Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think the Leafs are a better team than the Sharks but I'm not sure they have a better chance since they have a tougher road. If the Sharks get lucky, the only top contender they'd have to face to make it to the finals is Nashville. The Leafs on the other hand has to face Tampa/Boston in the 1st round, Tampa/Boston in the 2nd round, then Pittsburgh/Washington in the ECF.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I wasn’t trying to make some serious or anti-Sharks/Thornton post and I certainly didn’t want to spark the same damn debate we’ve been having on this board for the past decade. I was just trying to make a point about how insane it is to accuse Marleau of not caring/trying in the playoffs.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I wasn’t trying to make some serious or anti-Sharks/Thornton post and I certainly didn’t want to spark the same damn debate we’ve been having on this board for the past decade. I was just trying to make a point about how insane it is to accuse Marleau of not caring/trying in the playoffs.

Is the same old narrative that has its good points and bad points. Bad because Marleau gets the reputation for being lazy, soft, and not caring. Good because I can immediately see which posters either haven't watched Marleau or don't know what to look for when watching hockey.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I don't think marleau is a bad player at all. He's just perfectly ok with picking up his check and leaving. Which isn't somebody id give the edge to in a playoff series.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't think marleau is a bad player at all. He's just perfectly ok with picking up his check and leaving. Which isn't somebody id give the edge to in a playoff series.

Then why does he have almost the same PPG in the playoffs as his regular season PPG? Why does he score goals at a higher rate in the playoffs than he does in the regular season? Why is he 8th all time in playoff game-winning goals, and why is the percentage of his goals that are GWGs increase in the playoffs? Opponents in the playoffs are stronger than opponents in the regular season, so we’d expect these numbers to go down.

You keep spinning your narrative even as you can’t answer any of these questions.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think what he’s saying that Patty is only good in the playoffs because he wants money. :sarcasm:

But if he's good in the playoffs because he wants money, then how can his selfish concern only to get paid mean that he doesn't want it bad enough when the playoffs come?

woah.gif

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
This grandiose discussion substitutes the number, but don't let that dissuade you from the facts. Thornton will sign for peanuts for a better sharks team. My feelings towards Marleau is he wants the $$ and wouldn't be shocked if he went to a 3rd team to keep his payday up.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This grandiose discussion substitutes the number, but don't let that dissuade you from the facts. Thornton will sign for peanuts for a better sharks team. My feelings towards Marleau is he wants the $$ and wouldn't be shocked if he went to a 3rd team to keep his payday up.

The facts, in your opinion, are:

-Thornton, he of the $8M salary this year, will sign for peanuts for a better Sharks team, in the future.

-Your feeling that Marleau wants money.

Some “facts”. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This grandiose discussion substitutes the number, but don't let that dissuade you from the facts.

1) What? I'm not sure half the words you used in that sentence mean what you think they mean.

2) what "facts"? You have given any facts, Just unsupported opinion.

Thornton will sign for peanuts for a better sharks team. My feelings towards Marleau is he wants the $$ and wouldn't be shocked if he went to a 3rd team to keep his payday up.

So basically you've got nothing and are going with random proclamations in a flimsy bid to salvage this. Got it.

Last edited:

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA

I guess we can agree that these are words, though it seems that we differ on what they mean and how to use them.

I'm really tempted to include the meme that had the entirety of the response to Billy Madison's puppy who lost his way answer as a response, but I'll save that for another time.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

High quality word salad.

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
Let me handle this. Jaleel619, if that is your real name, listen up. I don’t know if you’re new here, or to the Bay Area, but there are some things you need to know. We’re Silicon Valley people here, we’re pretty smart, we know science, we know quick maths. I don’t know what you like when you watch sports but let me guess, tell me if I’m wrong... You like seeing flashy, substanceless players like Patrick Kane, or Tyler Seguin, or Ryan Getzlaf to name a few... or you like big hits, or highlight reel plays, or guys laying it all on the line, sacrificing it all to win championships...? Well we’re a little different here in SJ. Let me tell you how it is kid. Nothing, and I mean nothing moistens our nethers more than large sample-size statistical performance above the mean. Buddy boy, that makes my **** hard. Patrick Marleau for life!

Did that work? Did I resolve it? :naughty:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Your feelings are incorrect but it's hilarious that you would have this reaction because some player even after putting twenty years for the team didn't decline 8 million more dollars from elsewhere.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yeah, who’d want to go play on a team with a 20 year old Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, and William Nylander on it. Pretty rich of you to make another comment like that when the Sharks would be lucky to get out of the second round. Pretty rich if you to accuse Patrick Marleau of “going through the motions” in the playoffs when his career playoff PPG is barely less than his career regular season PPG, compared to Thornton’s giagantic decline from regular season production to playoff production. But yeah Marleau, the guy who went to a team with a better Cup chance, is totally the guy that “fades away”, and Thornton, who stayed with a mediocre team on the downswing, is definitely the guy who wants to be paid in Cups. Totally.
I feel like he would have stayed if it wasn’t for Babcock. Nothing to do with playing with Mathews and the others.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel like he would have stayed if it wasn’t for Babcock. Nothing to do with playing with Mathews and the others.

The third year I'm sure helped too. I'm pretty sure he would've stayed if they gave him the third year even at only 5 mil per instead of the 6 he got. Either way, trashing the guy for that kind of decision after all the time he's put in here is just lame.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
The third year I'm sure helped too. I'm pretty sure he would've stayed if they gave him the third year even at only 5 mil per instead of the 6 he got. Either way, trashing the guy for that kind of decision after all the time he's put in here is just lame.
Agreed. Marleau and Thornton have earned the right to do as they please. I’ll root for the Leafs if the sharks are eliminated from the playoffs this year as I would for Thornton if he were to leave.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I liked Kyle Mclarens hipchecks Mike Riccis Grit and Joe Pavelski's clutch in big games. Marleau and Thornton have great numbers in the playoffs, all I said was a side jab at marleau for who I thought needed a change of scenery 8 years ago and theres an entire armada of sharks fans after my head. I really like our chances this playoffs I think having 3 power forwards on separate lines will catch a lot of teams off guard. I think as long as we stay under the radar with Kane until playoffs we could win the cup this year.

I don't put any blame on Marleau or Thornton but on Mclellan, if anybody.

Last edited:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I liked Kyle Mclarens hipchecks Mike Riccis Grit and Joe Pavelski's clutch in big games. Marleau and Thornton have great numbers in the playoffs, all I said was a side jab at marleau for who I thought needed a change of scenery 8 years ago and theres an entire armada of sharks fans after my head. I really like our chances this playoffs I think having 3 power forwards on separate lines will catch a lot of teams off guard. I think as long as we stay under the radar with Kane until playoffs we could win the cup this year.

I don't put any blame on Marleau or Thornton but on Mclellan, if anybody.
I like that you referred to a group of Sharks fans as an armada. How else could we spend time with Sharks? It’s perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad