same role, the Wild are paying Olofsson (who still looks very raw/marginal material on a contender) 725K and Quincey 1.25M (he's been fine). I can see both sides of it, but for Fletcher to complain about the lack of physicality and then lose Folin for nothing seems like unclear asset management at best. Another case of overpaying an asset (Folin on a learning curve, Pominville on a decline) and then getting an underwhelming return.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, losing RHD Folin at that price didn't make much sense to me. I believe that Olofsson has more upside than either Folin or Quincey, though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm pretty sure the Folin/Quincey thing was them not wanting to rely on 3 young players to round out the defense. If two or three of them struggle (which we've seen Reilly and Folin do in the past, and Olofsson do now), we wouldn't really have anywhere to turn. Quincey is at least a veteran NHL player; I think the coaches/org were a little more comfortable relying on him to not bottom out to a sub-NHL level.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Folin makes 850K as a number 5/6 guy who can play a physical game and doesn't panic with the puck. In the same role, the Wild are paying Olofsson (who still looks very raw/marginal material on a contender) 725K and Quincey 1.25M (he's been fine). I can see both sides of it, but for Fletcher to complain about the lack of physicality and then lose Folin for nothing seems like unclear asset management at best. Another case of overpaying an asset (Folin on a learning curve, Pominville on a decline) and then getting an underwhelming return.

Well, in the case of Folin, that "overpayment" was a max ELC contract because he was a top college FA. I don't blame Fletcher for signing him to that, because that was the asking price on him and any team not meeting it had no chance to sign him. The problem laid in that Fletcher assumed Folin would need a raise, and possibly also in that Folin thought he could get one. When Folin had waited long enough and had no offers from anyone for a pay raise, he took the pay he could get from whoever offered it. By then the Wild had signed Quincey to fill his roll, so it wasn't from us. Maybe Fletcher should have waited him out, but there was no guarantee that he would re-sign here, and then maybe the other defensemen you're interested in are all gone. Hard to fault Fletcher for playing it safe with the bottom RD spot on defense.

Like Doc Itor said, it's also possible he just didn't trust Folin's capabilities down there as much as Quincey's. Folin had a pretty rough second half last season, and that was the impression he left with.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Folin did sign on July 1st (first day of free agency), so there wasn't much waiting around. I wouldn't have minded him coming back to the Wild. I was actually surprised they didn't resign him, and cohase to go with an offhanded option for the 3rd pairing.

Quincey seems fine so far, and if he and Reilly can get a Dumba/Leopold type of chemistry it'll be a big win for MN.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Folin wasn't going to sign here for that... his QO had to be higher, the Wild didn't want to pay him as high as his QO was, so they didn't qualify him. He didn't want to play here on a pay cut.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well, in the case of Folin, that "overpayment" was a max ELC contract because he was a top college FA. I don't blame Fletcher for signing him to that, because that was the asking price on him and any team not meeting it had no chance to sign him. The problem laid in that Fletcher assumed Folin would need a raise, and possibly also in that Folin thought he could get one. When Folin had waited long enough and had no offers from anyone for a pay raise, he took the pay he could get from whoever offered it. By then the Wild had signed Quincey to fill his roll, so it wasn't from us. Maybe Fletcher should have waited him out, but there was no guarantee that he would re-sign here, and then maybe the other defensemen you're interested in are all gone. Hard to fault Fletcher for playing it safe with the bottom RD spot on defense.

Like Doc Itor said, it's also possible he just didn't trust Folin's capabilities down there as much as Quincey's. Folin had a pretty rough second half last season, and that was the impression he left with.
Couldn't be more wrong.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Couldn't be more wrong.
About which part? Parts are right and parts are wrong, definitely.

I didn't realize that he signed with LA so quickly, so that was wrong, sure. My fault for not fact checking and getting the full story before posting. Knowing all the facts around the situation now, I'm more under the impression than I was before that Fletcher just didn't trust Folin's game to be the RD full time on that bottom pairing. I can't blame him for that, because Folin was not great last season after his injury.

I'm not sure any of the rest is incorrect, unless there's something out there to support that it is. I maintain that we signed him as a college free agent for as cheaply as he could be signed. Philly was in on him along with us, and before he narrowed it down to us or them, he had other offers, too. All of those offers were max ELC. I certainly wouldn't give him a pay raise from that contract if I were Fletcher, knowing what we all know now. I mean, was he overpaid? I guess in hindsight, but that's what top college free agents go for every single season. I certainly don't want Fletcher to not sign and slightly overpay a college free agent, just because he might not quite be worth his contract.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
About which part? Parts are right and parts are wrong, definitely.

I didn't realize that he signed with LA so quickly, so that was wrong, sure. My fault for not fact checking and getting the full story before posting. Knowing all the facts around the situation now, I'm more under the impression than I was before that Fletcher just didn't trust Folin's game to be the RD full time on that bottom pairing. I can't blame him for that, because Folin was not great last season after his injury.

I'm not sure any of the rest is incorrect, unless there's something out there to support that it is. I maintain that we signed him as a college free agent for as cheaply as he could be signed. Philly was in on him along with us, and before he narrowed it down to us or them, he had other offers, too. All of those offers were max ELC. I certainly wouldn't give him a pay raise from that contract if I were Fletcher, knowing what we all know now. I mean, was he overpaid? I guess in hindsight, but that's what top college free agents go for every single season. I certainly don't want Fletcher to not sign and slightly overpay a college free agent, just because he might not quite be worth his contract.
Folin wasn't coming off of his ELC

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo posted this in the comments for the article about Parise, referring to why he's not currently on ltir or even just ir...

LTIR means nothing. They have the cap space with Coyle on lti. LTI is just a paper move to get cap space. If they have three more injuries, they’d probably need more cap space and could lti him. They don’t even have him on IR because it’s a paper thing and if they put him on IR they’d have to keep an extra body on roster. Hopefully that makes sense

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I dunno, that extra cap space might have been nice when they were running 11 /7 for a couple of games. I'd like to think a FWD callup would have been more useful than Olofsson getting 5 mins ToI. It also would have forced Parise to rest a little bit more and not keep tweaking it.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I dunno, that extra cap space might have been nice when they were running 11 /7 for a couple of games. I'd like to think a FWD callup would have been more useful than Olofsson getting 5 mins ToI. It also would have forced Parise to rest a little bit more and not keep tweaking it.

Sure, but than they wouldn't have been accruing cap space for later in the year. With a salary Parise's size, it only really makes sense to LTIR him if he's gone for the year and you know you're not going to have to need room for it later in the year when (if) he's healthy enough to play.

They could have just as easily swapped Reilly for Kunin or Ferraro at any time to get 12 forwards.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just a general whiny post about the season so far. The injuries I can accept. It's the bloody schedule. It's like the NHL designed a schedule for the Wild with the aim to keep their fans uninterested. What do we have, a game every 5 days? Carolina and CBJ as opponents?

Lame, lame, lame. Better to delay the start of the season than this diluted shit.

Reactions: Wild11MN

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Just a general whiny post about the season so far. The injuries I can accept. It's the bloody schedule. It's like the NHL designed a schedule for the Wild with the aim to keep their fans uninterested. What do we have, a game every 5 days? Carolina and CBJ as opponents?

Lame, lame, lame. Better to delay the start of the season than this diluted ****.
If we were healthy, i'd be irate about the schedule. By the time we play our 5th game, Chicago will have played double. It's bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad