2017-2018 Minnesota Wild General Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I can't wait, tomorrow starts the beginning of a normal hockey schedule.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Interesting, Dumba with Suter in practice.

Fine by me, it seemed like Suter/Spurgeon were out there for the majority of goals against. Of course, that only means so much when the team's played a grand total of 35 seconds of hockey so far this season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Granlund out for both games this weekend, they want to give him the rest to ensure he can play ove the home stand starts.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Little worse than that. 88 goals. It shouldn't be long before Granlund is back. Nino in a couple weeks. I'm not super worried yet. Brodin-Dumba either needs to play better or be separated to Brodin-Olofsson, Quincey-Dumba. Hell, maybe even split up Suter-Spurgeon because they haven't been good either. 4 of our top 9 scorers out and team defense is the biggest issue. Unbelievable. I guess that shows the defensive value of a forward on the ice.

I thought Kunin looked better in his second game. Still looks small and slow. Whiffed on a golden scoring opportunity. Bobbles the puck a bit. Definitely needs work. I was kinda hoping he'd get to play with Koivu or Staal but he hasn't earned that yet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Granny can play, I think I'd like him on the 3rd line to start.
JEE/Staal/Foligno
Zucker/Koivu/Stewart
Granny/Cullen/Kunin
Winnik/???/Ennis

I've always liked Zucker and Stewie together, and Stewie has a hot hand right now. JEE and Foligno give the Staal line a lot of bulk. Granny hasn't played in awhile, and it'll limit his minutes some. It balances the top-9 out for 3 decent lines.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'm beginning to suspect that our young, up-and-coming defenders aren't as good as we think they are. Dumba had a particularly bad game last night.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Brodin's incapable of anchoring the 2nd pairing. He's getting worse and worse each year... :help:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He had his best year last year, so there's that...

It's no coincidence that whoever plays with Suter becomes the new Golden Boy.

The PK isn't too good, especially when Koivu is in the box. Cullen is decent, but we miss Granlund and Haula big time. Zucker is OK( though he over pursued big time on the 3rd goal) but I'd rather save him for offense.

AMostlyWildPerson

Jul 2, 2017
West Coast
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else really worried that we will get all of our 50 missing players back and think "YES!" only to continue our mostly losing trend? Cause i'm spooked, if they don't light it up when they all get back, this lame early schedule doesn't benefit us anymore. I do think we will be much better with a full team, but after last night I was just thinking.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brodin's incapable of anchoring the 2nd pairing. He's getting worse and worse each year... :help:

Hard to blame Brodin for Dumba's bonehead plays last night. He and Dumba just don't read each other very well. They might be best buds off the ice, but on the ice there isn't much chemistry.

The lack of wing support is really killing the Wild in the d-zone. They get hemmed in their zone because the wings can't get the puck out of the zone when they have a chance.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just out of curiosity, is anyone else really worried that we will get all of our 50 missing players back and think "YES!" only to continue our mostly losing trend? Cause i'm spooked, if they don't light it up when they all get back, this lame early schedule doesn't benefit us anymore. I do think we will be much better with a full team, but after last night I was just thinking.

The team looks has been in preseason mode. The injuries hurt, but the team (as a whole) doesn't seem to have the compete level needed for NHL games. I think it'll get better during the homestand. The players should get into the normal rhythm of the season. Remember last year, teams were bad the first game after their bye week.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hard to blame Brodin for Dumba's bonehead plays last night. He and Dumba just don't read each other very well. They might be best buds off the ice, but on the ice there isn't much chemistry.

The lack of wing support is really killing the Wild in the d-zone. They get hemmed in their zone because the wings can't get the puck out of the zone when they have a chance.
Brodin made the bigger mistake on both of the goals last night. Dumba was pretty bad last night, but Brodin has been the worst dman on the roster since the start of pre-season.

Reactions: THE JAM

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Zucker fan here, looking for a scouting report and 17/18 season player grade (thus far) on Zucker. Dynasty league owner fyi. Thanks!

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Zucker fan here, looking for a scouting report and 17/18 season player grade (thus far) on Zucker. Dynasty league owner fyi. Thanks!
A.

He's been the best player on the ice for us so far this year, which is needed without Parise/Nino/Coyle/Granlund. Really playing great hockey right now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brodin made the bigger mistake on both of the goals last night. Dumba was pretty bad last night, but Brodin has been the worst dman on the roster since the start of pre-season.

Brodin was playing the proper position on both goals.

Ehlers goal: Brodin shadowed Little all the way across the slot. Stewie had Enstrom pushed to the outside and behind the goal line. Dumba had Ehlers tied up on the back door. Staal was in position to cut and pass to the point, or pick up Enstrom as he came from behind the net, or cover net front if Dumba took Enstrom as he came from behind the net. Dumba broke off from his position for no reason.

Wheeler goal: Brodin kept Conner to the outside. Koivu had the trailer covered. Dumba had a hard charging Wheeler. Wheeler got behind Dumba and cut across the crease. It was a perfect sauce pass, and Dumba had to stop and start backwards to try and match Wheeler's speed. Dumba was full bore going headed out of the d-zone instead of lagging back and playing it safe on a bad zone exit.

Not trying to say Brodin was great last night, he was rather invisible.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I'm actually fairly optimistic with how we played under the circumstances. I could see us struggling early and then running off 16 or 17 wins in 20 games once everyone is healthy (assuming everyone gets and stays healthy).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Leaving Ehlers completely alone in front of the net is the bigger mistake, as is letting Wheeler fly by you towards the net. 2nd one is more of a physical thing (getting caught flat footed, plus Wheeler can fly) but the 1st is all mental.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Leaving Ehlers completely alone in front of the net is the bigger mistake, as is letting Wheeler fly by you towards the net. 2nd one is more of a physical thing (getting caught flat footed, plus Wheeler can fly) but the 1st is all mental.
1st goal- puck goes down to the corner, Brodin either needs to be on the puck or in front of the net. He's standing still on the faceoff dot. puck starts to move behind the net, Brodin either needs to be on the puck or moving to the front of the net. He's standing on the faceoff dot. Dumba has to decide to pressure the puck or stay with the guy in front. He makes the wrong choice, but guess where Brodin still is? When guys don't do their jobs, it becomes impossible for others to do theirs.

2nd goal- Both guys basically make the same mistake, it's just that Dumba is supposed to, or at least is allowed to make his. He's the weakside Dman breaking out and he's also the "offensive" dman that is asked to jump into the rush like that. Brodin being on the strong side is the guy that's supposed to ensure that nobody is behind him if things go bad. He's also the guy who gets beat to the dot and then doesn't even get his stick anywhere near the passing lane.

Dumba hasn't been good, but reading all of the comments about how he's the one bringing Brodin down is just moronic. The Suter/Dumba experiment by BB isn't to try and shelter Dumba, it's for Brodin. The only problem has been that Spurgeon isn't good enough to cover for Brodin.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
1st goal- puck goes down to the corner, Brodin either needs to be on the puck or in front of the net. He's standing still on the faceoff dot. puck starts to move behind the net, Brodin either needs to be on the puck or moving to the front of the net. He's standing on the faceoff dot. Dumba has to decide to pressure the puck or stay with the guy in front. He makes the wrong choice, but guess where Brodin still is? When guys don't do their jobs, it becomes impossible for others to do theirs.

Change then names of Dumba to Suter and Brodin to Spurgeon. That's a normal d-zone coverage cycle for Minny.
2nd goal- Both guys basically make the same mistake, it's just that Dumba is supposed to, or at least is allowed to make his. He's the weakside Dman breaking out and he's also the "offensive" dman that is asked to jump into the rush like that. Brodin being on the strong side is the guy that's supposed to ensure that nobody is behind him if things go bad. He's also the guy who gets beat to the dot and then doesn't even get his stick anywhere near the passing lane.

The pass floated over Brodin's stick. Yes, Dumba should be allowed to join the rush. But in that instance he shouldn't have been doing it. It as a sloppy zone clear and contested along the boards in the neutral zone. Him being the weak-side d-man there it's his job to be a free safety, even or behind the strong-side d-man. He should be reading the play and decide to go offensive or play a safer defense role. It's similar to deciding if weather or not to pinch in the o-zone. He read the play wrong.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Change then names of Dumba to Suter and Brodin to Spurgeon. That's a normal d-zone coverage cycle for Minny.

The pass floated over Brodin's stick. Yes, Dumba should be allowed to join the rush. But in that instance he shouldn't have been doing it. It as a sloppy zone clear and contested along the boards in the neutral zone. Him being the weak-side d-man there it's his job to be a free safety, even or behind the strong-side d-man. He should be reading the play and decide to go offensive or play a safer defense role. It's similar to deciding if weather or not to pinch in the o-zone. He read the play wrong.
There isn't a coach in the world who has a deffensive coverage that has both dmen and his center above the hasmarks when the puck is below the goaline. Simply doesn't work that way. Brodin fell asleep and got caught watching which in turn hung Dumba out to dry.

Your thoughts about which dmen should jump into the rush are just flat out wrong. The fact that he isn't out of the zone ahead of Brodin anyway, makes it irrelevant.

Reactions: THE JAM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad