Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The softest ducks lineup ever? It's time to let Carlyle run the team. Boll or an enforcer should return to the 4th line, Roy as predicted has been invisible and another Shannon,/Krog etc

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Yes because Carlyle has no input on who is or isn't in the lineup. Wake up.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Yes we are getting killed with speed and skill and defensive breakdowns, Boll is for sure the answer.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
The softest ducks lineup ever? It's time to let Carlyle run the team. Boll or an enforcer should return to the 4th line, Roy as predicted has been invisible and another Shannon,/Krog etc
RC has always been running the team, running it and the players into the ground. Roy has done more in his short time here than Boll has ever done, he’s cooled down for sure but he’s still done more than Boll ever has or ever could.

The sad thing is if Roy fought, you would love him. It’s only fighting you care about, not anything that actually helps the team win games.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Id still like to see Larsson get a look on bottom pairing when he returns... but if not and the coyotes mess is true, maybe a guy like hjarlmasson would be available and we could really fix our defense for a run this year.
Larsson won't be a consideration at all. We should be more concerned on whether Larsson will play again this season and if/when he's back this season if he can even put a run of at least a couple of months of games together at the AHL level, we're just asking for trouble putting a young defenceman with almost no gametime at all this season into the NHL level.

I'd rather keep Welinski up (for the time being at least) paired with Beauch on the 3rd pairing and see more of what he can do. Granted that would mean Bieksa is scratched.....so probably not going to happen.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I really think we should try out, and I don't mean for a shift or 2, or even a game or 2 I mean for a week or 2 and see how it develops.
Fowler + Manson
Lindholm + Montour

Id still like to see Larsson get a look on bottom pairing when he returns... but if not and the coyotes mess is true, maybe a guy like hjarlmasson would be available and we could really fix our defense for a run this year.

I agree 100%.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Isn't it nice that Bob gave Holzer a 2 year deal last summer?
Who cares? After a little over 2 seasons of being a reliable extra defenseman, and being on one year contracts, we rewarded him with an extra year of security. If he sucks we can just waive or buy him out no problem. No issue with his contract.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Who cares? After a little over 2 seasons of being a reliable extra defenseman, and being on one year contracts, we rewarded him with an extra year of security. If he sucks we can just waive or buy him out no problem. No issue with his contract.
We are a budget team. We can't just piss money away like we were the Leafs. Buyouts still cost 2/3 of the contract. It's still real money for a team that always has an internal budget. Guys like Holzer should never be given more than one year deals. They are marginal NHLers who are replaceable. We're already paying Despres for the next 8 years and Eaves is likely done as well. We can't afford to bleed money.

Reactions: Paul4587

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
We are a budget team. We can't just piss money away like we were the Leafs. Buyouts still cost 2/3 of the contract. It's still real money for a team that always has an internal budget. Guys like Holzer should never be given more than one year deals. They are marginal NHLers who are replaceable. We're already paying Despres for the next 8 years and Eaves is likely done as well. We can't afford to bleed money.
I wonder why he hasn’t been put on ltir

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

That's an absurd comment. Do you honestly think it was Murray putting Boll in the lineup each night. Carlyle realized how awful Boll was. Roy hasn't been good the last game or 2, but saying Boll should be in over him makes no sense at all. Boll is not physical. He fights, that's it. I'm all for having a more physical team, but if you think Boll is the answer, then you should just say that you want a fighter on the 4th line. He doesn't even enforce Dirk. Jesus.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He fights and gets his ass kicked

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
He fights and gets his ass kicked

I don't really have a problem with him losing most of his fights. My problem with Boll is that he doesn't enforce. I actually don't mind "staged" enforcer fights. I think there's a right time and place to do it, and sometimes it does inspire the team. However, to dress a player who's simply there to fight/enforce, they have to be great at it. Boll is a TERRIBLE enforcer. Teams don't fear him on the ice. He doesn't retaliate if someone takes liberties with one of our stars. Fighting the other teams "tough guy" does nothing.

Liambas isn't very good, but he's 10x the enforcer Boll is. I think an enforcer has to walk that line of being dirty. Teams know when Liambas is on the ice because he takes runs at guys. I love that. That's what an enforcer is all about. Long story short, Boll isn't an enforcer anymore, he's a fighter. There's no room left in the game for someone who sucks at hockey and doesn't enforce. That's coming from someone who likes fighting too.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
An NHL team, at least one trying to compete, can’t afford to consistently play players who, well, can’t play. Boll provides f*** all. Putting him in the line-up because you’re living in the past is a terrible decision.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Boll, "the enforcer" has been beaten, or maybe had a draw in most of his fights, and they were staged fights.
He's a better player than deterrent these days, and he's an awful player. I'd like us to play tougher as well, but for
Gawd's sake Boll is NOT ANY answer for any problem on the Ducks

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If we want to carry an enforcer Sabourin should be called up. Boll is terrible at fighting and hockey and Liambas is almost as bad at hockey as Boll but at least enforces. Sabourin can actually contribute, he has a bit of skill and can fight also. It’s a shame he was injured earlier when Liambas got some games in.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
This is arguably the fastest most skilled team.since the cup. They need physical play and start playing tougher

Boll is not the answer. I wonder if the Reaves experiment is over in Pittsburgh? I could live with that if he insists on having an enforcer in the lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad