2017-2018 Line Combos

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
What you are saying about the lines makes perfect sense, especially the top 3 lines, I could make an argument that Quine could be ahead of Chimera and Kulemin on the depth chart, or we can suit up Pulock as the 7th dman and carry 11 forwards

But Adam Pelech has been the best dman in the first 5 games, Pelech was a plus 3 in the Sharks game, he has been shutdown city so far... less mistakes than the other 5 dmen too,

The entire D as a whole except Mayfield (who is being sheltered) has been very meh, Pelech does not stand out to me. He's the most replaceable member of the D.

Yes so far I am most impressed with Pelech. He does not have high ceilings but his poise, smart and positioning are something Isles can use for a long time. He reminds me of a certain ex NHL D who played for Canucks and Kings who are solid defensively and also tried hard each shift. Every team can need a D like that. Having said that every player will have a few bad games during the season so not expecting him to play like that every game.

Isles need to give Pulock a few games this season to access where he may fit in their plan with CDH on his last contract year. They need to analyze if he is ready to be give a chance to earn a full time spot next season, be moved in a trade package or need more development. They also need to see which other RHD prospect in AHL or junior may surpass his growth and see if there maybe one available from another team with the right deal on the table.

Pelech and Mayfield both have, I think, ~50 NHL games on Pulock. Of course they're going to look better against NHL talent. It was a ridiculous decision to not call up Pulock last year to get him some time. If their plan is to keep him up all year and not play him like Matt Donovan or JF Berube then they're just ruining his career for no reason.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The entire D as a whole except Mayfield (who is being sheltered) has been very meh, Pelech does not stand out to me. He's the most replaceable member of the D.

Pelech and Mayfield both have, I think, ~50 NHL games on Pulock. Of course they're going to look better against NHL talent. It was a ridiculous decision to not call up Pulock last year to get him some time. If their plan is to keep him up all year and not play him like Matt Donovan or JF Berube then they're just ruining his career for no reason.

Pelech is the guy who keeps the puck in the offensive zone, at least 5 times in key situations in the Kings' game including the first goal. I think Pelech and Mayfield would be better shots on the PP then Leddy and Boychuk at this point.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Seems like a no brainer to call up Ho-Sang and slide Chimera down to the third line, but Bridgeport is playing in a 10:30am game against Lehigh Valley and Connor Jones (call up late last season) has been missing from the bench since the early first period so who knows honestly.

I doubt they would give Dal Colle a look since the injury is to a bottom six guy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Since the obvious answer is Ho-Sang, can we all agree that we'll be seeing another defenseman added to the roster?

Reactions: seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I've been waiting all year for...

Lee-Tavares-Bailey
Ladd-Barzal-Eberle
Nelson-Beauvillier-Ho-Sang

Personally prefer Beauvillier at center, but Nelson has been playing well this year so I'm not completely against it.

Reactions: xIsle

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
They'll probably want Jones to replace Kulemin on the PK, keep Chimmer with Nelson and Beau

SI

Feb 16, 2013
It makes sense that Quine would be ready to go with no need for a call up, but if the team did, then you can sit Chimera.

If Ho-Sang is not called up - the team can choose Bernier

I wouldn't be surprised by a Dal Colle call up - even if it just practicing, watching, and playing a game or so as a taster.
Might even help development.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
BY the way another Goal and Assist by Aho

Bport down 3-2

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Don't see any moves coming, other than Ho-Sang being sent down from his emergency call-up when Prince is ready to be activated off of IR (which I assume will lie within this threshold).

It's obvious they like having an NHL player like Ho-Sang in the minors until they are ABSOLUTELY needed.

Not saying I agree with it, but that's the sense I've gotten from this organization.

Isles1966

Oct 14, 2017
Beau could be the one sent down with Prince back, no waivers needed. May be beneficial to have him center the top line down there, and get some confidence in his offensive game plus working on the down low D-game. Until Prince gets hurt again anyway.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Do we need to make trades or are people happy with what we have now.

I've been listening to some podcasts and heard that Panarin is sucking it hard in CBJ...His value might still be high, but if we wait and he keeps slumping, I am willing to take a flyer on him. His contract ends at the end of next season....maybe at the TDL or at the draft?

I think he will play better under Weight's system than Tort's. He does carry a 6 mill cap hit though...so assets going the other way may not be expensive.

Thoughts?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Do we need to make trades or are people happy with what we have now.

I've been listening to some podcasts and heard that Panarin is sucking it hard in CBJ...His value might still be high, but if we wait and he keeps slumping, I am willing to take a flyer on him. His contract ends at the end of next season....maybe at the TDL or at the draft?

I think he will play better under Weight's system than Tort's. He does carry a 6 mill cap hit though...so assets going the other way may not be expensive.

Thoughts?

The team needs a #1 defenseman, as is tradition. Wouldn't mind another offensive threat being brought in either, a Kesler type of player.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
It really seems, by looking at the practice line today, that Quine is taking Beauvillier or Ho-Sang spot. Really dumb in my opinion. Imagine when Prince is going to be back : Beau and Ho-Sang to the AHL, I can feel it.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It really seems, by looking at the practice line today, that Quine is taking Beauvillier or Ho-Sang spot. Really dumb in my opinion. Imagine when Prince is going to be back : Beau and Ho-Sang to the AHL, I can feel it.

I don't know if you just have the "Youth Goggles" on, but Beauvillier honestly hasn't really looked good outside of a few games early in the year and Ho-Sang is still having issues with turnovers/long shifts/defensive play despite the impressive output.

Beauvillier is still at the stage in his development where he needs consistent ice time in a consistent role so I don't see why sending him to the AHL to get those two things would be a bad idea? Who gives a f*** if Quine/Prince are in and out of the lineup and playing different roles every other game.

But a top prospect former first rounder with upside cannot be f***ed with like that in my opinion. Those roles are for guys drafted twice and spent years in the minors (Quine) or guys we gave up a measly 3rd for (Prince).

And regarding Ho-Sang, his faults needs to be broken NOW, or they never will.

And since your brain doesn't appear to be working, can you please put yourself in Quine's shoes and realized he's played in TWO games and missed the entire preseason, so it's going to take him more than a f***ing handful of games to get his timing down. I would honestly reserve judgement until after the All-Star break on him at this point because of how much time he's missed.

God damnit some of you are so f***ing stupid and don't even bother thinking with your brain anymore.

Why do you want the team's top prospects getting jerked around at the NHL level??? Aren't these the guys we are supposed to be investing in for the future? We should putting them in the best situations to succeed, and that means giving them consistency in their roles and ice time, or demanding that they improve on their flaws in games where the team isn't getting hurt before they can be rewarded with NHL time.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Quine beau chimera prince Nelson in the bottom 6.... wow that’s bad. Was really hoping prince never played another game for this team. Guy is completley useless out there. At least Quine is good at faceoffs.

RE ho sang yeah he’s making mistakes but producing at a higher rate than a lot of the team so I’d keep him

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Let’s look at the 3rd line production so far this season.
I know there was some flip flopping of lines but for the most part I will list
Chimera, Beauvillier, Nelson, Ho Sang played for the most part on the 3rd line or is slated there.

It is safe to say the 3rd line needs improvement as they seem to be giving up a lot more goals than they are scoring in limited ice time than the other lines. Therefore I applaud trying Quine and/or Prince there. Beauvillier and Ho Sang can go to the AHL without waivers. They can play big minutes and get better/more confidence.

If you want to argue Ho Sang as responsible and trustworthy with his 1 goal 4 assists +1 and should be here, I think most including Doug Weight would argue the team needs better two-way play on the the third line desperately and that is not Ho Sangs strength at the moment.

For those complaining about the 4th line, it brings energy, is defensively responsible and is the only line that hits people which every team needs.

Chimera, Beauvillier, Nelson, Ho Sang averaging about 13 minutes
Line 3
8 goals
11 assists

Line 1 averaging about 18 minutes
Lee, JT, Bailey
25 goals
29 assists
+9

Line 2 averaging about 16 minutes
Ladd, Barzal, Eberle
12 goals
20 assists
+8

Line 4 averaging 13 minutes
Kulemin, Cizekas, Clutterbuck
7 goals
7 assists
+6

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know if you just have the "Youth Goggles" on, but Beauvillier honestly hasn't really looked good outside of a few games early in the year and Ho-Sang is still having issues with turnovers/long shifts/defensive play despite the impressive output.

Beauvillier is still at the stage in his development where he needs consistent ice time in a consistent role so I don't see why sending him to the AHL to get those two things would be a bad idea? Who gives a **** if Quine/Prince are in and out of the lineup and playing different roles every other game.

But a top prospect former first rounder with upside cannot be ****ed with like that in my opinion. Those roles are for guys drafted twice and spent years in the minors (Quine) or guys we gave up a measly 3rd for (Prince).

And regarding Ho-Sang, his faults needs to be broken NOW, or they never will.

And since your brain doesn't appear to be working, can you please put yourself in Quine's shoes and realized he's played in TWO games and missed the entire preseason, so it's going to take him more than a ****ing handful of games to get his timing down. I would honestly reserve judgement until after the All-Star break on him at this point because of how much time he's missed.

God damnit some of you are so ****ing stupid and don't even bother thinking with your brain anymore.

Why do you want the team's top prospects getting jerked around at the NHL level??? Aren't these the guys we are supposed to be investing in for the future? We should putting them in the best situations to succeed, and that means giving them consistency in their roles and ice time, or demanding that they improve on their flaws in games where the team isn't getting hurt before they can be rewarded with NHL time.

I think Beauvillier and Ho-Sang playing together puts them in the best position to succeed, as well as the team. If he's not playing with Ho-Sang, Eberle, or Barzal, maybe he should go to the minors. Weight can break those bad habits while Ho-Sang is up on the NHL roster, there's really no reason he can't. The problem with having Quine and Prince in the lineup instead of Beauvillier and Ho-Sang is that the bottom 6 is a disaster offensively then. It's just a black hole and that's not good for anybody.

Reactions: xIsle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad