NCAA: 2017-18 Playoff/New Years Six Watch

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Because as much as you try to spin it not all teams with winning or losing records are the same.

This isn't the NFL where teams are roughly equal and the schedules for the most part are similar so that a 9-7 team is close to another 9-7 team. Just using a teams record and not looking at the opponent is useless.
Except that isn't the case in the NFL. The strength of schedule for teams varies significantly. How many times has a team with a weak schedule outperformed expectations and the next year crashed to earth with a strong schedule? The thing is that if a team in a D1 conference can go undefeated and not even be close to a playoff spot than the whole system is a fraud. If you want to at least make it honest just make D1 consist of the power 5 schools and have the other schools classified as their own tier between D1 and FCS.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Except that isn't the case in the NFL. The strength of schedule for teams varies significantly. How many times has a team with a weak schedule outperformed expectations and the next year crashed to earth with a strong schedule? The thing is that if a team in a D1 conference can go undefeated and not even be close to a playoff spot than the whole system is a fraud. If you want to at least make it honest just make D1 consist of the power 5 schools and have the other schools classified as their own tier between D1 and FCS.

The gap between the top NFL teams and bottom NFL teams is much smaller than the top teams in NCAA div. 1.

And I have no problem with your solution of splitting Div. 1 into more tiers.

I am also not sure the system is a fraud anymore than putting an inferior team in the play-off just because they are undefeated would be a fraud. This isn't professional sports where you go by record alone, who and how you play matters and with the amount of teams out there it should matter.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I would guess that the SOS of the opponents of the opponents count for something as well, but I'm not sure.

Which I get but it's always going lean towards the P5 because they play 9-10 games vs other P5 while the G5 plays that amount vs other G5. But there's just bad teams no matter what conference they're in. A victory over Illinois shouldn't count more than one over UConn. Both are just terrible football teams, you shouldn't get more credit for better one because they lose to better teams, Illinois will lose yo just about anybody they put in front of them just like UConn will. You just somehow get 5 extra SOS points for the Illinois win.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
SOS takes almost everything into account really. You really can’t deny most of the placements

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
SOS takes almost everything into account really. You really can’t deny most of the placements

Again I don't know how it fully works, I just know UCF has beaten the same number of FBS schools with a .500 or better record than several teams ahead of them and more than a couple of teams. They have top 25 wins too yet they are 40 or 50 spots behind some of these teams which I don't get. According to ESPN playoff simulator there's several 2 loss teams that have a much higher chance to make it over them. You would think going undefeated would mean something?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because as much as you try to spin it not all teams with winning or losing records are the same.

This isn't the NFL where teams are roughly equal and the schedules for the most part are similar so that a 9-7 team is close to another 9-7 team. Just using a teams record and not looking at the opponent is useless.

This. Alabama has wins over an 8-4 Mississippi State and 9-3 LSU and 7-5 Texas A&M. Much different than beating Memphis, SMU and USF.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This. Alabama has wins over an 8-4 Mississippi State and 9-3 LSU and 7-5 Texas A&M. Much different than beating Memphis, SMU and USF.

I agree, victories over USF, SMU and Memphis are much better than the SEC trio. That trio has 7 combined wins against FBS teams with a .500 or better record. They aren't very good this year.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Don't get how Clemson is #1 but that's just me. This is setting up to be Clemson/Alabama Oklahoma/Georgia

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't get how Clemson is #1 but that's just me. This is setting up to be Clemson/Alabama Oklahoma/Georgia

I guess you think Ohio State will win, and they’ll put a non-SEC champ Bama in ahead of a B1G champ but two loss OSU?

I get that it happened last year that the B1G champ got left out, but I doubt it happens again.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ohio State probably wins by 20. No idea what happens then. If it was a closer game it would be easy to leave them out.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Don't see anyway the Buckeyes make it.

That's where I'm at. I cannot, for the life of me, see OSU get in over Bama. That would be crazy. Their best chance would probably have to be..

Georgia wins - in.
Clemson wins - in.
OK wins - in.
OSU wins by a huge amount....

and even at that, the debate of Bama vs. OSU has to go Bama's way. That loss to Iowa is bad. And this OSU team, IMO, would get beat by Bama. This was a reload year for OSU. I expect playoffs or bust next year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Neither Miss St. nor Texas A&M have anything resembling a quality win since September.

So what?

They both likely easily role Memphis or USF.

Seems like all that is going on is trying to point out that some of the teams on Alabama's (or other teams schedule) might have a few less impressive wins as well while ignoring the fact that they are flat out better than the garbage on UCF's schedule.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
So what?

They both likely easily role Memphis or USF.

Seems like all that is going on is trying to point out that some of the teams on Alabama's (or other teams schedule) might have a few less impressive wins as well while ignoring the fact that they are flat out better than the garbage on UCF's schedule.

We'll see what happens in Bowl season. I really doubt MSU or ATM would "easily roll" Memphis or USF. There is no reason to believe either of those teams are very good besides S-E-C! S-E-C! S-E-C! Mississippi State's #23 ranking is in the realm of the absurd. They are basically getting credit for getting their ass totally kicked by Auburn, Georgia, and keeping it close against Alabama. A tough schedule means zilch when you lose every single one of the tough games. Except to the committee I guess. A&M blew a 40 point lead to UCLA this year, and followed it up by almost losing to Nicholls State. Predictably, their coach has been fired. Why they would ever be brought up as an example of a quality win, I have no idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad