Prospect Info: 2017-2018 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
5-2 win for the TBirds over Providence.

Mamins stat line is begging for another look in our bottom 6 IMO.

Crowley with the win against one of the AHLs best, on the road no less.

Hawryluk’s stat line is too. 17 points in his last 19 games, 9 in his last 7.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Somebody might be going up as they recalled Beauchemin from the ECHL.
Yeah, Hawryluk is due. He was Tallon's personal pick after the interview at the combine where he told Jayce he would pick him. Hawryluk seems to have turned it around and fortunately has been able to stay away from any head shots in order to stay off of IR. I was afraid he was turning into another Booth but he looks to be gaining confidence. How this will all translate in NHL is still a mystery but he will get his shot at some point this season and it wouldn't surprise me if McCann or Malgin is sent down to do so. I'll be rooting for him (surprised Batting?) to get a slot in the bottom 6.........we need help. :)

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

One goal doesn't tell the whole story, but this to me raises a massive question mark on the quality of competition (Tri-City isn't a terrible team standings wise either) in the WHL. Unless that was a 90+ seconds shift for the d-men, then they're excused, but otherwise that was so bad. Hepo looked gassed too, so credit to him for sticking with it.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
One goal doesn't tell the whole story, but this to me raises a massive question mark on the quality of competition (Tri-City isn't a terrible team standings wise either) in the WHL. Unless that was a 90+ seconds shift for the d-men, then they're excused, but otherwise that was so bad. Hepo looked gassed too, so credit to him for sticking with it.

Heponiemi is a test of looking past the numbers. Sure, he's skilled but I'm not seeing that he'll be able to translate his point totals to the NHL or even to the AHL. To me he's a 3-4 year project and even then I'd probably still consider him more of a trade piece.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Heponiemi is a test of looking past the numbers. Sure, he's skilled but I'm not seeing that he'll be able to translate his point totals to the NHL or even to the AHL. To me he's a 3-4 year project and even then I'd probably still consider him more of a trade piece.

Can't wait until GM @Jakeybonz tears a strip off ya JLD.
My popcorn is ready.
Ya I have him at the bottom of the top 4 forward prospects between Borgstrom, Tippett and Mascherin.
Curious to see his development into the pro leagues

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Ya I have him at the bottom of the top 4 forward prospects between Borgstrom, Tippett and Mascherin.

If the Cats pick around 5-10 in the next draft, my preliminary wishlist includes Joel Farabee. A guy like him would easily get in front of Heponiemi in the depth charts. Better hands, better shot, faster, stronger 'n all that good stuff.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If the Cats pick around 5-10 in the next draft, my preliminary wishlist includes Joel Farabee. A guy like him would easily get in front of Heponiemi in the depth charts. Better hands, better shot, faster, stronger 'n all that good stuff.

You'd go forward over defenseman with the 1st round pick? Thought this was the draft to grab some high ranked defensemen? I haven't been following as closely this year.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
You'd go forward over defenseman with the 1st round pick? Thought this was the draft to grab some high ranked defensemen? I haven't been following as closely this year.

My impression of Farabee is that he's better than Svechinikov. The Panthers have Yotes 2nd round pick which is almost a 1st round pick and I'd use that for a skilled RD. After that, use the remaining picks to get a goalie and big 'n tough RDs.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
So the winning streak is over. Thunderbirds are 5-3 nehind with Minutes left to play. Interisting Mammin another 2 Assist tonight even Lamminko getting better the last Games.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
So the winning streak is over. Thunderbirds are 5-3 nehind with Minutes left to play. Interisting Mammin another 2 Assist tonight even Lamminko getting better the last Games.
Very Interesting night. Scored the first 3 and the Devils got the next 5. Not a good night for Montembault. 3 goals on 11 shots before he got yanked. Beginning to think I should give my tickets away. When I show up Montembault doesn't. As an aside No. 8 appears to be injured. Maybe his biggest booster can fill us in on the details.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Very Interesting night. Scored the first 3 and the Devils got the next 5. Not a good night for Montembault. 3 goals on 11 shots before he got yanked. Beginning to think I should give my tickets away. When I show up Montembault doesn't. As an aside No. 8 appears to be injured. Maybe his biggest booster can fill us in on the details.

Precautionary for Hawryluk after a hit last game. Assume he'll be back next game.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Precautionary for Hawryluk after a hit last game. Assume he'll be back next game.
I was wondering why his stats were all zip the other night. Unfortunately staying away from hits was something he needed to do this year. Don't put yourself in a position to get hammered. Let's hope he can recover quickly. If it's the head..........take a month or two off...........it's worth it in the long run.:(

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Heponiemi with 3 primary assists, what's new.
However an interesting bit of info: it sounds like after the WJC, the Bronco's coach broke up the Heponiemi-Gawdin-Steenbergen line. Since then, Hepo is 4+10 in 5 games; Gawdin and Steenbergen still putting up numbers but less impressive (Steenbergen 4 assist in 4 games).
He really needs better competition next year, whether that means NHL or a European league.

Reactions: Ghoste and Chaos2k7

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Heponiemi with 3 primary assists, what's new.
However an interesting bit of info: it sounds like after the WJC, the Bronco's coach broke up the Heponiemi-Gawdin-Steenbergen line. Since then, Hepo is 4+10 in 5 games; Gawdin and Steenbergen still putting up numbers but less impressive (Steenbergen 4 assist in 4 games).
He really needs better competition next year, whether that means NHL or a European league.
Agree. WHL would be a complete waste. Cant' wait to see what he does in training camp.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
u aren't high on a guy that is having one of the best chl seasons in the last 20 yrs and is on a 26 game point streak no matter who his linemates seem to be? even after the leagues best goal scorer can't seem to score a goal without him? dude. I get that he's small but he would definitely have gone in th 1st round if anyone had a clue he'd put up a season like this. he's the funnest stat watch I've ever had. its like opening a present every time u check a box score. he'll get bigger. and when he does, he's gonna be ridiculous. almost as ridiculous as ur putting him behind mascherin.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
u aren't high on a guy that is having one of the best chl seasons in the last 20 yrs and is on a 26 game point streak no matter who his linemates seem to be? even after the leagues best goal scorer can't seem to score a goal without him? dude. I get that he's small but he would definitely have gone in th 1st round if anyone had a clue he'd put up a season like this. he's the funnest stat watch I've ever had. its like opening a present every time u check a box score. he'll get bigger. and when he does, he's gonna be ridiculous. almost as ridiculous as ur putting him behind mascherin.
Both Button and Pronman actually had him in the first round, at 24 and 27 respectively. The analytics crowd at Canucksarmy also loved him (projected him 18th).

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

To survive in the NHL at his size you either need to be shifty or stout. I think he is going to be the shifty skater.

His point totals go beyond what being “lucky” is. Getting a 26 game point streak is showing he knows how to read plays enough to be in the right place and right time. He’s just clowning CHL dudes right now by thinking the game much faster than that level. He is definitely ready for higher competition. If he doesn’t outright make the team he has to be in either AHL or in Finland next season.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
almost as ridiculous as ur putting him behind mascherin.

It's not ridiculous when that's the reality. The needs-perspective, the Panthers have a dire need for scoring, which even the coach has said so, and that puts Mascherin above Heponiemi. The talent level is hard to gauge when you have guys playing against pylons, that's the fact that ppl seem to forget when they are just shocked 'n awed by the numbers. I really don't care about the numbers to tell you the truth because that's the #1 thing that constitutes a bust i.e. had great numbers in the minors but couldn't translate them in to the pro leagues, and a gem i.e. didn't have great numbers in the minors but his game was more suited for the pro leagues. For an instance, Adam Brooks who had pretty good digits in the WHL but looks like a non-factor in the AHL. Besides Heponiemi looks like a guy who's going to be ragdolled in the AHL. I think that he's up for a surprise in the pros if he thinks that it's going to be equally easy. Thus, the guy is a project, another iffy Grimaldi-type of a guy. I'm all for drafting talent but you gotta look at the entire picture. I would've drafted Johan Gadjovich in the 2nd round and you can look that prediction from the 2017 draft thread. However, Heponiemi could be the next Datsyuk too but this is the way I see it at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad