2017-2018 Laval Rocket and Brampton Beast Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
Saint John Sea Dogs season ticket holder here. Bailey is a great guy but he had a truly horrible year, made a ton of mistakes, usually unforced mistakes, that we didn't see last year. Yes, the team was horrible this year but as a 5th year overager, we assumed he would be a rock on D. Instead, he continually created turnovers. Being made captain may have been too big a load. The general feeling was he would have a hard time making a good college team next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Saint John Sea Dogs season ticket holder here. Bailey is a great guy but he had a truly horrible year, made a ton of mistakes, usually unforced mistakes, that we didn't see last year. Yes, the team was horrible this year but as a 5th year overager, we assumed he would be a rock on D. Instead, he continually created turnovers. Being made captain may have been too big a load. The general feeling was he would have a hard time making a good college team next year.

sounds like a great find by our scouts! :laugh::eek::huh:

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
it's 1-1, Terry scored. They look much better then last game, lots of jump.
They're still a turnover machine though. Terry and Taormina are basically driving this team. Oh and Rychel too since he's joined. Been scoring a lot. Hoping he can keep on the streak

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm hoping this season is Lefebvre's and his coaching staff's 9th life. There is absolutely 0 reasons to keep them around. They should have never returned this year, but what's done is done. It was reported that Lefebvre was given a 2-year extension. So firing him should be a lot easier as they only have one more year to pay him.

Not to mention, there is also reason to believe that an up-and-coming coach like Ducharme and a coach/executive like Bouchard are ready to take the next step in their careers (particularly Ducharme). You do NOT want to miss out on these guys.

It's time for some new blood and fresh ideas.

For me, Larry Carriere gets the boot (or is given a scouting position within the org. if they don't want to fire him) and Bouchard takes his spot as GM of Laval.

Sylvain Lefebvre, Nick Carriere, and Donald Dufresne get the boot and Ducharme gets the coaching gig and has his staff come with him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm hoping this season is Lefebvre's and his coaching staff's 9th life. There is absolutely 0 reasons to keep them around. They should have never returned this year, but what's done is done. It was reported that Lefebvre was given a 2-year extension. So firing him should be a lot easier as they only have one more year to pay him.

Not to mention, there is also reason to believe that an up-and-coming coach like Ducharme and a coach/executive like Bouchard are ready to take the next step in their careers (particularly Ducharme). You do NOT want to miss out on these guys.

It's time for some new blood and fresh ideas.

For me, Larry Carriere gets the boot (or is given a scouting position within the org. if they don't want to fire him) and Bouchard takes his spot as GM of Laval.

Sylvain Lefebvre, Nick Carriere, and Donald Dufresne get the boot and Ducharme gets the coaching gig and has his staff come with him.

That's a lot of hope packaged in one post. I'm with you on all those changes. However, with Bergevin secure in his position, I'm not convinced that he's not the ultimate decision-maker on the AHL team or that he'll make different decisions this off season.

And if changes are made, neither are we assured that the individuals we may prefer, like Ducharme or Bouchard, will be the candidates that are necessarily considered. We had to swallow a bitter pill with coaching and assistant coaching decisions coming from Bergevin (Therrien, Lefebvre, no Larry Robinson in favor of childhood friend JJD, etc.) -- Bergevin values these kind of individuals and there is nothing to indicate that he's learned anything from past errors.

Bergevin had ample reason to jettison Lefebvre last year and had the gall to not only guarantee his job while Lefebvre claimed he was looking for NHL employment, but handed him a 2-year deal. It's unbelievable that Bergevin will have the ability to continue making decisions -- so many of his appointments speak for themselves but it's as if there is no one to call him on them. No one that truly matters, like his immediate overseer. What a trainwreck.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's a lot of hope packaged in one post. I'm with you on all those changes. However, with Bergevin secure in his position, I'm not convinced that he's not the ultimate decision-maker on the AHL team or that he'll make different decisions this off season.

And if changes are made, neither are we assured that the individuals we may prefer, like Ducharme or Bouchard, will be the candidates that are necessarily considered. We had to swallow a bitter pill with coaching and assistant coaching decisions coming from Bergevin (Therrien, Lefebvre, no Larry Robinson in favor of childhood friend JJD, etc.) -- Bergevin values these kind of individuals and there is nothing to indicate that he's learned anything from past errors.

Bergevin had ample reason to jettison Lefebvre last year and had the gall to not only guarantee his job while Lefebvre claimed he was looking for NHL employment, but handed him a 2-year deal. It's unbelievable that Bergevin will have the ability to continue making decisions -- so many of his appointments speak for themselves but it's as if there is no one to call him on them. No one that truly matters, like his immediate overseer. What a trainwreck.

I'm with you on all fronts. Until he proves otherwise, MB's personnel decisions is something to be worried about.

But alas, I am a hopeful. Even if Lefebvre returns next year, I'll be very upset and disappointed (as I was last summer when he was extended). But next year, if Laval has the same kind of results, I will still be hopeful for changes. So I'll probably make a post like this one again in a year's time.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I'm with you on all fronts. Until he proves otherwise, MB's personnel decisions is something to be worried about.

But alas, I am a hopeful. Even if Lefebvre returns next year, I'll be very upset and disappointed (as I was last summer when he was extended). But next year, if Laval has the same kind of results, I will still be hopeful for changes. So I'll probably make a post like this one again in a year's time.

I think Lefebvre returns but as assistant coach with Habs. I have that feeling....

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
I know there's a few call-ups at the moment, but how is it possible for our AHL affiliate to have literally zero NHL prospects in the lineup night after night? Looking at the roster, aside from maybe Lindgren but I'm far from sold, there's not a single player who I expect to play in the NHL long-term. Maybe Addison hangs on somewhere as a 4th liner but he's been hurt all year so hard to tell if he'll be able to even make that step. Easy to get on Sly's case for bad development, but you can only do so much with Simon Bourque's and Thomas Eichenschmid's of the world...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I know there's a few call-ups at the moment, but how is it possible for our AHL affiliate to have literally zero NHL prospects in the lineup night after night? Looking at the roster, aside from maybe Lindgren but I'm far from sold, there's not a single player who I expect to play in the NHL long-term. Maybe Addison hangs on somewhere as a 4th liner but he's been hurt all year so hard to tell if he'll be able to even make that step. Easy to get on Sly's case for bad development, but you can only do so much with Simon Bourque's and Thomas Eichenschmid's of the world...

But Da record!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It is very easy to get on Lefebvre's case. He's been their coach for 6 seasons and he's only participated in the playoffs once and was bounced in the 1st round. Every team has their players called up and have to deal with ECHL call ups and ATO's and PTO's. It is the reality every single AHL team faces. No exceptions. Despite that, teams have more success than Lefebvre has had.

It's not that he's the only bad coach in the AHL. But he is among them. And he's been there long enough to know that he doesn't have what it takes to be the man running the show in the minors. It's time for a change.

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
It is very easy to get on Lefebvre's case. He's been their coach for 6 seasons and he's only participated in the playoffs once and was bounced in the 1st round. Every team has their players called up and have to deal with ECHL call ups and ATO's and PTO's. It is the reality every single AHL team faces. No exceptions. Despite that, teams have more success than Lefebvre has had.

It's not that he's the only bad coach in the AHL. But he is among them. And he's been there long enough to know that he doesn't have what it takes to be the man running the show in the minors. It's time for a change.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to defend Lefebvre, really. I think he's a terrible talent developer and should have been fired years ago. But I think he's not the only problem. The Laval Rocket might as well not even be our affiliate for all of the NHL prospects they have in the line-up. There's not a single player on that roster who has meaningful NHL potential and none of them had that potential before they ran into Lefebvre. Talent development is a big problem, but so is talent acquisition and asset management.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I read a recent tweet that stated how Utica had as many if not more call-ups than the Rocket and they've clinched a playoff spot. There comes a time when someone like Lefebvre is given so many opportunities that they become the issue and not every other circumstance that surrounds them. We have reached that point in time, however, the issue is that Bergevin is working on a whole other notion of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad