2017-2018 Minnesota Wild General Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Reilly played in Winnipeg in the first preseason game...and will probably play in the next one I'm guessing. Very much in the mix to make the team.

In the mix might be a little strong. He's going to have yo drastically outplay Oloffson in order for the Wild to risk him on waivers.

Reilly and Soucy will be first pair in Iowa with their Waiver exemptions.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
In the mix might be a little strong. He's going to have yo drastically outplay Oloffson in order for the Wild to risk him on waivers.

Reilly and Soucy will be first pair in Iowa with their Waiver exemptions.

Yes, Reilly would have to out play Olofsson significantly, or, he would have to show he can be reliable on his off hand to make the regular lineup, WITH Olofsson, over Quincey.

He's likely the first call up player, and will lose his waiver eligibility sometime during the season himself too... He has only 23 or 24 games before he's eligible. I'd be surprised if he plays less NHL games this season than that.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yes, Reilly would have to out play Olofsson significantly, or, he would have to show he can be reliable on his off hand to make the regular lineup, WITH Olofsson, over Quincey.

He's likely the first call up player, and will lose his waiver eligibility sometime during the season himself too... He has only 23 or 24 games before he's eligible. I'd be surprised if he plays less NHL games this season than that.

I don't think the Wild will burn his waiver eligibility until late in the season, or a d-man is lost for the season. They tried to sneak Dalpe through waivers late in the year and lost him.

Murphy, Olofsson, Quincey are the bottom pair and pressbox d-men. Soucy, Seeler, whoever could get a callup before they burn the last of Reilly's waiver exemption.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently Winnik is making a strong case to be signed with the Wild. However, that means Stewart might be dropped.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Since Winnik is on a PTO, would it be correct to assume that he would sign for the $650K minimum, or does he wait it out for something better to materialize?

I see where St. Louis is expected to sign Scottie Upshall for $800K (he was on a PTO with Vancouver this year). Similar type role (4th line + PK). I know it's not much but never understood why teams offer guys who look like they are out of options more than the minimum.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
If a guy impresses at camp like Winnik has, a lot of times another team may be interested, or the player or team thinks another team may be interested, besides the one he's been playing for in camp. A player can only be in one camp (can't be in two places at once) so you can't really assume that the only team interested in him is the team he's been trying out with. It's possible nobody signed him in FA yet because they weren't sure what he'd look like this year, or because they weren't sure if they needed another 4th liner or not. I think the Wild could use him, personally. I'll bet the Blues, with all their injuries, were pretty happy to sign Upshall for 800k, especially if he played well. From their perspective, it may be worth it to them to pay a premium of $150k to make sure another team doesn't get him.

I think someone will sign Winnik, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's for more than league minimum.

Reactions: Teddy10Beers

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't even know the rules for players on a PTO. Can their agents talk to other teams about contracts? GMCF has been a pretty standup guy in the past with PTO's. He's lets guys go early that might have a chance of picking up somewhere else. It makes me think the Wild are going to sign him.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Parise isn’t close to being placed on long-term injured reserve. He’d have to miss 10 games and 24 days for the Wild to spend over the salary-cap ceiling, and the doctors and Parise aren’t at that point.

Here’s the problem: If the Wild suffer a short-term injury early in the season or a couple players come down with, say, the flu (heck, it’s the Wild, so it could be the mumps), the Wild technically wouldn’t have the cap space to recall another player.

If that were to happen early in the season, the Wild will invoke Rule 50.10(e) in the collective bargaining agreement.

It’s a rarely-used roster emergency exception that essentially allows cap-strapped teams to recall players without them counting toward the cap.

It would be triggered once the Wild were forced to play one game one player short. Once that were to occur, the Wild would be allowed to recall a player earning $750,000 or less ($100,000 more than the minimum NHL salary of $650,000).

https://theathletic.com/116356/2017...l-manage-the-cap-without-injured-zach-parise/

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Haula was named one of the 6 assistant captains in Vegas(3 home/3 road). Good for him. A spot he can take on some leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad