NCAA: 2017-18 Playoff/New Years Six Watch

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
How far does Miami fall? I honestly think they’re done even if they beat Clemson. The committee loves factoring in when you lose.
Well, in scouring twitter, a lot of the so-called "experts" seem to think if Miami beats Clemson they will get in. I sure hope they are right, though at this point I don't see them beating Clemson.

One little factoid to point out......last year Pitt beat Clemson IN CLEMSON on November 12 and Clemson still went on to win the National Championship, so I still think there is hope for the U as long as we see the team that pummeled Notre Dame & not the team we saw today.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
2 of those 3 losses would be to the top 2 teams in the country and the 3rd would be against another ranked team.

You sound like Kirby Hocutt. Why are quality loses more important than quality wins? They have good loses sure but only 1 quality win over Georgia. Georgia is a better win than Memphis but they still have 3 loses, you can't have 3 loses and be ranked above an undefeated team, it's just ridiculous.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My hunches based on the following scenarios and assuming Clemson wins tonight....

Clemson gets in if they beat Miami.
Wisconsin gets in if they beat Ohio State.
Oklahoma gets in if they beat TCU.
Georgia gets in if they beat Auburn.
Auburn gets in if they beat Georgia.
Alabama gets in if Clemson, Wisconsin, or Oklahoma lose.
Miami gets in if they beat Clemson and Wisconsin or Oklahoma lose.
Ohio State gets in if they beat Wisconsin and both Clemson and Oklahoma lose.

Nobody else can get in, not even TCU if they beat Oklahoma and both Wisconsin and Clemson lose (SEC/Big Ten/ACC champs + Alabama get in ahead of them imho).

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I would think that now it is down to:

Winner of ACC
Winner of SEC
Wisconsin if they win
Oklahoma if they win

Alabama if Wisc or Oklahoma lose
Ohio St if both Wisc/Oklahoma lose

I can't see how any other team gets in at this point. The only thing is maybe they put Alabama in even if both Wisconsin and Oklahoma wins but that would be a real tough call especially if it is 2 loss Auburn that wins the SEC and also goes in.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why it doesn't change whether you guys get in or not.

Or do you think it gives you a better chance at not getting embarrassed in the bowl game you get sent to?

Because after we smoke another overrated P5 team in a NY6 bowl, we will be the only undefeated team in the country. The committee will be forced to go to 8 teams to make it fair to more teams than the Big name ones.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Because after we smoke another overrated P5 team in a NY6 bowl, we will be the only undefeated team in the country. The committee will be forced to go to 8 teams to make it fair to more teams than the Big name ones.

James Madison could easily be undefeated as well.

Also not sure why that would make them expand the play-offs to 8 when there have been much better teams than UCF left out in the past.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
If Ohio State wins they will probably be in. Be interesting to see if bama gets in before them

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
James Madison could easily be undefeated as well.

Also not sure why that would make them expand the play-offs to 8 when there have been much better teams than UCF left out in the past.

They'll have an undefeated team not make the playoffs and possibly two P5 conferences left out as well. There's going to be a lot of pressure on the committee to change things or expand.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They’ll likely expand eventually but it’s not going to be because of an undefeated UCF team missing out. There will very likely be outrage this year but it won’t be because of UCF.

In the end the expansion will happen because of the money whenever that may be.

Reactions: Cody Webster

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Regarding Alabama, I think it's a pretty close comparable to Ohio State from 2015, not last years team.

Reasoning is:
-tOSU (2016) had 3 top 10 wins with 2 on the road
-tOSU (2015) and Alabama this year really didn't play anyone and their best wins are pretty comparable. I don't think anyone would really disagree that the tOSU (2015) wasn't one of the best teams that year, they just choked.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Notre Dame will be out of the New Year's Mix with that loss.

Sep 19, 2008
People keep saying this, it isn't true.

People are Forde and other college football reporters who keep bringing up Alabama's abysmal SOS. Alabama avoided scheduling competition because "SEC is tuff enough" and they were barely challenged. Biggest win this season was either A) against Florida State who doesn't seem that good right now and B) Mississippi State who ended up losing to Ole Miss. Not really any impressive wins on their resume compared to other teams.

Alabama could sneak in which would trigger the rest of the college football world. But if you take the "Alabama" name and allure out of the equation, they are simply a team who was undefeated playing nobodies who just lost their chance to win the SEC division. A team shouldn't be able to get in on name and tradition alone. That being said, the biggest reason for them being in is money. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People are Forde and other college football reporters who keep bringing up Alabama's abysmal SOS. Alabama avoided scheduling competition because "SEC is tuff enough" and they were barely challenged. Biggest win this season was either A) against Florida State who doesn't seem that good right now and B) Mississippi State who ended up losing to Ole Miss. Not really any impressive wins on their resume compared to other teams.

Alabama could sneak in which would trigger the rest of the college football world. But if you take the "Alabama" name and allure out of the equation, they are simply a team who was undefeated playing nobodies who just lost their chance to win the SEC division. A team shouldn't be able to get in on name and tradition alone. That being said, the biggest reason for them being in is money. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.
Alabama actually does schedule opponents. This year it was Florida State and unfortunately for them, they suffered a big injury and couldn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad