Prospect Info: 2017-2018 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Yeah the Springfield forwards are doing pretty decent, especially considering that most aren't expected to be more than depth pieces. It really helps that they're one year older - last year's group had so many rookies that they were esentially the youngest AHL team.

If you take away the horrendous first fourteen games stretch where they went 2-11-1, their record isn't too bad. After they got some D help in late October/November (vets Fortunus and Erixon, plus Bystrom acquired for Scarlett) , they went 19-13-1 - which would actually place them 10th in the league. (Unfortunately their season was pretty much over after those first fourteen games... Still. Good trend.)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Wouldnt mind seeing anthony grecogiven a try at the nhl level.
Yes, he has had a nice season. Small package but plays bigger than his size. Perfect fit on the energy 4th line with speed and grit if we loses Sceviour next season.

Next season he'll make the team, start on the 4th and work his way up to the 3rd and score 20 goals.............then Tallon will move him to Seattle at the expansion draft so they don't take McCoshen. At least we'll get a 4th. :)

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Shutout for Cowley on the road tonight against Bridgeport . Didn’t see it though. Maybe batting1k did and will post a few thoughts about it.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Shutout for Cowley on the road tonight against Bridgeport . Didn’t see it though. Maybe batting1k did and will post a few thoughts about it.
This one isn't hard to figure out looking at the scoresheet as they went into a cocoon to protect Cowley. They got the lead on the PP halfway thru the 1st and then just sat back and played conservative. Only 5 shots for BST and 2 for ST in the 3rd as they probably saw the full trap. Looks like the only life BST had was in the 2nd with 13 shots but I would bet they kept them to an outside perimeter game when they made it into the zone. Doesn't exactly reflect Mr. Boo's system but it is more in tune with teaching them to protect a lead with that roster..........which is something the Cats didn't do very well prior to the ASB. :)

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
You mean the team that has never lost when leading into the 3rd period?

No, we protect leads just fine.
Not exactly the Gold Std Stat of protecting leads comparison. Unless I'm missing something here, the Cats have only held the lead after 2 periods in 14 of their 50 games and won all 14, where the top 3 teams have held the lead in 28, 29, an 30 games respectively and the first won 26 of their 28 with the second winning 24 of their 29 and the third won 20 of their 30. The third team (Anaheim) has done a poor job of protecting the lead but has off-set this by playing strong for the first two periods and holding on. They are still 10 pts ahead of the Cats at this moment in time.

So in summary, the Cats are good at holding a lead in 14 games after 2 periods but unable to replicate the the top 3 who have doubled the Cats in leading after 2. Would you rather be the Cats or 11 other teams that haven't won all of their games leading after the 2nd period but have 20 wins or more to show for it.? After all, even the Titanic is batting 1000 on hitting an iceberg on the first try. :)

NHL.com - Stats

ps: End of period stats don't give a fluid definitive picture of how many leads are lost during a game. ;)

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Not exactly the Gold Std Stat of protecting leads comparison. Unless I'm missing something here, the Cats have only held the lead after 2 periods in 14 of their 50 games and won all 14, where the top 3 teams have held the lead in 28, 29, an 30 games respectively and the first won 26 of their 28 with the second winning 24 of their 29 and the third won 20 of their 30. The third team (Anaheim) has done a poor job of protecting the lead but has off-set this by playing strong for the first two periods and holding on. They are still 10 pts ahead of the Cats at this moment in time.

So in summary, the Cats are good at holding a lead in 14 games after 2 periods but unable to replicate the the top 3 who have doubled the Cats in leading after 2. Would you rather be the Cats or 11 other teams that haven't won all of their games leading after the 2nd period but have 20 wins or more to show for it.? After all, even the Titanic is batting 1000 on hitting an iceberg on the first try. :)

NHL.com - Stats

ps: End of period stats don't give a fluid definitive picture of how many leads are lost during a game. ;)

Well you know how it is round here. If those teams don’t win a cup or get bounced in the playoffs the numbers don’t mean squat.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Unfortunately only caught the last 5 or so minutes. From what I've seen of Cowley this year, he's actually been pretty good

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Unfortunately only caught the last 5 or so minutes. From what I've seen of Cowley this year, he's actually been pretty good

In your opinion what's his ceiling? Career AHLer? Possible #3?

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Career AHLer or Europen Starting Goalie in the Leagues over there.

Other Question is which role or which place will Ang get next Year. At least he will sign also an entry Contract and his part should be more or less 3rd 4th Line Center who can play Physical.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
I assume Haapala is going back to Finland. Not a great sign, to be honest. I realize he's had some injury problems, but Tallon was way off on his pre-season expectations for this guy. This is unfortunate though because I think there's a real chance he won't be back.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I assume Haapala is going back to Finland. Not a great sign, to be honest. I realize he's had some injury problems, but Tallon was way off on his pre-season expectations for this guy. This is unfortunate though because I think there's a real chance he won't be back.
Haapala has arguably been the most impressive of our call-ups that got a few games (Malgin doesn't count since he started with the big team and has played a lot of games), Mamin looks better all-around but hasn't contributed much (to be fair, Mamin is playing with a slumping McCann and McGinn is what he is, while Haapala got to play with Trocheck and some PP time too). Speed was the only thing holding Haapala back, otherwise he looked like an NHL player, or a very good call-up option at least.

I don't blame him if it's the hip that's bothering him and wanting to rehab it back home.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Haapala has arguably been the most impressive of our call-ups that got a few games (Malgin doesn't count since he started with the big team and has played a lot of games), Mamin looks better all-around but hasn't contributed much (to be fair, Mamin is playing with a slumping McCann and McGinn is what he is, while Haapala got to play with Trocheck and some PP time too). Speed was the only thing holding Haapala back, otherwise he looked like an NHL player, or a very good call-up option at least.

I don't blame him if it's the hip that's bothering him and wanting to rehab it back home.

I agree, he did look good. But going from potential top 6 winger on opening night to playing 5 games total + 20 in the AHL then going back home in February is disappointing nonetheless. Again, I realize there is likely an injury at play here, but it still sucks. He's only signed through next year, so if he's not back for training camp next season, he's likely staying in Europe long term which is entirely possible.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I agree, he did look good. But going from potential top 6 winger on opening night to playing 5 games total + 20 in the AHL then going back home in February is disappointing nonetheless. Again, I realize there is likely an injury at play here, but it still sucks. He's only signed through next year, so if he's not back for training camp next season, he's likely staying in Europe long term which is entirely possible.
I actually think it was smart to send Haapala down at the beginning, if he's not getting top6 minutes might as well have him playing more in the AHL.

It sucks, but you never know with injuries. From what I remember he played the whole season without hip issues (assuming it is the hip that's bothering him) last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad