2017-2018 Line Combos

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The team may start the season with Pulock out of the line-up, but he'll be built in slowly but surely along the way.

Despite the bodies they have available, they simply must find out what they have in Pulock now. As others have mentioned, he's spent his time on the farm and he is intended to provide a certain offensive skill set that few, few prospects they've had in like forever provide, starting with that shot.

If we find out that he neither produces nor has the skating for the NHL, then others are here and available to fill in right away.

But the team must find out and they must do so before they think of trading him.

We need an offensively adept, righty shot from the blueline. He may be exactly the man for the job.

Time to find out.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
The team may start the season with Pulock out of the line-up, but he'll be built in slowly but surely along the way.

Despite the bodies they have available, they simply must find out what they have in Pulock now. As others have mentioned, he's spent his time on the farm and he is intended to provide a certain offensive skill set that few, few prospects they've had in like forever provide, starting with that shot.

If we find out that he neither produces nor has the skating for the NHL, then others are here and available to fill in right away.

But the team must find out and they must do so before they think of trading him.

We need an offensively adept, righty shot from the blueline. He may be exactly the man for the job.

Time to find out.

Agreed, but they should see what they have right out of the gate. Pair him with de Haan to start and see where it goes from there.

The rotation should be between seidenberg and Hickey - Pelech should be in there everyday as well.

If Pulock's skating isn't up to par I can't imagine Mayfield is

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

Time to find out.

100% agree. From what we’ve seen of Pulock so far, he is the typical PP quarterback you need if you want to be successful in this league. Our PP with him is night and day imo. Teams know what kind of shot he has and they need to cover him. That opens up a ton of room for everyone else on the ice.

His defense didn’t look anywhere close to terrible to me. I don’t think he’s great defensively, but he seemed at least average which isn’t perfectly fine if he’s going to be an offensive threat. We’ve been missing a guy like that on defense for a while so let’s see I feel we finally have our guy in Pulock.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
100% agree. From what we’ve seen of Pulock so far, he is the typical PP quarterback you need if you want to be successful in this league. Our PP with him is night and day imo. Teams know what kind of shot he has and they need to cover him. That opens up a ton of room for everyone else on the ice.

His defense didn’t look anywhere close to terrible to me. I don’t think he’s great defensively, but he seemed at least average which isn’t perfectly fine if he’s going to be an offensive threat. We’ve been missing a guy like that on defense for a while so let’s see I feel we finally have our guy in Pulock.

Not that Pulock is or will ever reach his level, Al Macinnis wasn't very good defensively when he first entered the league. That shot was feared around the league and then he grew into being a good defender. Hopefully Pulock has a similar progression arc.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I'm going to reserve any judgement on Pulock until he's no longer technically considered a rookie.

I know he's been seasoned well in the AHL, but you have to play in the NHL to learn how to play defense in the NHL.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm going to reserve any judgement on Pulock until he's no longer technically considered a rookie.

I know he's been seasoned well in the AHL, but you have to play in the NHL to learn how to play defense in the NHL.

That's why he won't be waived. Donovan was an outlier too IMO, this D gets injured like no ones business, Pulock even as the number 8 will get good time in.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island

Agreed 100%. D take time to develop and the NHL game is different then AHL. Pulock has said in the past he focuses on working on the defensive end of his game, being physical. We all know what he brings offensively.....Kevin Shattenkirk isn't very good defensively, hes the PP QB and got a large contract for it. Paired with the right player like CDH, Pulock will be just fine

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Agreed 100%. D take time to develop and the NHL game is different then AHL. Pulock has said in the past he focuses on working on the defensive end of his game, being physical. We all know what he brings offensively.....Kevin Shattenkirk isn't very good defensively, hes the PP QB and got a large contract for it. Paired with the right player like CDH, Pulock will be just fine

He was paired with Leddy in the only game he's played in so far.

Personally, I'd say Leddy is the worst possible partner out of all the LHD that are projected to make the team (including Hickey). I don't think their styles mesh very well and both need to be sheltered a bit defensively.

I think Pulock will look better in a non-top pairing role with a partner not named Leddy, at least at the start of his NHL career.

Nick Leddy himself broke into the NHL on the bottom pairing (albeit on a team with prime Duncan Keith, but on the flipside we have some of the best depth 1-8 the league in my opinion), and now he's successfully playing top pairing minutes with the right partner.

Pulock shouldn't be relied upon to play in a top pairing role, nor do I think the coaching staff is expecting him to play a top pairing role (hell Hamonic hasn't even done that the past few years). Hamonic was third in ATOI behind Leddy and Boychuk and about 30 seconds ahead of de Haan. I think you'll see de Haan scoop up another minute or two (and if he does well I think Snow will be comfortable investing long term in a guy who can successfully play 21-22 minutes a night as opposed to 19-20) and the rest of the D fill in jointly.

Back to Pulock, him playing with Leddy on the top pairing in the preseason game was likely a test to see where he is at, and how well he plays outside of his perceived 'comfort zone'.

Preseason hockey is all about coaches wanting to see how guys react when they are playing in roles that have been pushed outside of where they were in the past. That's how they are able to tell who's improved, who stands out, and who deserves to get more looks.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Isn't the old saying, confirmed by our own best defenseman ever, that it takes 200 games to truly learn how to play D in the NHL? I'm going to pump the breaks a little bit. He doesn't have to be Shea Weber out of the gate, he just cant be Brian Strait. I think he''ll carry his own weight.

The 200 game mark thing is pretty crazy because look at de Haan who put it together last year. Currently sitting on 271 games played.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
https://www.nhl.com/news/2017-18-fantasy-hockey-nhl-team-previews/c-290621842?tid=277729150

Not sure where to put this so just chose this thread.

Goalies projected to get 42 Win... (I hope it's five more than that)

JT 70+ pts

JE 60+ pts

Lee over 50

Ho Sang 45

Brazal around 40

Leddy with 46

Pulock with 35 +

Are we a playoff team with these numbers?

Barzal with 40 points would certainly help a lot for depth scoring. I wouldn't use fantasy projections for playoff predictions though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Barzal with 40 points would certainly help a lot for depth scoring. I wouldn't use fantasy projections for playoff predictions though.

I know but I was looking to spark a little conversation on our line-up projection / production.

The Fantasy ppl seem to think Pulock will be our second highest scoring defensemen and that Josh Bails will plummet to under 35 points without JT ... I think they also assume he's off the PP1 unit and rightfully so.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They only projected who will be our top 5 forwards and top two defensemen in fantasy scoring I believe.

Then based on those projections, that doesn't look like a playoff team if the 5th highest scorer is only going to get 40 points. That's pretty poor depth, especially since only two guys are projected to surpass 60 points.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Then based on those projections, that doesn't look like a playoff team if the 5th highest scorer is only going to get 40 points. That's pretty poor depth, especially since only two guys are projected to surpass 60 points.

That list ignores Ladd, Nelson and Bailey

Islanders last season finished I believe 10th in goals for and only had 1 60 point player and 2 50 last year

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Nelson should be the easiest guy in the league to place based on how consistent his production has been.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

To be fair, Columbus had one 60+ scorer last year.

You can make the playoffs with weak top end guys as long 3-8 guys are strong (Columbus had eight 40+ scorers) and an defense that can score (I believe NYI was the only team with 5 defenseman with 20+ points last season).

Now, NYI is not going to have a Vezina winner in net, but Griess and Halak (when not bogged down by distractions) can get a team to the playoffs.

Not saying you can be a contender with only two 60+ scorers, but you can surely make the playoffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
To be fair, Columbus had one 60+ scorer last year.

You can make the playoffs with weak top end guys as long 3-8 guys are strong (Columbus had eight 40+ scorers) and an defense that can score (I believe NYI was the only team with 5 defenseman with 20+ points last season).

Now, NYI is not going to have a Vezina winner in net, but Griess and Halak (when not bogged down by distractions) can get a team to the playoffs.

Not saying you can be a contender with only two 60+ scorers, but you can surely make the playoffs.

To clarify, I was saying that if you don't have depth scoring, then you need a more stacked top six to offset that, hence the 60+ point thing. Columbus can get by with one 60 point guy because, like you said, they're three, almost four lines deep with 30-40 point guys. But if a team doesn't have that depth, they need more than two 60 point guys to carry the load.

I was also referring to that article's projections, not what the Isles' actually project to. I, personally, think they'll have more 40+ point guys than the article predicted for them. But based on what that article predicted, I don't think that's a playoff roster if that's all the offense they end up with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad