Speculation: 2017-18 Sharks roster discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There’s a world of difference between Haley and Karlsson. Yeah, Haley wasn’t great and we would always be better without him. He was a defensive liability and given DeBoer’s love of fourth line defensive faceoffs against opponents’ star forwards, it was a problem. 4th lines are important. Remember Vancouver in 2011, when Scott Nichol, Ben Eager, and whoever else (Jed Ortmeyer?) were all on the ice for like literally 40 seconds in game 2 (I think) and let in three goals against in those literal 40 seconds of ice time they had?

But at the same time, 4th liners have less ice time and typically play against opponents’ fourth liners (DeBoer’s favorite 4th line vs McDavid matchup notwithstanding). Karlsson is a different story. I’m completely fine with him playing on the fourth line. But the problem is that any time a player gets hurt or benched (Labanc, Boedker, etc. if the game is close in the third), Karlsson sees wildly increased minutes. Karlsson torpedoes the possession ability of whatever line he’s on in the top-9. So yeah, Karlsson is a bigger issue than Haley ever was. At least Haley was never played outside his reasonable capabilities.

I liked Hayes...

I liked Hayes but only because his name was ‘Eriah’ and that’s awesome.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Who would you all prefer on the 4th line alongside Fehr and Labanc once Thornton returns? Goodrow, Hansen, Sorensen, Ward, or Karlsson?

Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Couture
Boedker-Tierney-Meier
Labanc-Fehr-?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
So am I the only one that doesnt want cooch/hertl to be a pairing any more?

Its not so much that they're playing badly, but more that they dont make each other better. Considering they have played almost exclusively together this year at ES and are on the same PP unit. Cooch has only assisted on 5(3 Primary) of Hertls 15 goals, and Hertl has assisted on 9(6 Primary) of Cooch's 27 goals. That seems rather horrible to me, that they dont even participate in Half of each others goals, yet play almost exclusively together, at ES and on the PP.

I think it mainly boils down to them playing very differently. Cooch is much less of a cycling player, where Hertl is almost exclusively a cycling player. I honestly think Thornton should play with Hertl when he comes back. They have proven chemisty, and play the same game. I dont know what the lines would be in that case, especially if Kane/Pavs keep lighting it up.

Last edited:

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Jamal Mayers

Oh my god how could I forget. What a shitshow of a line.

Its not so much that they're playing badly, but more that they dont make each other better. Considering they have played almost exclusively together this year at ES and are on the same PP unit. Cooch has only assisted on 5(3 ES) of Hertls 15 goals, and Hertl has assisted on 9(6 ES) of Cooch's 27 goals. That seems rather horrible to me, that they dont even participate in Half of each others goals, yet play almost exclusively together, at ES and on the PP.

I think it mainly boils down to them playing very differently. Cooch is much less of a cycling player, where Hertl is almost exclusively a cycling player. I honestly think Thornton should play with Hertl when he comes back. They have proven chemisty, and play the same game. I dont know what the lines would be in that case, especially if Kane/Pavs keep lighting it up.

I somewhat agree. That line has been garbo lately.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

Its not so much that they're playing badly, but more that they dont make each other better. Considering they have played almost exclusively together this year at ES and are on the same PP unit. Cooch has only assisted on 5(3 ES) of Hertls 15 goals, and Hertl has assisted on 9(6 ES) of Cooch's 27 goals. That seems rather horrible to me, that they dont even participate in Half of each others goals, yet play almost exclusively together, at ES and on the PP.

Their performance as a line has been pretty good relative to the team.

They are receiving sub 900 sv on ice though which tanks their gf%

Hertl is boosted big time scoring wise by cooch where cooch sees the puck a lot more with hertl.

I think hertl would generate chances regardless, however, with couture youll see a higher conversion rate.

An interesting experiment would be to get kane on their line but there isnt enough games to glean anything from it.

But they are a good line.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Who would you all prefer on the 4th line alongside Fehr and Labanc once Thornton returns? Goodrow, Hansen, Sorensen, Ward, or Karlsson?

Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Hertl-Thornton-Couture
Boedker-Tierney-Meier
Labanc-Fehr-?

Probably Goodrow and I'm glad that it seems DeBoer feels the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad