2017-2018 Line Combos

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Our offense just doesn't cut it imo. After a decade of rebuilding our goal is to simply make the playoffs? Really? smh.

Just curious. Why do you not think the offense doesn’t cut it? We were 10th in goals for last season and we’ve upgraded from Strome to Eberle in our top six. Ho-Sang will get a full season, Beavillier has a year of experience and Barzal is looking solid thus far as well. Offense is the least of our concerns and is a big plus for us imo. Our issue is keeping the puck out our net.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Just curious. Why do you not think the offense doesn’t cut it? We were 10th in goals for last season and we’ve upgraded from Strome to Eberle in our top six. Ho-Sang will get a full season, Beavillier has a year of experience and Barzal is looking solid thus far as well. Offense is the least of our concerns and is a big plus for us imo. Our issue is keeping the puck out our net.

We were 28th on the powerplay, that's a serious concern. Eberle is a good player-but honestly he's a 50 point player-nice yes, but not a game changer.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We were 28th on the powerplay, that's a serious concern. Eberle is a good player-but honestly he's a 50 point player-nice yes, but not a game changer.

Why were we 28th on the PP though? I don't think it was because of lack of skill, I think the special teams is a lot to do with coaching to be honest..

I mean do you really think that there were that many teams that could ice a better 5 players out on the ice than the Islanders?

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

Just like YealryLottery said, I think the PP issues had more to do with the system rather than talent. We have the talent on offense to have a good PP. The system we were running was just awful. To much passing in the neutral zone and not creating enough chances.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I'm going to reserve any judgement on Pulock until he's no longer technically considered a rookie.

I know he's been seasoned well in the AHL, but you have to play in the NHL to learn how to play defense in the NHL.

Totally agree with this sentiment. He's going to have growing pains, almost all young defensemen do; we also need to keep in mind that he is not a complete product yet, he's still young.

Our offense just doesn't cut it imo. After a decade of rebuilding our goal is to simply make the playoffs? Really? smh.

I see where you're coming from, but I think this team has the firepower needed to win a few rounds if they make a savvy move at the deadline.

Evergreen

Who has been playing the points on your PP units? Is Leddy going to be playing PP1? (Yes, this is a fantasy question.)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Who has been playing the points on your PP units? Is Leddy going to be playing PP1? (Yes, this is a fantasy question.)

For now he is. Lee-Tavares-Eberle-Barzal-Leddy is #1 and Ladd-Nelson-Bailey-Ho-Sang-Pulock was #2

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
I wish we were playing Chimera over Kulemin, but I understand why. This would be the perfect time to trade Bailey and have Chimera play top-6 minutes with Ladd and Barzal.

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey
Beauvillier-Nelson-Ho-Sang
Kulemin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Chimera

Leddy-Boychuk
deHaan-Seidenberg
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech/Mayfield

Greiss
Halak

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Bailey is TDL at best.. This is his contract year. I don't think he will be moved...though, he may end up walking or resigned as depth.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
My Lines:

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Beauvillier-Barzal-Ho-Sang (put the kids together)
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Chimera

Leddy-Boychuk
deHaan-Seidenberg
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech/Mayfield

Halak
Greiss

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
as much as id love to
My Lines:

Lee-Tavares-Eberle
Beauvillier-Barzal-Ho-Sang (put the kids together)
Ladd-Nelson-Bailey
Chimera

Leddy-Boychuk
deHaan-Seidenberg
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech/Mayfield

Halak
Greiss

as much as id love to see the kids together i think separating barzal and ho sang makes us a much more dangerous team

Local290

Jun 28, 2016
I was at Northwell to get a jersey lettered today, so I stopped in and watched the practice.

Looks like Pulock-Pelech are the odd men out right now. He had CDH-Seidenberg and Hickey-Mayfield together.

Spent pretty much the whole time working on pp and Boychuck was the dman on pp2, which tells me Pulock will probably sit game 1. Either Hickey-Mayfield or Pulock-Pelech as 3rd pair.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I think the fact that Chimera is being benched shows that this coaching staff is paying attention and wants to ice the best guys they can each night. Chimera scored goals last year, but shot an unsustainably high shooting pct., well above his career norms, and was horrific defensively and had poor possession numbers. Instead of just seeing that he scored X goals and starting him (like Cappy might've done), he looked at the big picture and figured that Chimera's goals would regress this year and he'd still be poor in the all other areas just like he was last year.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
What roster move will likely be made when Quine returns? Too early, but any guesses?

I was confident it was Quine being waived but now I'm concerned that it's one of the waiver exempt. Beau, Barzal, JHS (believe he is waiver exempt).

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I think the fact that Chimera is being benched shows that this coaching staff is paying attention and wants to ice the best guys they can each night. Chimera scored goals last year, but shot an unsustainably high shooting pct., well above his career norms, and was horrific defensively and had poor possession numbers. Instead of just seeing that he scored X goals and starting him (like Cappy might've done), he looked at the big picture and figured that Chimera's goals would regress this year and he'd still be poor in the all other areas just like he was last year.

Except it's Ho-Sang being scratched tomorrow and Chimmer is playing

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Yea, I didn't expect that to happen (I don't think anyone else did either). Hopefully it's just a one game thing.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
So with Chimera in and JHS out, top 9 may look like:

Lee-JT-Ebs
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey
Beauvillier-Nelson-Chimera?

Looks much better with Ho-Sang in there...

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So with Chimera in and JHS out, top 9 may look like:

Lee-JT-Ebs
Ladd-Barzal-Bailey
Beauvillier-Nelson-Chimera?

Looks much better with Ho-Sang in there...

Yes, Chimera will be on the right wing with Beauvillier and Nelson on the third line.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Why were we 28th on the PP though? I don't think it was because of lack of skill, I think the special teams is a lot to do with coaching to be honest..

I mean do you really think that there were that many teams that could ice a better 5 players out on the ice than the Islanders?
It was skill, but not so much in the sense of overall talent level, but in the sense of how the talent was distributed on the team and on the PP.

Essentially, our PP was made insanely predictable due to having no righties that could do much of anything. This made the entire left side of our PP more or less useless, as we either had guys like Strome and Boychuk (and sometimes even Hamonic or Clutterbuck) or you have lefties like Bailey playing out of position on that side. IMO, this is where we felt the departure of the lost players from summer 2016 the hardest, as not having Okposo on the left half boards changed our PP dramatically. Opposing PKs could lean to the strong side without worrying about the weak side, and that makes PKing about as easy as PKing gets. When Ho-Sang got promoted to the first unit, the PP looked completely different and way more effective.

That said, this season, it looks like we'll have Eberle, Ho-Sang, Barzal and Pulock as the options to play the left side, and that looks e to be a pretty significant upgrade. I'd be shocked if our PP was anywhere near as bad as it was last season, though we'll see how much of an upgrade it proves to be.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
We have a fair amount of flexibility, especially considering Barzal is nowhere near a finished product.

No matter how unconventional it may be, Beauvillier-Cizikias-Ho-Sang looks like a force out there. I am no longer married to Casey and Cal playing together, I think Casey can really produce and drive a line with a creative speedy guy like Ho-Sang, his wizardry compliments Cizikas blue collar bulldog approach really well. Beau seems like a well rounded smart player who can adapt accordingly.

This could be the new "energy line", except instead of dishing out hits they punish opponents on the scoreboard....

YesCubed

Mar 2, 2015
Lee - Tavares - Bailey - Bring back one of the more successful lines for the Isles in recent history
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle - Give Barzal a winger who can actually score and one who might be able to score
Beauvillier - Nelson - Ho-Sang - (First Half) Nelson looks great with Ho-Sang so far, Beau and Nelson can switch spots if needed
Kulemin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck - The most expensive 4th line in hockey
Chimera

Leddy - Boychuk - They are best kept together imo
De Haan - Mayfield - I'm loving Mayfield more and more. I was wrong about him
Hickey - Pulock - Keep this line stapled with the JT line and I guarantee goals
Pelech, Seidenberg - I know it's going to be really hard for this team to swallow their pride and bench their 4 year deal man but he's not very good

Halak/Greiss - both are capable of stealing games and both are inconsistent. however they are good enough to win with

PP:
Lee - Tavares - Eberle - Ho-Sang - Pulock - Ho-Sang takes over Leddy's duties to break the puck in. Pulock's cannon is a threat and will open up space
Nelson - Barzal - Bailey - Beauvillier - Leddy - You can swap Beau with Ladd or even Boychuk if you prefer. This is obviously going to be a pass-heavy PP

PK:
Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Kulemin - Beauvillier
Ladd - Tavares - I don't know if we're still doing this JT on the PK thing but whatever. Swap JT with Nelson or Beauvillier if we aren't

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Lee - Tavares - Bailey - Bring back one of the more successful lines for the Isles in recent history
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle - Give Barzal a winger who can actually score and one who might be able to score
Beauvillier - Nelson - Ho-Sang - (First Half) Nelson looks great with Ho-Sang so far, Beau and Nelson can switch spots if needed
Kulemin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck - The most expensive 4th line in hockey
Chimera

Leddy - Boychuk - They are best kept together imo
De Haan - Mayfield - I'm loving Mayfield more and more. I was wrong about him
Hickey - Pulock - Keep this line stapled with the JT line and I guarantee goals
Pelech, Seidenberg - I know it's going to be really hard for this team to swallow their pride and bench their 4 year deal man but he's not very good

Halak/Greiss - both are capable of stealing games and both are inconsistent. however they are good enough to win with

PP:
Lee - Tavares - Eberle - Ho-Sang - Pulock - Ho-Sang takes over Leddy's duties to break the puck in. Pulock's cannon is a threat and will open up space
Nelson - Barzal - Bailey - Beauvillier - Leddy - You can swap Beau with Ladd or even Boychuk if you prefer. This is obviously going to be a pass-heavy PP

PK:
Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Kulemin - Beauvillier
Ladd - Tavares - I don't know if we're still doing this JT on the PK thing but whatever. Swap JT with Nelson or Beauvillier if we aren't

What you are saying about the lines makes perfect sense, especially the top 3 lines, I could make an argument that Quine could be ahead of Chimera and Kulemin on the depth chart, or we can suit up Pulock as the 7th dman and carry 11 forwards

But Adam Pelech has been the best dman in the first 5 games, Pelech was a plus 3 in the Sharks game, he has been shutdown city so far... less mistakes than the other 5 dmen too,

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Yes so far I am most impressed with Pelech. He does not have high ceilings but his poise, smart and positioning are something Isles can use for a long time. He reminds me of a certain ex NHL D who played for Canucks and Kings who are solid defensively and also tried hard each shift. Every team can need a D like that. Having said that every player will have a few bad games during the season so not expecting him to play like that every game.

Isles need to give Pulock a few games this season to access where he may fit in their plan with CDH on his last contract year. They need to analyze if he is ready to be give a chance to earn a full time spot next season, be moved in a trade package or need more development. They also need to see which other RHD prospect in AHL or junior may surpass his growth and see if there maybe one available from another team with the right deal on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->