Prospect Info: 2017-2018 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Clune. Leafs have a lot of their own prospects in the system now, so they don't have as many vets as they used to.

Easy way to find those players is to look at AHL scoring leaders from the past 5 years and who isn't signed to a 2-way contract.
You're kidding? The same 31 yr old Clune who has 3 pts in 29 games this year and 10 pts in 37 last year is making between $200-$300K?

Here's a list of players on the Marlies that have played all of their pro games this year in the AHL and are making more than $200K. :)
  • Chris Mueller, age 31, $400K
  • Vincent LoVerde, age 28, $700K
  • Ben Smith, age 29, $650K
  • Colin Greening, age 31, $750K

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Turgeon suspended 20 games now (and isn't a very good player), Haapala only played 20 games and now is back in Finland, Buckles retired, Beauchemin (invited to dev camp and signed to an AHL deal) has been back and forth between the ECHL and AHL, Kurker, Brown, and Greg Chase are ECHLers. Mamin is up with the NHL club.

The only good players on the team right now are Valk, Hawryluk, Grenier, Hunt, Greco. Lammikko is good too but not in the same sense as those guys. Byron is a good bottom-6 guy but he's injured.

On defense, Erixon, Fayne are vets but I don't think they've been great. Fortunus, another vet, but he's a pushover. Brown is still learning, Schemitsch is still raw in my opinion. Downing learning too and is now in the ECHL. Wittchow is also still young. Bystrom is above average and Hamilton is actually a decent player but this is only his 1st pro season.

Overall, it's a lot of youth, inexperience, injuries combined into one team. The vets are OK, but they're not great.

The team is a lot like FLA...a handful of guys at the top doing their jobs, but not enough of a supporting cast to help them out. Just like FLA, when things click, they're a good team, but it doesn't happen every night. Take away the bad start to the season and their record isn't half bad.

Farnham has been getting a lot of quality minutes and Wittchow was being used as a forward for a while, but they didn't have much of a choice. I don't think Kinnear is the problem.

But doesnt speak all your Points for the fact other ones brought up. When you have special young Players, some few better AHL Veterans would help the Team and the Franchise. Current the younger depth or raw material, get mostly shreaded in their Games. From Time to Time they also have shining moments. And even they wanna have their space to place all the rookies in the Roster. Some elder Player would help the Team, a winning culture always give your Players some extra air in the Game.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
You're kidding? The same 31 yr old Clune who has 3 pts in 29 games this year and 10 pts in 37 last year is making between $200-$300K?

Here's a list of players on the Marlies that have played all of their pro games this year in the AHL and are making more than $200K. :)
  • Chris Mueller, age 31, $400K
  • Vincent LoVerde, age 28, $700K
  • Ben Smith, age 29, $650K
  • Colin Greening, age 31, $750K

But spending alone doesnt make them good Player fit the Team. But also spending nothing on the Team doesnt bring anything, beside a few young Players skating on the Ice and learn how to loose.
Even the Rampage get once into the PO and that team was a great Mix of Vets and Rookies, i never understood why the changed that System. When Rookies and young Players can play AHL PO, that help them in later PO Games in the NHL.

The Question is how we spend the Money, i mean from what i heard Springfield is already a longtime AHL HokceyTown.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Chances Borgstrom makes the team next season? There certainly is a spot in the top 9 available, it's a matter of readiness and willingness on his part, I guess.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Chances Borgstrom makes the team next season? There certainly is a spot in the top 9 available, it's a matter of readiness and willingness on his part, I guess.
If his season with Denver ends early he will be on the team this year and I’m fairly sure he will be a panther next year as well. Second line lock almost.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Another nice win tonight by the T Birds. Both wins this weekend were largely attributed to the play of Greco and Sateri although I’m sure that batting1K will dissent and post that THE can’t miss kid was
equally responsible and Montembault should have played one of the games.

Reactions: Haj

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Another nice win tonight by the T Birds. Both wins this weekend were largely attributed to the play of Greco and Sateri although I’m sure that batting1K will dissent and post that THE can’t miss kid was

How has Lammikko been? I'm curious if he's ready to fight for a 4C spot in FLA next year?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Only watched Friday's game, and no, the win had nothing to do with Hawryluk. Can't seem to have a decent convo on here about Springfield without you trying to be sarcastic about Hawryluk, but that's fine!

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Only watched Friday's game, and no, the win had nothing to do with Hawryluk. Can't seem to have a decent convo on here about Springfield without you trying to be sarcastic about Hawryluk, but that's fine!
He drew an unsportsmanlike tonight for pissing and moaning that he got a penalty giving the Comets a 4 minute power play in a close game. Probably the only significant thing he did this weekend . OTOH it's time Greco gets a callup. He is deserving of one far more than any other forward on the T Birds.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
What do we have in Schemitsch? Greco?

-ghoste

I still contend that Schemitsch is pretty raw (and he's still young), but I think he could be useful down the road. He has some offensive ability which he's shown this year. Above average skater, but won't blow by anyone. Could stand to improve his d-zone reads a bit, but overall he's pretty smart.

Greco is an elite skater and that is no exaggeration. No doubt one of the fastest guys in the AHL and the same would be true if he was in the NHL. Really effective on the PK and has shown an ability to score, although I'm not sure if he'd be able to do it at the NHL level where defensemen are a lot smarter, experienced, and tougher to play against. Probably projects to be a bottom-6 guy if he makes it, which I'd like to see him get a crack at soon

Reactions: Ghoste

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Deadline isn't for 3 months, can we stop worrying? No one was worried about Stillman...
Stillman is a very marginal prospect compared to Mascherin. Just take a look who we passed to take him: starting from DeBrincat, Girard, Carter Hart... The standard set there no matter how you try to twist it. It is concerning that he hasn't signed. Let's wait and see after Kitchener's season is over. Though there is not a reason to be panicking yet.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Stillman is a very marginal prospect compared to Mascherin. Just take a look who we passed to take him: starting from DeBrincat, Girard, Carter Hart... The standard set there no matter how you try to twist it. It is concerning that he hasn't signed. Let's wait and see after Kitchener's season is over. Though there is not a reason to be panicking yet.

Ha, I know. It's just that I'm seeing the same question everyday like Mascherin is the next coming of McDavid or something. :laugh:

I'm fairly confident something will get done, if it isn't already.

Reactions: Haj

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It could be that the two sides are waiting until after the playoffs (& potential memorial cup) to hone the fine details.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Deadline isn't for 3 months, can we stop worrying? No one was worried about Stillman...

I can't stop worrying because I love him as a prospect. I wanted us to draft him with that pick....and they did!

Yeah, I'm stupidly attached to Mascherin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad