Prospect Info: 2017-2018 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
At the end of the day, the AHL is a developmental league. You aren't going to see the best of the best AHL players, because a lot of them move on to European leagues when they realise that the jump to NHL isn't gonna happen. Then you're left with players that haven't made that decision yet, players that are content playing in the AHL (most of them probably couldn't make it in Europe anyway, aka. they aren't that good) and young players that are still learning the ways of the league.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
No offense but you don’t know anything about young goaltenders or player development.

Everyone else, don’t let this guy’s comments about Montembeault concern you.
I take it that you as a college student are proficient in this area ?

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
At the end of the day, the AHL is a developmental league. You aren't going to see the best of the best AHL players, because a lot of them move on to European leagues when they realise that the jump to NHL isn't gonna happen. Then you're left with players that haven't made that decision yet, players that are content playing in the AHL (most of them probably couldn't make it in Europe anyway, aka. they aren't that good) and young players that are still learning the ways of the league.
It is a developmental league with the rosters made up of prospects and hopefully quality veterans to lead them. The NHL parent that stocks their affiliate in this manner usually gets a competitive AHL team as a result. What the Panthers have stocked their affiliate with I'll leave to the resident forum expert on such matters and the "everyone else" he refers to for their "concerns" on the subject.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It is a developmental league with the rosters made up of prospects and hopefully quality veterans to lead them. The NHL parent that stocks their affiliate in this manner usually gets a competitive AHL team as a result. What the Panthers have stocked their affiliate with I'll leave to the resident forum expert on such matters and the "everyone else" he refers to for their "concerns" on the subject.
Since 2010 (when the current rebuild started), Panthers AHL team has made the playoffs three times (Rampage 2011-12 & 2014-15 and Pirates 2015-16). 3/7 is not bad for a team that started from literally nothing.

However, as brought up the last time we had this "Panthers don't spend enough money on AHL vets" -discussion, T-Birds ownership who seem to have a lot of say in what goes around with the team, share the blame. I mean, didn't you say that this is basically the same ownership as was with the Falcons, the team that made the playoffs three times since 2000?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Since 2010 (when the current rebuild started), Panthers AHL team has made the playoffs three times (Rampage 2011-12 & 2014-15 and Pirates 2015-16). 3/7 is not bad for a team that started from literally nothing.

However, as brought up the last time we had this "Panthers don't spend enough money on AHL vets" -discussion, T-Birds ownership who seem to have a lot of say in what goes around with the team, share the blame. I mean, didn't you say that this is basically the same ownership as was with the Falcons, the team that made the playoffs three times since 2000?
No this is the 2nd year that new ownership is in control. The Falcons franchise was sold to the Coyotes and the new ownership group purchased Portland Pirates franchise in time for the 2016 -17 season. I don’t believe that ownership has the authority to sign any of their own players. The Panthers are in complete charge of player personnel.

Last edited:

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
No this is the 2nd year that new ownership is in control. The Falcons franchise was sold to the Coyotes and the new ownership group purchased Portland Pirates franchise in time for the 2016 -17 season. I don’t believe that ownership has the authority to sign any of their own players. The Panthers are in complete charge of player personnel.
It was probably the Pirates ownership then, because I remember a local poster complaining about it with how things had been in the past.

The bolded can't be true, since Panthers ownership (Viola/Cifu) doesn't own the AHL team. Yes, the GM is from Panthers management, but I'm sure the T-Birds ownership have the final say on AHL only contracts.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
So Tippett has really turned it up a notch the last 7 games...

I think it was a smart move to get him some NHL games to see what the life is like so now he will bust his ass to get back there. I could see him challenging for a spot next year but ultimately a year in the AHL may be best.

Mascherin is having a pretty good season too.
Him and Borgstrom will also be fighting for spots next year but if not, our AHL team will get a big boost in offensive power with these 3.

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
Man that darn ECHL-caliber goalie Sam Montembeault just made 35 saves on 36 shots in his 10th straight start. What a bum! Must’ve gotten really lucky or had some super good defense in front of him
Understand that he played well. Didn't see the game so can't comment on it. Kinda figured that you would though.:)

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
We understand that you are salty with the team. But for a rookie 1st time playing pro let alone AHL hockey, on an understaffed team. I am surprised its this good.

He is the goalie of the future. Get used to seeing him.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

scoob8888

Sep 28, 2017
We understand that you are salty with the team. But for a rookie 1st time playing pro let alone AHL hockey, on an understaffed team. I am surprised its this good.

He is the goalie of the future. Get used to seeing him.

Hopefully he gets his revenge against the Bruins on Sunday after being yanked last Saturday night.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Per batting:

I wondered about him since his university team seems terrible (third worst record in the league; injuries probably didn't help). Given that he's 20, this is the last year he can play in USHL, right? That means AHL or ECHL next year?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wondered about him since his university team seems terrible (third worst record in the league; injuries probably didn't help). Given that he's 20, this is the last year he can play in USHL, right? That means AHL or ECHL next year?
I was going to propose the CHL for next year, but then I realised he's a '97 born. So yeah, he's already an overager.

Europe maybe? He might not be ready for the AHL/ECHL (and it's debatable how benefitial the ECHL is to young player development anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad